Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always carried my bikes in the open bed of my truck with simple tie downs. Just curious what some of you do or have installed in your bed. Have seen some guys that'll hang their front fork over the tailgate with a tailgate pad over it. Have seem some build cross bars to attach forks to. etc...

Post up some pics if you got em carrying a few bikes!

Thanks

(basically looking to see if anyone has any ingenious ideas out there:)

J

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use the Instigater by Sportworks/Thule. Comes out of the box ready to use. Don't have to take off the wheel. Simply lock down the arm on the wheel and you're good to go. Doesn't damage the bike or your truck. Have used it for over a year now and couldn't be happier.

·
Old,slow,still havin fun.
1,088 Posts
Another happy Instigater user here. Gets pricey for more than one bike, but I don't have that problem at the moment. There's directions here on making your own rack with PVC.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Jordansrealm said:
I've always carried my bikes in the open bed of my truck with simple tie downs. Just curious what some of you do or have installed in your bed. Have seen some guys that'll hang their front fork over the tailgate with a tailgate pad over it. Have seem some build cross bars to attach forks to. etc...

Thanks

J
I would post some pics, but they are all saveed at home!

I found them ALL by utiliznig the SEARCH FUNCTION!

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Here is how to make one out of PVC for about $20 bucks. Plans for 3 or 4 bikes.

·
smooth over everything
48 Posts
Insta-gater all the way. They're super quick and easy to use. Takes 2 seconds to load a bike. I bolted a yakima bar in the front of my bed to attach mine to so I can use my tail-gate without removing the racks. Gotta have somewhere to sit while drinking beer pre/postride! :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
ive posted this here before, but here is my setup. 2005 nissan frontier, modified some track pieces to mount the fork block to. Very simple really...

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
Jordansrealm said:

Thanks

J
I used a Thule Instigater for a while and didn't like how wobbly it was-going over bumps, my bike would bounce all over the place. It was one of the first ones made and maybe they've gotten better by now. I finally just went with a single locking fork mount at the right rear corner of the bed. That takes care of one bike, and I can use tie-downs for any others and then just lock them to the first.

·
utilitarian biker
464 Posts

These are the best racks for truck beds. I have two when I owned an F350. Simple and fast!

If you want I still have them . Sold the truck and don't have a use for them. Send me a PM if you want to buy them. They are like new. I'll give you a deal, I have 2

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just use tie-downs when I'm going to be driving on rough roads or with multiple bikes. When I'm solo and and pavement I use the old-fashioned lie-down system

·
Mojo0115
1,667 Posts
I have a camper on the back of my truck and often have a bed set up in the back. So putting bikes inside the camper for security often was tedious and putting them on the top didn't work when I was driving the back roads of places like moab.

So I had a custom rack built by a local welding company that I absolutely love. It cost just around $300 and it let me add a 2nd thule box to the top.

Most of the time I just toss one bike on either side, but on road trips when I set up a tent I often switch to putting the bikes inside so they are out of sight when we are visiting places like Whistler where bike thefts just seem a little to high for my taste.

·
Log off and go ride!
1,817 Posts
I use a setup similar to TrailDaddy's, but less complex. I just have a couple of fork locks on a single 2x6 that sits down in my bed slots. A bungee across the rear tires to keep them from dancing sideways. Cheap ($15?), low tech, functional.

I have locks for two bikes and have them clustered to the left side. The handlebars actually intertwine. This leaves the rest of my bed free for all the other gear I lug around.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts