Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a A1 that was perfectly fine, I had to buy a new A1 because they changed the pattern of the padding insert (replacements no longer available) that eventually fully came apart from years of use.

I noticed today that after less then a month of use on the new A1, the padding has almost fully delaminated! and will probably fall apart completely with another month of regular use.

What is going on with the quality control here? The glue seems to just dissolve right away when it comes into contact with a little sweat.
Is there a solution? I bought a 2nd insert because I knew this might happen, but that seems ridiculous to constantly replace.

Any DIY solutions people have done??

·
always licking the glass
3,037 Posts
I had a A1 that was perfectly fine, I had to buy a new A1 because they changed the pattern of the padding insert (replacements no longer available) that eventually fully came apart from years of use.

I noticed today that after less then a month of use on the new A1, the padding has almost fully delaminated! and will probably fall apart completely with another month of regular use.

What is going on with the quality control here? The glue seems to just dissolve right away when it comes into contact with a little sweat.
Is there a solution? I bought a 2nd insert because I knew this might happen, but that seems ridiculous to constantly replace.

Any DIY solutions people have done??
Can you contact TLD? That sounds like a warranty issue.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My A1's padding is starting to delam. It's been about 6 months of serious use. 6 months of sitting in the closet before that.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I believe I have the A2 (bought it 2017?).

The sticky pad is gone on a few of the forehead pads but none have delaminated. The remainder of the padding inside is in good shape too.
The padding is very weak at this point though. I did get rain fall past my face when I tighten the clamp mid ride after it has been loosed, so it must still be very absorbent even not very thick.
I did not realize they continue to manufacture an update the A-1.
I think it is safe to say I've got about 2,000 miles on mine. I can tell you how many uses/miles if you care to know.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I go through a headliner pad every 2-3 months on my TLD A1. I contacted TLD, they asked for pictures and an address to send me a replacement, and then they ghosted me. Followed up a couple times over the next 2 months and they continued to ghost me. I just bought fabric glue to see if they're repairable, but it's not working out too well.

I have a TLD jersey that had stitching fall apart nearly as fast -- no crashes. I'm pretty done with TLD.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I used some thread and needle to keep the delaminating pad together which has worked pretty well. Pretty lame that something as simple as this has still not been addressed in the 'next gen' liner. Seeing this is a continuing issue my next helmet will be something different. ATTN Troy Lee...we have choices

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I used superglue to close back the seams and it seems to work.
I now have the A3 and the pads have a bigger welded seam. No problems so far and i rinse them after every ride

1 - 9 of 9 Posts