Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 03 Nissan Frontier Crew cab. I would like to get some input on what is working best for anyone using or has used a "bed mount" rack. I have a Yakima roof rack that came off the car I sold and thought about putting it on the truck since the roof line is long. But, figured the height would make it a pain to get the bike mounted.
I have looked at the Yakima Bedhead online.....has anyone got any experience with that system? I am also curious about Thules extention bar rack. Are there any others that are worth looking at out there?
Any input, ideas, notions, suggestions, remarks, donations, Yakima gift certificates would be greatly appreciated. Well, just let me know what's good. Donations and gift certificates are optional.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a full size pickup with a shell. I cut 2-2x6's to fit behind the wheel wells long enough to just close the tail gate. I through bolted 2 Snap Arounds (the pieces that hold a wire cargo basket to the cross bar) to the 2x6's and ran a single cross bar through them. I have 2 fork mounts and 2 wheel holders on the cross bar. I just roll my bike in backwards without the front wheel, attach my forks to the fork mount and my front wheel to the wheel mount. Works great.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have seen fork mounts similar to any other that you bolt to the bed. The difference was these had a (not accurate numbers, just a guess on size) say a 5/8ths inc bolt with a 1/4 inch hole in the middle. you drill a hole in your bed, put the big bolts in, use a nut on the other side to secure it. Then the inner 1/4 inch hole is tapped, so you can bolt a regular fork mount for a bed to it, and remove it if needed.
Im useless because I cant provide a link, I cant find them again. :(

Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
mule said:
I had a full size pickup with a shell. I cut 2-2x6's to fit behind the wheel wells long enough to just close the tail gate. I through bolted 2 Snap Arounds (the pieces that hold a wire cargo basket to the cross bar) to the 2x6's and ran a single cross bar through them. I have 2 fork mounts and 2 wheel holders on the cross bar. I just roll my bike in backwards without the front wheel, attach my forks to the fork mount and my front wheel to the wheel mount. Works great.
Oh, the stuff is Yakima. You can see the Snap Arounds if you bring up the instruction for their cago basket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had an older set of Yakima roof hardware around. Bought a piece of 1-1/4" steel galvanized conduit pipe, cut it to fit across the bed, and simply clamped the fork assemblies around the pipe. My shell is rather low at the door so I have to remove the seatpost - no biggee. Shove the bike in, rear wheel first, and clamp the fork in. Easy...simple... Pipe doesn't have to be bolted down. It "floats" but bike doesn't drift around at all.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Konapdlr said:
I just bought a 03 Nissan Frontier Crew cab. I would like to get some input on what is working best for anyone using or has used a "bed mount" rack. I have a Yakima roof rack that came off the car I sold and thought about putting it on the truck since the roof line is long. But, figured the height would make it a pain to get the bike mounted.
I have looked at the Yakima Bedhead online.....has anyone got any experience with that system? I am also curious about Thules extention bar rack. Are there any others that are worth looking at out there?
Any input, ideas, notions, suggestions, remarks, donations, Yakima gift certificates would be greatly appreciated. Well, just let me know what's good. Donations and gift certificates are optional.

Thanks
Check out Instagator Racks, they made for P/U trucks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just sold my Nissan 02 Frountier Crew Cab

I used the SportWorks Insta-Gator from Thuleracks now http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=75&sku=254100 A fine piece of equipment. I also had a Yakima locking Blockhead in the bed. The Insta-Gator works great for anything, including 20mm axles. The blockhead for removable wheels on the mountain/road bike. BTW, just happen to have a Insta-Gator in very good condition in the garage - won't fit on my new Jetta :D .

Rick

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Instagator is the only rack, period

I should be their spokesperson! I love my rack. It takes about five seconds to install it, another three seconds to put the bike in it. Later, it takes one second to take the bike out (already assembled and ready to go, since you don't mess with the front wheel). It costs $100 per bike, which is cheaper than most other racks.
Should I go on....?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
rzims said:
Another vote for the 2x6 with fork mounts - I mounted 3 of the Performance fork mounts (on sale for 9.99ea) plus the 2x6 came to less than 50 bucks

-Rich
Add me to the list. Got one in the back of my pickup. Works great and was less then $25, total.

·
Registered
4 Posts
gdunha said:
I have a homemade rack out of PVC (http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/bikerack/makerack.htm)

But I really like the looks of the rec-rac for multiple bikes and also because you can easily lock the bikes. I am looking a eventually bu this one when I have the funds.

Thanks
That link did not work. I really would like to check that out. utahmountainbiking.com is a great site lots of info there. I searched around for the bikerack link but did not find it. Any ideas?

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
badlander said:
I used the SportWorks Insta-Gator from Thuleracks now http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=75&sku=254100 A fine piece of equipment. I also had a Yakima locking Blockhead in the bed. The Insta-Gator works great for anything, including 20mm axles. The blockhead for removable wheels on the mountain/road bike. BTW, just happen to have a Insta-Gator in very good condition in the garage - won't fit on my new Jetta :D .

Rick
Dang! You guys gave me alot of options. BTW badlander.....I just happen to have a 5 month old Yakima roof rack in good condition that came off my Acura Vigor in my garage.

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
skiahh said:
Mounted over the bed keeps the bed open for all the stuff.
You have got me curious with that setup. Since I already have the roof rack....I obviously need longer bars. I didn't know there were clips that would mount to the bed(walls). Is that a Yakima or Thule setup?

·
Registered
189 Posts
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.