Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting an F-150 supercrew in the next couple of weeks and will be installing a hard folding bed cover and a Bed Rug that only covers the bottom of the bed and not the sides. Bikes will be carried on a OneUp rack that I use now. I'm use to an SUV where my helmet, shoes, tool box, pump, towels, etc. sat in the back of the SUV for when I needed it and didn't roll around or make noise. I move those items from the SUV to garage after each ride. I didn't use any storage boxes and let them just sit back there and it worked fine.

With a big truck bed I worry that they will move around even with the Bed Rug and if they work their way towards the cab they will be out of reach without climbing into the bed. My cheap solution idea is to use plastic storage bins (probably only 1) and leave it back there full time. I still think it could slide around unless I secure it.

My expensive solution is swinging truck cases like this. I'm not too worried about the room they would take up in the bed but I'm looking for feedback from anyone that's used them on how they work for mountain bike purposes. I want to avoid using the backseat for storage since the bed will be locked via tailgate/hard folding cover.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Back in my pickup days, I used a wheel well box thingy. There are some nice ones these days.

The very thing you're trying to solve is why I've stuck to full sized SUV's for many years now.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,559 Posts
I use a reusable shopping bag for everything that fits. Helmet, shoes, gloves, pads (if they're going), towels etc. Pump goes behind the seat. Most of the stuff is going inside to get washed (or at least put away) anyway.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use a duffle / gym type bag and just toss it where ever it needs to go. I have one for my mtb stuff and one for my road bike stuff. always clean packed and ready to go whatever I want to ride. also I drive a truck and my net vehicle will be a full size van. inside storage and carry more people comfortably and hopefully more security on road trips.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
i wouldnt do the rug

i have a factory f150 rubber mat. it provides good traction to things i dont want sliding around
you have tie down hooks in the corners and a rachet strap will also help hold the boxes against the tailgate

finally i have marine carpet that i cut to go over the rubber mat. this carpet has a rubber backing that also sticks well to the rubber bed mat.

so basically lots of options.

i also used adhesive backed velcro and trunk liner to make myself a tailgate pad. nice to sit on and keeps items from scratching the tailgate. in the winter i set my ice fishing gear on it so it gets plenty of use.

hope that helps

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think most every truck these days has the slots for boards. Usually another set near the front. It’s one of those things that most people never notice unless they work in construction etc.

Also, you can get tons of additional tiedowns on most newer trucks. There are usually blanks in the bed you can cut out and mount them on. Helps a ton as well.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've used storage bins in my Ridgeline all the time and they don't slide around. Though the Ridgeline has a slight texture to the bed. But my Ridgeline also have a locking trunk perfect for these types of things. I also use the under rear seat storage sometimes too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.