Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Do stans sealed tires UN-seal themselves after they seem to have sealed up?

As background, I set up a new set of Cane creek Zonos wheels (with their rim strips and tubeless valves) with Kenda Non-ust tires: Small block 8 2.1 on the rear and nevegal 2.35 on the front.

I followed the Stan's video to the 'T'. The nevegal seemed to seal up after 2-3 shakes, but I kept shaking and flipping to make sure. The small block 8 had one side that too almost 8 or 9 flips to seal on one side.

Finally though, they both seemed all sealed up with no bubbles at all. I pumped them up to 30 psi and set them aside overnight.

The next morning they were largely deflated and a soap subs check showed bubbling areas on both wheelsets. I could hear the sealant sloshing around so I went through the shaking procedure again and the bubbles went away only to reappear later that day.

Seems like I have options:
1) Take the tires off, clean them and try again.
2) Give up, sell these tires and buy UST tires.
3) Ride fast and add air frequently;)

I'd appreciate any pointers.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
sbstumpy said:
Hey,
Do stans sealed tires UN-seal themselves after they seem to have sealed up?

As background, I set up a new set of Cane creek Zonos wheels (with their rim strips and tubeless valves) with Kenda Non-ust tires: Small block 8 2.1 on the rear and nevegal 2.35 on the front.

I followed the Stan's video to the 'T'. The nevegal seemed to seal up after 2-3 shakes, but I kept shaking and flipping to make sure. The small block 8 had one side that too almost 8 or 9 flips to seal on one side.

Finally though, they both seemed all sealed up with no bubbles at all. I pumped them up to 30 psi and set them aside overnight.

The next morning they were largely deflated and a soap subs check showed bubbling areas on both wheelsets. I could hear the sealant sloshing around so I went through the shaking procedure again and the bubbles went away only to reappear later that day.

Seems like I have options:
1) Take the tires off, clean them and try again.
2) Give up, sell these tires and buy UST tires.
3) Ride fast and add air frequently;)

I'd appreciate any pointers.
I would try again on the sealing, some tires take alot of tries
or 2 get ust tires
or 4 (my choice) drop the tubeless and get a tube
I havent found a compelling reason to go tubeless and after trying UST and ghetto tubeless , Im back to tubes

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I may go back to tubes, as you suggested.

I didn't know that Stan's could come 'unsealed' and don't see why repeating the process would work. The beads seated well, the bubbles stopped and the things seem to have worked, only to have leaks pop up again.

Not a big fan of Stan's so far.

·
Registered
816 Posts
sbstumpy said:
I didn't know that Stan's could come 'unsealed' and don't see why repeating the process would work. The beads seated well, the bubbles stopped and the things seem to have worked, only to have leaks pop up again.

Not a big fan of Stan's so far.
I also don't see how Stan's could some "unsealed", and I've never had that problem. It seems like there are a couple of areas that could be a problem, and the location of the bubbles should help you diagnose where the problem is. The tires themselves, because they are not UST, have to have all the little pores in them sealed up so they will hold air. That's what the shaking and turning and stuff is supposed to do, and once that's done, it shouldn't leak. When you do check them with soapy water, you shouldn't see any more bubbles on the tire casing itself. It seems more likely that the beads aren't seated correctly, and the air is leaking out there. I'm not sure what the Zonos rim is like, or its rim strip, but it might be letting air out. The bubbles should accumulate around the rim in that case. I suppose it's possible it's the valve, too, though that seems less likely.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It probably is something about how the bead is seated. The bubbles were coming out at the bead when I checked them later. But that area was sealed up and not bubbling at all after the shaking routine. So the coming unsealed may be the bead letting loose.

I guess that Stan's in not glue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a problem on the first tire I tried. My problem was that I didn't allow the goop to sit upside down long enough before putting it in the tire. I kept getting leaks on the sidewall and on the bead., while the second tire I did held with no problem. All tires I've done after that have been perfect. I've done it on 3 different rims and various non-tubeless with success. I've actually found once you've set up a tire with Stans, it will go back on extremely easy if you take it off. I'll never go back to tubes.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
I did the Stans on my Panaracers & Stans flow rims, the Panaracers sidewalls took like
9 or 10 tries before I finally sealed them. after that they worked pretty good, I would lose 3 or 4 lbs over a couple of days of riding. I usually lose close to that with tubes.
I just dont see what the advantage is.
its not puncture resistance because you can put sealant in a tube as well.
by the time you add sealant, rim strips and valves you dont save much if any weight
UST has limited selection as far as tires (getting better every day)
UST has thicker sidewalls so even at lower pressure the footprint isnt much bigger
if you run too low pressure you bang up your rims
ghetto tubless is lighter somewhat, but at the cost of a thinner , weaker overall tire
and its touch and go weather it will actually will work
I run my tires @ 27-28lbs with tubes I weigh 220 and ride rocks and roots, if I go lower I will get pinch flats, my tubeless setups went down to 25lbs UST and 27 lbs Ghetto, not enough difference to me for the hassle. I carry a tube either way for emergencies.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
gonzoy5 said:
I had a problem on the first tire I tried. My problem was that I didn't allow the goop to sit upside down long enough before putting it in the tire. I kept getting leaks on the sidewall and on the bead., while the second tire I did held with no problem. All tires I've done after that have been perfect. I've done it on 3 different rims and various non-tubeless with success. I've actually found once you've set up a tire with Stans, it will go back on extremely easy if you take it off. I'll never go back to tubes.
so whats the advantage of your setup?

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
My Panaracer Rampage 2.35 tires sealed up well on my Stan's Flow rims but after sitting idle for a few months the rear wouldn't hold air. Turns out the valve stem needed to be cleaned and resealed. I save at least 150 grams per wheel and can run lower pressures without pinching. The traction is amazing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.