Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to replace my Dakine tailgate pad and while I've been reasonably happy with it I'm wondering:

Do the tailgate pads with the segmented blocks for the downtube make a significant improvement in lateral movement (or lack thereof!) vs those that are just straps only? Like this for example:

· Registered
911 Posts
I absolutely despised the Dakine DLX I bought. Tried it for one trip and returned it immediately. I was only able to properly secure 1 of the 5 bikes we were hauling with the straps. The Yakima pad we have now with the better strap design and padded cradle is WAY better. No complaints and it was pretty reasonably priced.

· Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, I picked up the Backcountry pad while it's on sale. I have a Rocky Mounts Monorail that I use for long haul stuff but even for my short haul use the Dakine had too much lateral play to make me get one w/o blocks again. Happy to have the confirmation that the blocks work well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.