Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Paper or plastic?
10,173 Posts
6.0 in Carson City. We'll see if there's any damage tomorrow.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,711 Posts
That's getting up there where there could be some.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
It wasn't 6.0 in Carson, or anywhere else. That was just the preliminary estimate. 4.7, followed by a 3.2 and a 3.1.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,173 Posts
It wasn't 6.0 in Carson, or anywhere else. That was just the preliminary estimate. 4.7, followed by a 3.2 and a 3.1.
Awesome, I was just looking at the USGS alert on my phone. Shouldn't be too bad then

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,711 Posts
Yeah, frequent earthquake user here, they usually revise the initial estimate after some analysis, sometimes min or hours after the recording.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Did USGS ever say it was a 6.0? I received an alert of a 6.0 on my phone, but that seems to have come from a different provider. Maybe that provider is using USGS' API, but a few seconds after the earthquake hit I went to the USGS site and it said 4.7. Seems a little irresponsible to just start throwing out big numbers if they're knowingly inaccurate.

Also, it never felt like a 6.0. I have a bike leaned up against the wall in my garage and it's still standing strong. No issues here.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Wife and I were in pool and noticed the water sloshing a little. I wondered if it was a quake. Oh well, we headed to the epicenter tonight!

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,051 Posts
Yeah, frequent earthquake user here, they usually revise the initial estimate after some analysis, sometimes min or hours after the recording.
Yeah, like "Sorry, folks, it was just a big truck going by. Our bad."

·
Registered
93 Posts
The 6.0 prediction was from these guys. ShakeAlert® | Earthquake Early Warning

It's an early warning system designed to give people a few seconds notice before the big one hits. No one ever reported that a 6.0 quake happened.

They partnered with google to push notifications to most phones in CA: Earthquake detection and early alerts, now on your Android phone

While the prediction was way off, it's pretty impressive that they could even see a bigger quake coming. Earthquakes have been impossible to forecast for the most part so far. But clearly they need to educate people more about how to use the alerts correctly/ not misinterpret them.

·
Registered
709 Posts
King's Beach. It was a pretty solid shake for the whole house. One cat flipped out, the other one was like "hmmmm? whatever"

·
Registered
410 Posts
The 6.0 prediction was from these guys. ShakeAlert® | Earthquake Early Warning

It's an early warning system designed to give people a few seconds notice before the big one hits. No one ever reported that a 6.0 quake happened.

They partnered with google to push notifications to most phones in CA: Earthquake detection and early alerts, now on your Android phone

While the prediction was way off, it's pretty impressive that they could even see a bigger quake coming. Earthquakes have been impossible to forecast for the most part so far. But clearly they need to educate people more about how to use the alerts correctly/ not misinterpret them.
Yeah, that's the one. Thanks.

Nobody is predicting a quake - it's an early warning system. When a quake is detected people in the area are notified, and if you're far enough from the epicenter then it becomes possible that you'll receive the notification before the earthquake gets to your location. There's some pretty fantastic benefits that could come of this, including automated systems and mass transit being able to slow down (or stop completely) to reduce the risk of damage/injury before the earthquake arrives at the location. More info is here: Earthquake Early Warning at the Berkeley Seismo Lab

As for me, here in Truckee I received the alert a few seconds after it happened. Epicenter was 19km away.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pretty funny. A friend of mine in Truckee said exactly this: "Felt like a big truck went by"
I lived in Ridgecrest and that's how they usually felt. I moved away about 15 years ago now so I wasn't there for the big one a couple years back. If you are accustomed to little shakes all the time, there will be a big one someday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts