Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wherewolf said:
Please start a new thread
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had just PM'd K-Max to ask him to start a new thread since the other two have over a 100 responses between them. Time to merge the planning for both rides. Where/what time do we meet? Who's doing what ride? What happens after the ride? And most importantly, we need to make sure we have sufficient shuttle vehicles. So why don't you start a new one?
So, here it is.

It looks like the East Bay carpool(s) will be leaving Friday evening. Can we get a shout out to get an idea of who is looking to jump in on Morgan's offer? I expect that there will be enough of us that we can take turns at the wheel on the way home.

Who is planning on riding the A ride and who the B ride? The B ride will be what is described as the punisher.

Edit - Shuttling is now a topic of discussion. Depending on the number of A group riders and shuttle vehicles, and the preference of the vehicle owners, the B group riders can ride with the A group to Spooner and shuttle the vehicles to Kingsbury to shorten the finish time. How do drivers feel about this? If this is a go, I would recommend bringing 2 sets of keys in case of bailout.

Head count based on discussion in all 3 threads as of 7/19 8pm
A Ride:
morganfletcher - water filter, radio(s?)
Big Boulder - radio(s?)
Fast Eddy
K-Max
jilm - water filter
imridingmybike (+2) - water filter
0gre - water filter
jdubsl2(?)
Impy(?)
bustamove(?)
merlin(?)
zon(?)
TahoeBC(?)

B Ride:
Dan'ger - water filter
Wherewolf - camera
grrrah - iodine tabs
8Trak - carpooling with Dan'ger
29erchico (& crew)
george_da_trog(?)
jrm(?)
ibisGuy(?)

East Bay carpool Friday to Saturday nights - if the number gets big, we can take my truck as well.
morganfletcher
Fast Eddy
8Trak
Dan'ger
imridingmybike (+2)

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
B ride

B ride for me. I assume since everybody finishes at the bottom of Toads that will be the meeting place Saturday morning? How about some directions/map and a meeting time? I expect people could be finishing the ride two or more hours apart, with me last, so could someone please expand upon the post ride plan? Can anybody tell me about this ride vis-à-vis bringing the helmet cam? Will I just be pushing my bike up hill all the time or will there be some extended downhills worth taping?

·
gimme friction
1,133 Posts
Have fun, y'all!

This ride sounds like a Grade A cluster----, but of course I'm just jealous that I couldn't commit to the overnight pajama party. I'll be looking forward to the stellar pictures, war stories, and ride video.

Dan, I hope you cut ventilation holes in your new helmet, cuz it's gonna be HOT up there.

Drew Dawg and I will be riding Brockaway Summit on Sunday the 23rd, so don't feel too bad for us. :cool:

Also, jus' try and keep up with that MF character...he's been riding WIND TRAINERS in his GARAGE in the Oakland hills, training for this ride.;)

Again, have fun, and above all, be safe!

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I'm in for the B ride.

if possible, can I get a shuttle ride from someone from the bottom of toads (meeting spot)to the start of the ride. I will be getting dropped off. and also if possible, but not as needed would be a ride to south lake after the ride.

oh, and just to repeat wherewolf's question, meeting time? I think this depends on when the A group wants to get started.

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
I'm in

Riding up with MF on Friday and doing the 'A' ride. Does anyone want to commute to the commute from San Jo'?

Anyone who's bringing a water filter should speak up too. I don't (currently) have one.

Ed

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
It is possible to do this ride without a filter. 100oz camel back and a Large water bottle, will get you to a stream just beyond Star lake that I've drank straight out of for over a decade without a problem. Also there is the store along the way to the Stage coach lift.

The stream is the second one you will pass halfway between Star lake and Freel pass, first one flows steeply down a 90 degree bend in the trail. Second one rolls thru a flat section of trail, walk up steam a bit away from the trail, and enjoy ice cold refreshing water. Downed a couple bottles worth last Saturday with no ill effects.

See photo I took on Saturday before filling up.

Still on the fence on if I'll be joining this ride or not, if so I'll get my own shuttle to Spooner summit, any estimates of when people will arrive up there. Depending on how I feel I might also be getting up at the crack and starting this ride from Rose, if I start by 6:00 I'll probably be rolling up to Spooner Summit by 8:30.

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Hey all, I'm back. And spun from getting home at 3:30 am so I'll add more detail later. But for now, I think the plan is to converge at 7 am at the little parking area that is "the bottom of Toad's". We need a pinpointed Google map. Anyone know this exact spot? If not, I'll figure it out this afternoon and post here. Basically, this is the most important piece of info, so we know who all is riding and we can consolidate properly. We'll end there, so we'll keep our coolers of chi-chi microbrew and chips & salsa, etc. in other vehicles and have it available post-ride. Then we can decide if we can/should meet up for dinner. It may be easier to decide on the fly than to predetermine a dinner time and place and then not make it due to delays. I'm less concerned with what happens afterward and more focused on getting going at a decent hour and ending before dark!

·
Registered
668 Posts
map and plot

Can't make the ride coming weekend but was intrigued by the stories about the 'Punisher' so I went on a pre-ride last saturday. Below is a map of the Toad's trailhead (the start of the upper red line); drive to the end of Oneidas rd, through a gate, then there is a small parking lot hundred yards or so further: if you see a mile marker with 'Toads' written on it, you've got the right spot.

I hadn't done the Punisher or Toad's before and didn't want to take a shuttle so I started out riding the road to Daggett's Pass - now that I know better I can't really recommend this; the road climbing wasn't too bad (8 miles flat, then 1400 feet or so climbing in 4 miles) but it was hot and wearing me out for the real Punishment that was to come - see elevation plot below:

The climb on the TRT (starting at mile 13 or so) was tough and felt like it was never going to end - it did however, topping out at about 9700 feet but the cruelest part was yet to come - the 2 mile climb up from Armstrong Pass to Freel Meadows, the second peak on the plot. Luckily, the descent on Toad's (Saxon Creek trail) turned out to be absolutely worth it. Very good helmet-cam material, Wherewolf. It's not harder than other things on the TRT, except perhaps for a short section in the upper part. That part reminded me a bit of Butcher Ranch - and the lower part is pure high speed fun.
I'll try to post some pics later...

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
ElHombre said:
so I went on a pre-ride last saturday.
Nice work! I looped it Saturday also, but in the opposite direction for a change of pace. Only saw one other rider coming up from Heavenly not far from Monument pass maybe 1:30ish, passed on a narrow section of single track, you by chance?

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Wish I could get in on this but time isn't on my side...

Dan'ger said:
Who is planning on riding the A ride and who the B ride? The B ride will be what is described as the punisher.
Dammit, I am SO jonesing to get on this trail of tears but I'm doing the D'Ville XC race the weekend after and only have so many all-weekend ride chips I can use with the Mrs.

I also wonder if the TRT ride would help or hurt me the following weekend... :confused:

·
Registered
668 Posts
most likely

TahoeBC said:
Nice work! I looped it Saturday also, but in the opposite direction for a change of pace. Only saw one other rider coming up from Heavenly not far from Monument pass maybe 1:30ish, passed on a narrow section of single track, you by chance?
Must have been me! I was around that time near Monument Pass and only saw two riders on the Rim trail coming from the other direction - one had two dogs running along him, and I crossed the other one on a narrow section.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fast Eddy said:
Riding up with MF on Friday and doing the 'A' ride. Does anyone want to commute to the commute from San Jo'?

Anyone who's bringing a water filter should speak up too. I don't (currently) have one.
I'm on the B ride and bringing a filter.

Wherewolf said:
Can anybody tell me about this ride vis-à-vis bringing the helmet cam? Will I just be pushing my bike up hill all the time or will there be some extended downhills worth taping?
I'm all for it. I've only briefly been in one of your videos. I'll try to slow down and pedal in granny on the DH.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Wherewolf said:
B ride for me. I assume since everybody finishes at the bottom of Toads that will be the meeting place Saturday morning? How about some directions/map and a meeting time? I expect people could be finishing the ride two or more hours apart, with me last, so could someone please expand upon the post ride plan? Can anybody tell me about this ride vis-à-vis bringing the helmet cam? Will I just be pushing my bike up hill all the time or will there be some extended downhills worth taping?
I cant speak for pushing up the climb, but toads will definately be worth having the camera. the lower part, your video may turn out like some scenes from return of the jedi.

also, sent you a PM.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.