Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two issues...one has been around for a little while. The other a new development this weekend.

The rear hub is a WTB disc lite which is the same thing as the american classic disc lite hub. FWIW, for the 2nd issue maybe, i run XTR952 cranks with the standard XTR bb. this is on a single speed.

First, there is play in my rear hub. It wiggles a bit when you grab the tire and move it back and forth. I can't feel it when riding but during hike-a-bike sections i can hear the vibration as the tire bounces around on rocks. It's been looked at twice, the wiggling was slightly reduced, but it always comes back and is even worse now after a very long and nasty condition race on sunday.

New development during aforementioned race. Lots of mud, 64miles, 7.5hrs riding with a ton of climbing. maybe 50 miles into the race i noticed the engagement was getting really strange when i started pedaling with the left crank first. Sometimes it would spin around a bit more than normal before engaging. It slowly got worse until sometimes i could do a full revolution before it would engage so i would just stop, backpedal and start with the right crank. the right NEVER did this. Only the left side. Any ideas on this one? it also didnt always do it...sometimes it engaged perfectly fine. weird!

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
broken ratchet mech...

sean,

hey there...nice bike by the way. good job completeing that race too.

as far as the hub play...maybe the bearings aren't fitting into the shell properly? i am not too sure about that, just a thought.

as far as the engagement goes, it sounds like you broke some of the teeth off the ring inside the hub. not the pawls, but the teeth that the pawls ratchet against.

have yoiu tried tearing the hub down? there are intructions on am classics website. also, a call to mike g. @ oddsandendos.com would probably help too.

how are those marta sl discs holding up?

cheers and good luck.

Spookykinkajou said:
Two issues...one has been around for a little while. The other a new development this weekend.

The rear hub is a WTB disc lite which is the same thing as the american classic disc lite hub. FWIW, for the 2nd issue maybe, i run XTR952 cranks with the standard XTR bb. this is on a single speed.

First, there is play in my rear hub. It wiggles a bit when you grab the tire and move it back and forth. I can't feel it when riding but during hike-a-bike sections i can hear the vibration as the tire bounces around on rocks. It's been looked at twice, the wiggling was slightly reduced, but it always comes back and is even worse now after a very long and nasty condition race on sunday.

New development during aforementioned race. Lots of mud, 64miles, 7.5hrs riding with a ton of climbing. maybe 50 miles into the race i noticed the engagement was getting really strange when i started pedaling with the left crank first. Sometimes it would spin around a bit more than normal before engaging. It slowly got worse until sometimes i could do a full revolution before it would engage so i would just stop, backpedal and start with the right crank. the right NEVER did this. Only the left side. Any ideas on this one? it also didnt always do it...sometimes it engaged perfectly fine. weird!

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kam said:
sean,

hey there...nice bike by the way. good job completeing that race too.

as far as the hub play...maybe the bearings aren't fitting into the shell properly? i am not too sure about that, just a thought.

as far as the engagement goes, it sounds like you broke some of the teeth off the ring inside the hub. not the pawls, but the teeth that the pawls ratchet against.

have yoiu tried tearing the hub down? there are intructions on am classics website. also, a call to mike g. @ oddsandendos.com would probably help too.

how are those marta sl discs holding up?

cheers and good luck.
Thanks for the suggestions. the marta's surprisngly worked very well during the race. i had new pads before and they had more than half left afterwards which is a miracle considering the huge descents and mud they encountered. Maybe i'll keep them a bit longer...wish they would make up their mind and quit working or work like they did on sunday all the time!

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Spookykinkajou said:

Sounds like the cartridge bearings are worn out and sloppy to me. That would account for the play in the wheel and could contribute to the engagement problems.

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
Could it also be that he has shelled the freehub body? If so, he could just buy a new freehub body. If it's for singlespeeding, I would suggest a steel freehub body (vs. the aluminum that the wtb comes with). It will stand up to the singlespeed forces that the cog puts on the outer splines of the freehub body.

If it's not the freehub, then I'd agree, it's the hub bearings or the bearing races....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts