Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble getting my front derailleur to drop into the smallest ring in the front. I have correctly set the stop screw and it still will not drop unless it is in the absolutely largest 2 or 3 rear cogs. I had read that this symptom is often due to old cables so I replaced the cables and housing. That made it a little better but if it is in the 4 smallest cogs it will not go into the smallest ring. It just makes the grind sound but will not drop.

If it matters I am running a XT front derailleur with an '03 XTR crank/rings and SRAM 9.0 shifters. The rings are in very good condition. And it has always worked well before.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
When you say it has always worked well before, was that using the current crank?

Three possibilities: Limit screw, barrel adjustment, chainline. Oh, and a fourth: small rock stuck in the derailleur cage (or tweaked derailleur).

If you haven't changed the crank, strike the chainline possibility. Sometimes you get too narrow a chainline on some frames and the derailleur just can't shift in that far.

Scratch limit screw since you say you've tweaked that.

So you barrel adjustment is suspect. Sometimes you get it such that even though you've shifted to your lowest gear, the cable is still holding too much tension and "suspending" the front derailleur cage, not allowing it to drop far enough to complete the shift. You can verify this by shifting to low, then dialing back the low limit screw. If the cage doesn't move "in" as you turn the screw, the cable is hanging it. You'll need to dial the barrel adjuster "in" at the shifter to correct this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give it a shot

Thanks for the advice!

Speedüb Nate said:
When you say it has always worked well before, was that using the current crank?

Three possibilities: Limit screw, barrel adjustment, chainline. Oh, and a fourth: small rock stuck in the derailleur cage (or tweaked derailleur).

If you haven't changed the crank, strike the chainline possibility. Sometimes you get too narrow a chainline on some frames and the derailleur just can't shift in that far.

Scratch limit screw since you say you've tweaked that.

So you barrel adjustment is suspect. Sometimes you get it such that even though you've shifted to your lowest gear, the cable is still holding too much tension and "suspending" the front derailleur cage, not allowing it to drop far enough to complete the shift. You can verify this by shifting to low, then dialing back the low limit screw. If the cage doesn't move "in" as you turn the screw, the cable is hanging it. You'll need to dial the barrel adjuster "in" at the shifter to correct this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts