Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm keeping this simple. 3 important guidelines. Everything else is common sense. Here's what you need to know:

1: Meet at 7 am promptly!
Lower Toads parking area, at the end of Oneidas Road, off Pioneer Trail. Drive through gate a few hundred yards down dirt road and you'll see the small parking area. See map.

2: Be ready to ride!
Have all your gear ready to go so we can consolidate ourselves and move. We'll figure out the shuttle situation on the fly. All we need are enough seats in the vehicles left at the meeting spot in order to get the shuttle cars, whether they're at Spooner or Kingsbury (ie., four shuttle cars will only require one four-passenger vehicle at the Oneidas parking area. See how easy that is?). Plus, Richelle may do the Spooner-Kingsbury out-and-back so she can drive the A-riders shuttle to the Toad's parking area. The A riders should be riding from Spooner by 8:30 at the latest, preferably by 8 am.

3: Be self-sufficient, know yer limits!
This ride will be long, hard, and above all, FUN! And everyone taking care of themselves will facilitate this. Have your water, food, tools, filters, tubes, performance enhancers, mojo, and wits about you. Consider the possible weather and be prepared for it. Bring a two-way radio if you have one:
A group "BIG" ride tune to Channel 5
B Group ride tune to Channel 6
Know the bailouts. There aren't many, but you won't be totally screwed if something does go awry. Just make sure someone knows you're bailing out. Check your bike out TONIGHT. Brake pads good? Any loose spokes? Missing a chainring bolt? Give yourself some time to fix any undiscovered issue. You'll ride much better knowing your bike is up for the adventure.

Sound good?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
1: Meet at 7 am promptly!
Lower Toads parking area, at the end of Oneidas Road, off Pioneer Trail. Drive through gate a few hundred yards down dirt road and you'll see the small parking area. See map.
Just so you know Oneidas Road stays paved way past the end of Toads up past the Corral trail up to the outlet of the Armstong pass trail.

I do not remeber exactly how far up it is, I think about 1/2 mile from pioneer trail but no further than a mile there is a small dirt area on you right with space for around 10 cars. The outlet of the Toads fireroad ends here. But Oneidas stays paved way past the parking area.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,908 Posts
not clear at all

K-max said:
I'm keeping this simple. 3 important guidelines. Everything else is common sense. Here's what you need to know:

Sound good?
Maybe we should start another thread to hammer out the post ride details. Where are we eating? Who's bringing what type of beer, that sort of thing. Maybe some landscapes of beer bottles laying on their sides to ensure you have to scroll sideways as well as up and down. I'm confused :crazy:

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Ruination is the appropriate post-ride ale. Unless there's a beer out there called "The Tahoe Rim Trail Made Me its Beeyotch" double IPA. :p

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
Until the post ride thread gets going...

K-max said:
I think Ruination is the appropriate post-ride ale. Unless there's a beer out there called "The Tahoe Rim Trail Made Me its Beeyotch" double IPA. :p
This seems appropriate. They've got a few cases at BevMo on Camden.

I saved my pennies for a 4-pack of Speakeasy Old Godfather Barley Wine Style Ale. I didn't find a picture, but I found this, to which I respond, "Ditto."

"First sip, my tongue is attacked by an onslaught of flavor. The hops and alcohol immediately bite the tongue before the sweet malt takes over only to be taken over by the bitter hops in the aftertaste. The hops become stronger as the drink warms. Alcohol is fairly noticeable, but not too overpowering. "

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Pretty sweet..

grrrah said:
have you tried it? How is it? I have a couple bottles that I am still trying to decide how long to keep em. Should have bought a case and open one or two a year...
it has cinnamin and other herbs added to it. If yours has sat for a time it should be real good.

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
Hey Morgan or Dan'ger

Someone please email or post carpool details. I need to plan what time I'm leaving work.

Why bring two trucks? I thought there were only four or five of us?

Are we poaching camp up Oneidas, or what? Tent?

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
There's been an email thread going on between me and dan'ger and 8trak and I saw an email address for you in the header. You didn't see any of it? PM me your email address and I'll forward you some stuff and my phone number. To be honest the logistics are starting to get to me. Too much. Let's just get it straight. I am maxed like everyone else, just want to go ride.

Anyone else that's getting a ride from me, pm me as well. If we can simplify the process so I'm not picking everyone up from different locations, that be great.

I just got back from a full day of Downieville XC yesterday, after two hours of sleep. Gonna bail on the night ride tonight. Let's make Friday and Saturday's logistics simple so we can focus on the ride.

Morgan

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
morganfletcher said:
To be honest the logistics are starting to get to me. Too much. Let's just get it straight. I am maxed like everyone else, just want to go ride. Morgan
AMEN. Tell those hosers to get they're arses to you! And if anyone overcomplicates this, they'll be beaten silly by Big Larry's 25 lb. camelbak of survival gear, monkey wrenches, and GPS devices!!!

New logistics: get in car. drive to tahoe. sleep well. wake up. ride bike. drink beer. sleep well.

Have a nice day.

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
morganfletcher said:
There's been an email thread going on between me and dan'ger and 8trak and I saw an email address for you in the header. You didn't see any of it? PM me your email address and I'll forward you some stuff and my phone number. To be honest the logistics are starting to get to me. Too much. Let's just get it straight. I am maxed like everyone else, just want to go ride.

Anyone else that's getting a ride from me, pm me as well. If we can simplify the process so I'm not picking everyone up from different locations, that be great.

I just got back from a full day of Downieville XC yesterday, after two hours of sleep. Gonna bail on the night ride tonight. Let's make Friday and Saturday's logistics simple so we can focus on the ride.

Morgan
In short, there are 7 of us. Morgan, Dan, Eddy, 8Trak, IRMB and 2 more. I was hoping to get at least one more to maximize the comfort/economy level of taking 2 trucks. In either case, I think that 7 adults is too much for either vehicle to comfortably accomodate for a 3 hour drive.

8Trak - if you can meet Morgan at his house in Oakland instead of meeting at my house, you 3 can head up together without stopping in PH. I'll take Chuck and his 2 buds from PH and we'll figure out the rest at 7am on Saturday.

It also makes more sense to split like this for shuttling reasons. If one is taken for shuttling up, then the other should be kept at the bottom for returning shuttle drivers to their vehicles afterwards.

It just means that we will have to be creative about trading drivers on the way back so that we can all drive and rest and not at the same time. :D

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
Ah, Dan I thought I was still picking you up. I just talked to Ed & Kyle on the phone. I can still pick up you and the other easteast bayers too. I believe FastEddy and 8Trak and maybe 7HVN are meeting me at my house, and then we're either picking you guys up or going straight to Tahoe. I don't mind driving everybody. When we talked on the phone yesterday I had my crankypants on, because I was tired and the logistics were making me cranky.

Hey BigBoulder, did I see you on 49 yesterday about maybe 9am, heading south near Nevada City? I saw a green small suv like yours with what looked like a singlespeed cannondale on top and one guy driving. My friend Aron and I were on our way to Uppieville.

Morgan

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
morganfletcher said:
Ah, Dan I thought I was still picking you up. I just talked to Ed & Kyle on the phone. I can still pick up you and the other easteast bayers too. I believe FastEddy and 8Trak and maybe 7HVN are meeting me at my house, and then we're either picking you guys up or going straight to Tahoe. I don't mind driving everybody. When we talked on the phone yesterday I had my crankypants on, because I was tired and the logistics were making me cranky.

Hey BigBoulder, did I see you on 49 yesterday about maybe 9am, heading south near Nevada City? I saw a green small suv like yours with what looked like a singlespeed cannondale on top and one guy driving. My friend Aron and I were on our way to Uppieville.

Morgan
I'm sure the phone call didn't come across for either one of us as anything much. I was also tired from entertaining 2 teenagers for the previous week and sitting in the backseat of my wife's truck trying to keep the baby from going ballistic.

I hope we're all square at this point. Give me a call during the day if we need to straighten anything out.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Data Correction

K-max said:
AMEN. Tell those hosers to get they're arses to you! And if anyone overcomplicates this, they'll be beaten silly by Big Larry's 25 lb. camelbak of survival gear, monkey wrenches, and GPS devices!!!

New logistics: get in car. drive to tahoe. sleep well. wake up. ride bike. drink beer. sleep well.

Have a nice day.
Hey, I heard that!

I've been following this thread dreaming wistfully about doing this ride (and the Downieville, etc..). My Heckler's in the shop now and I've got a odd neural infection that's been hanging on for months. So much for this being the summer I became a solid B rider as I'd planned. :mad:

Data Correction: My Camelbak is only 20 lbs (6.6 of them water, 2 of them the pack).

As I get smaller, I'm starting to notice the camelbak slightly affect my speed. So I'm lightening the load these days, depending on where I ride. Deep solo rides into Henry Coe still get the full load.

Actually I thought your clear concise instructions and nice map were pretty straightforward.
But then, what could be simpler than just handing out the GPS coordinates and time for the ride meet??? Maybe you can get Wherewolf to hold everyone's hand. ;)

OK, OK, carpools and shuttle coordination among many people can get messy no matter what.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm Out.

Can not get off of work til late (I work til 9PM).:madman: Hopefully I'll see some of ya @ D-ville. Please plan some more dirt excersions, I wanna earn some turns in them there hills.:thumbsup:

Enjoy, you lucky bastards

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.