Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, the pictures in the other thread make it impossible to read posts - both because of the sheer beauty and the size.

I am in for the lesser ride. Whether we want to call it a "B" ride, Slowpoke ride or "W" ride, I have concrete permission from the wife to ride at Tahoe on June 22 but I have to do the buttcrack'o'dawn to late at night to preserve the family harmony.

I'm up for carpooling with M.F. if this still works as we discussed in the other thread. If we have enough takers for this, we can take multiple vehicles as it seems that Morgan's truck is set up like the Dan'bulance. Considering the scope of the driving and the length of the ride, we will probably all want to share driving duties.

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
Dan'ger said:
Sorry, the pictures in the other thread make it impossible to read posts - both because of the sheer beauty and the size.

I am in for the lesser ride. Whether we want to call it a "B" ride, Slowpoke ride or "W" ride, I have concrete permission from the wife to ride at Tahoe on June 22 but I have to do the buttcrack'o'dawn to late at night to preserve the family harmony.

I'm up for carpooling with M.F. if this still works as we discussed in the other thread. If we have enough takers for this, we can take multiple vehicles as it seems that Morgan's truck is set up like the Dan'bulance. Considering the scope of the driving and the length of the ride, we will probably all want to share driving duties.
What trails, hombre?

Flume to Rim or what?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Dan'ger said:

Hmm I think I'm due some shore leave, but I'll have to check. What was the "B" ride again?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Jealous I am! I plan to camp up there in September so that's when I'll ride my first Tahoe ride. Never have ridden at that altitude before and not sure what to expect.

Have fun y'all!

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
How about just doing the last 2/3 of the ride like i'm trying to work out.

Meet the riders other riders at Heavenly and finish the ride on the Rim to Toads.

Just a little over 20 miles and should be a 5/6 hour ride.

george

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
LJ0913 said:
ride my first Tahoe ride. Never have ridden at that altitude before and not sure what to expect.
Death, possibly not sudden, but sure.

Everyone who has ever ventured about 5k feet elevation has either died, or is dying.

It can take as long as 90 years in extreme cases, but the hypoxic atmosphere combined with imminent mortality can only mean one thing.:mad:

:)D )

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
LJ0913 said:
Jealous I am! I plan to camp up there in September so that's when I'll ride my first Tahoe ride. Never have ridden at that altitude before and not sure what to expect.

Have fun y'all!
Bring large quantities of the following items:
- water
- food
- gu gels... :)

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imridingmybike said:
What trails, hombre?

Flume to Rim or what?
There have been a number of suggestions in the other thread:
1) Spooner to Kingsbury
2) Mt. Rose to Kingsbury
3) Heavenly to Toads (is that the same as Kingsbury to Toads?)

I'm picturing 25-30 hard miles at most. We've got a couple of weeks to work out the details. If we could work out the shuttling with the A group, that might be slick.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
imridingmybike said:
Death, possibly not sudden, but sure.

Everyone who has ever ventured about 5k feet elevation has either died, or is dying.

It can take as long as 90 years in extreme cases, but the hypoxic atmosphere combined with imminent mortality can only mean one thing.:mad:

:)D )
Hey haven't you left for F-Town yet?? :D

Zorg - thanks for the tips. I don't want to hold anyone up. Considering I've hiked Half Dome six times I wouldn't think I'd have an issue, but.......? So I'll head to Burnside Lake in Sep and ride around up there and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
george_da_trog said:
How about just doing the last 2/3 of the ride like i'm trying to work out.

Meet the riders other riders at Heavenly and finish the ride on the Rim to Toads.

Just a little over 20 miles and should be a 5/6 hour ride.

george
Hmm, tempting, but I'd feel bad if I held anyone up from their ride.

-Larry

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
I'm in

Dan'ger said:
There have been a number of suggestions in the other thread:
1) Spooner to Kingsbury
2) Mt. Rose to Kingsbury
Mt. Rose to the Flume, to Spooner (via the fire-road not TRT), then on to Kingsbury is 35 miles, but not difficult. Anybody who regularly rides with me knows my level. It's mostly downhill/flat until the climb out of Spooner on the way to Kingsbury. Yes the Flume is easy but if you haven't ridden Tahoe you must do it once just for the scenery.

Spooner - Kingsbury round-trip would be my last choice and I'd seriously consider Heavenly to Toads, which I think would be shortest (in miles) but by far the toughest and longest (in time) of the three rides. From what I've heard of Toads I'd be doing a lot of walking (what else is new).

I always stay at the Motel 6 the night before if someone wants to share a room.

BTW: lots of photos from these trips on my site. Don't want to tick Dan'ger off by posting them ;) Just did Spooner - Kingsbury last week.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wherewolf said:
Mt. Rose to the Flume, to Spooner (via the fire-road not TRT), then on to Kingsbury is 35 miles, but not difficult. Anybody who regularly rides with me knows my level. It's mostly downhill/flat until the climb out of Spooner on the way to Kingsbury. Yes the Flume is easy but if you haven't ridden Tahoe you must do it once just for the scenery.

Spooner - Kingsbury round-trip would be my last choice and I'd seriously consider Heavenly to Toads, which I think would be shortest (in miles) but by far the toughest and longest (in time) of the three rides. From what I've heard of Toads I'd be doing a lot of walking (what else is new).

I always stay at the Motel 6 the night before if someone wants to share a room.

BTW: lots of photos form these trips on my site. Don't want to tick Dan'ger off by posting them ;) Just did Spooner - Kingsbury last week.
For the route you're describing, how does the parking/shuttling work? Is it a loop? I know nothing about the trails in Tahoe and how they link.

So far, I like what I'm hearing - just don't post any g-d damned huge photos in MY thread!!! :D OK, fine, if they're maps then go ahead.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Mt. Rose to Kingsbury

Dan'ger said:
For the route you're describing, how does the parking/shuttling work? Is it a loop? I know nothing about the trails in Tahoe and how they link.
Mt. Rose is way to the north and where people take the commercial shuttle to ride south down the TRT, Flume, to Spooner Lake. Once at Spooner Lake we would ride on the pavement for about a mile to the Spooner - Kingsbury trailhead, the ride you did with me last year as an out and back. But this time we would just do the out part.

We would all meet by 8 am at Kingsbury, load our stuff and self shuttle everybody north to Mt. Rose. We could probably be on the trail by 9 am. Then we would ride south back to Kingsbury, load up and go back and retrieve our vehicles. Once that far north it is very easy and very fast to return home via I-80. The Flume is very touristy but we would reach it by about 10:30 and avoid most of the traffic.

Maps on my site, but they are very big and would screw up your thread ;)

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Dan'ger said:

I'm picturing 25-30 hard miles at most. We've got a couple of weeks to work out the details. If we could work out the shuttling with the A group, that might be slick.
Yes, that's basically that last 2/3 of the ride Kyle is proposing. Beautiful ride with an awesome downhill.

Either meet them there, or start a little early and have them catch up.

Both groups would finish in the same area for drinks afterwards.

What every you do, don't over think this.

Pick a ride and say.... show up here at this time.

You have a tendancy to take a simple thing like going on a ride and making it an 25 page cluster.

george

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wherewolf said:
Mt. Rose is way to the north and where people take the commercial shuttle to ride south down the TRT, Flume, to Spooner Lake. Once at Spooner Lake we would ride on the pavement for about a mile to the Spooner - Kingsbury trailhead, the ride you did with me last year as an out and back. But this time we would just do the out part.

We would all meet by 8 am at Kingsbury, load our stuff and self shuttle everybody north to Mt. Rose. We could probably be on the trail by 9 am. Then we would ride south back to Kingsbury, load up and go back and retrieve our vehicles. Once that far north it is very easy and very fast to return home via I-80. The Flume is very touristy but we would reach it by about 10:30 and avoid most of the traffic.

Maps on my site, but they are very big and would screw up your thread ;)
After looking at your maps, it looks like a great ride. I am slightly hesitant for a couple of reasons - first, we wouldn't meet up with the A group at all and second, if we have many people in our group, shuttling from KBG to Mt. Rose might become a hassle.

My logistics may include carpooling up from the Beast with folks riding the A ride. How opposed are you to the KBG to Toads route? We can always do your proposed route later in the season.

·
gimme friction
1,133 Posts
I'll see if I can put things in motion for making this ride, and will also most likely be looking at the all-day epic option.

Although, meeting up at 8 AM is gonna hurt...where's that Motel 6 again, WW?

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Waaaaahhh!

george_da_trog said:
Yes, that's basically that last 2/3 of the ride Kyle is proposing. Beautiful ride with an awesome downhill.

Either meet them there, or start a little early and have them catch up.

Both groups would finish in the same area for drinks afterwards.

What every you do, don't over think this.

Pick a ride and say.... show up here at this time.

You have a tendancy to take a simple thing like going on a ride and making it an 25 page cluster.

george
:cryin:

:ciappa:

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Just giving you the facts

Dan'ger said:
...shuttling from KBG to Mt. Rose might become a hassle. My logistics may include carpooling up from the Beast with folks riding the A ride. How opposed are you to the KBG to Toads route? We can always do your proposed route later in the season.
I was just answering your question. I'm doing Mt. Rose to Kingsbury tomorrow with Cohenfive and I do it fairly often. I'd be up for exploring a new ride at Tahoe, even though I know this one will hurt. However, Heavenly to Toads is a point to point self-shuttle, so you will still have to co-ordinate shuttling. It will not work if everybody from the Bay Area comes in just one or two vehicles.

I agree with George. Let's not over-plan! I'll start tuning out and just take off with one of my homies and forget about the rest. So please no weenies nor wafflers, people are in or out. I can hold a total of three people (one has to be small) plus three bikes.

So I vote for Heavenly to Toads. Gulp :eek:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.