Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a couple threads on trucker but not anything that really cord what I'm wondering.

I have Deore 4 piston brakes with Shimano D02S pads. Coming from 2 piston Xt brakes with metallic pads on my old bike. The old brakes definitely grab harder, which is a feel I'm looking for. Not averse to eventually upgrading calipers (and levers, if needed) but not for a while.

Current pads definitely brake and work just not like the XTs. Short version is I'm happy enough and could live with it but if pads can make an improvement I'd try it.

Had anyone that's used Trucker co pads also used Shimano? Thinking of ordering semi-metallic pads to give them a try.

Should I give metallic or semi metallic a try? Any other options I should think about? Saw a couple mentions about Swiss stops but not much.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
885 Posts
Should I give metallic or semi metallic a try? Any other options I should think about?
If you're like me, and you're curious about a product, you can never be content until you try it out for yourself. But you asked for opinions, so here it goes. Avoid metallic pads. They last a long time, but they're noisy. Even under the best conditions, they'll make more sound, and that bugs me. I like quiet. And really, the differences in stopping power doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Off the top of my head, I've used various pads from Avid, SRAM, Hayes, Galfer, Disco, and KoolStop. Maybe others, I don't know. The pads that leave me with the biggest smile on my face are KoolStop. They're more economically priced, they're quiet, they provide good power and modulation, and they last as long as everything else, except of course metallic pads.

·
Registered
340 Posts
i just bought a set of 4 Trucker pads for my XC bike. Couldn’t get over how inexpensive they were. There is a reason they are so cheap. Few miles into my ride they were loud as hell. Yes I did burn them in correctly. They had great power and on the steep stuff when I was able to get hard on the brakes they were quiet. But anything that required finess low to mid speed the were horrible. Just ordered a set of Koolstop to try next

·
Registered
477 Posts
I agree with @RustyIron about trying them out. They are cheap enough to try out and see for yourself. I have used and continue to use TruckerCo pads. I use the metallics and do not find them to be very noisy. You will find many conflicting opinions and the best way to find out for yourself is to just try them.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
I've used the TC pads on a couple bikes and I've had no issues. I'm currently using the yellow ones with my Magura brakes. They don't feel any worse than my other bike with Shimano brakes with the Shimano resin pads. Once the pads in my Shimano brakes wear out...I'll probably just replace them with the TC pads.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,696 Posts
I too have tried them , Twice. I tried the semi-metallic They were quiet for the first few rides and then the got noisy. It sounded like someone running metal to metal on their car brakes. It annoyed the heck out of me. I went bake to Shimano resin pads. If you are looking for more initial bite on your brakes it is my understanding that the Shimano resin pads offer the most that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Been using MTX red label pads in my xt 8120's for ~month. They are a ceramic compound with copper flakes. A little bit cheaper than OE sintered. So far I am satisfied. They've been quiet and have good power. Not sure about wear, but definitely better than organic. They are supposed to modulate better than OE or sintered, I think they do a bit better. I'd need to do a back to back test to really determine if there was any difference.

·
Never trust a fart
4,546 Posts
I've always been a fan of either the Shimano resin pads or KoolStops organic/semi-metallic. I've used both with great success. The Kool Stops are a few dollars less than the Shimano IME. Even use Kool Stops on my road bike (dual compound).

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everybody... and sorry I took a little bit to get back. Like a few mentioned I think I'm going to get a few of the brands you guys recommended and see what the different pads feel (and sound) like once they're worn in.

Appreciate it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.