Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My month old dhr evos are constantly glazing. They are always properly bedded in and ride great until the bike sits for 2-3 days. After it sits, there is no braking power, and they squeal like crazy. My trails are definitely not steep or fast enough to cause glazing and it never happens on the trail. I can drop the pads, sand, and re-bed them and they work fine again until the bike sits for a few days again. It’s super confusing because it’s never happened with any of my other sets of brakes. Any ideas?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe a leaky piston slowly letting brake fluid onto the pads? Only thing I can think of. What if you ride 2 days back to back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was my original thought but there's no difference in lever feel, the pads don't look contaminated, and the rotors are clean. If I ride every day back to back they are fine. It's only if I ride then the bike sits. I've put paper towel in between the pads and the pistons when it sat last week to see if a piston was leaking but the paper towel was clean and dry

·
Registered
803 Posts
I felt the same with my new Trail Evos. What I did to fix it was the following:

-No more automotive brake cleaner
-Only use the highest percentage isopropyl alcohol with a clean rag to clean rotors and components
-Heat brake pads (I assume TRPs performance resin?) with propane, Mapp gas torch or oven (not too much but enough to burn off the contamination)

I found that the bleed screw on the caliper still had mineral oil in the threads from the factory bleed. This led to the oil seeping out of that area and onto my pads on my first ride. Prior to installing pads AFTER cleaning everything with isopropyl and heating your pads up, used compressed air to clear out the mineral oil hanging out in bleed plug screw threads. Then put your pads back in and rip it! I did all of this and didn’t have any issues last weekend at my first enduro race

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've had my DH-R EVOs since December and haven't had this issue. I've burned through probably 3 sets of blue pads already - for better or worse. Haven't had to bleed them once, but I plan to in the coming weeks before I go on my next big bike trip. I also haven't had a single squeal happen.

Definitely not a normal issue. Did you try replacing pads? That will probably fix it. What did TRP say? Their customer support was awesome for me when I had brake rub issues in the beginning.

With that being said, I had a similar issue on my Shimano brakes earlier this year (different bike). I baked out the pads in my toaster oven (OUTSIDE!!) at 350F until they stopped smoking after about 15 min. Squeal and brake fade stopped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.