Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fine at riding off drop offs and doing straight forward jumps, but every time i'm approaching a double on the trail i can't seem to get in into my head that speed is my friend. I'm ok on small doubles, but anything with more than say 4 or 5 feet between crests of the humps and i tend to back way off.

any tips.

:(

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
shoogly said:
I'm fine at riding off drop offs and doing straight forward jumps, but every time i'm approaching a double on the trail i can't seem to get in into my head that speed is my friend. I'm ok on small doubles, but anything with more than say 4 or 5 feet between crests of the humps and i tend to back way off.

any tips.

:(
go for it...

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Hmmmm...the speed thing

okay, you are partially correct....speed IS your friend. On a double, Ill take an overshhot vs coming up way short anyday. Thing is, alot has to do with your form on the jump as well as speed. Its really less an issue of speed being your friend and more of brakes being your enemy. DO NOT brake as you approach. Itll screw your rythym all up. Think flow, think floating, and trust the lip most of all. In a nutshell, if you are backing off, just go a bit faster than you feel good with (not a ton, mind you) and be sure you are keeping your weight neutral throughout the takeoff. Basically, let the radius (curvature) of the jump determine your trajectory. The more you fight that, the less likely you'll jump it well (and safely) even if you are going fast. Relax, and trust the lip....trust the lip......trust the lip.........

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
namaSSte said:
okay, you are partially correct....speed IS your friend. On a double, Ill take an overshhot vs coming up way short anyday. Thing is, alot has to do with your form on the jump as well as speed. Its really less an issue of speed being your friend and more of brakes being your enemy. DO NOT brake as you approach. Itll screw your rythym all up. Think flow, think floating, and trust the lip most of all. In a nutshell, if you are backing off, just go a bit faster than you feel good with (not a ton, mind you) and be sure you are keeping your weight neutral throughout the takeoff. Basically, let the radius (curvature) of the jump determine your trajectory. The more you fight that, the less likely you'll jump it well (and safely) even if you are going fast. Relax, and trust the lip....trust the lip......trust the lip.........
Yeah totally agree...Also, I'm not sure if this is an issue for you but when I started doing doubles I kinda rode off the lip like it was a huck. The result is that you don't get the arch you need...you don't go as high but then you aren't coming down properly on the landing. To do a double properly (and I still suck) you kinda need to do a bit of a bunny hop motion as you ride up the jump to get both the height and rotation you need. I suggest you find a 8 ft or so table and just practice until you're getting really high into the air but rotating properly and landing nicely on the landing ramp. 95% of it is just believing you can do it.

·
Renegade of Krunk
604 Posts
It's all in your head, when I was younger I was afraid of double just because the gap in between makes the jump look a lot meaner then it is. Just try and stay loose in the air, keep your speed up and go for it. Once you clear them a few times you will become a lot more comfortable jumping them.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
I hate doubles too. Just build some and make them larger and larger as you progress....I am starting to do 10 foot gaps.....still trying to get them to about 20 feet

·
Registered
13 Posts
Word, your best bet is going to be to get smooth on the smaller jumps then move up to gaps that are about 13-15 feet. Get the movments down first then all the dubs will be fun. Oh yea throw your fear out the window, it will just hold you back.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
mcipes said:
Word, your best bet is going to be to get smooth on the smaller jumps then move up to gaps that are about 13-15 feet. Get the movments down first then all the dubs will be fun. Oh yea throw your fear out the window, it will just hold you back.
yeah "tilting" your bike is key...takes a little while to get this

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just relax! If you're scared of wreciking............don't be! It's going to happen if you want to be good! But if you are relaxed it's a lot less likely to happen. Be confident. You can jump them no prob. If you get wrecked........ no biggie. Get up shake it off, do it again. To relax take a deep breath and exhale as you go up the face of the jump. You can't be tense and exhale. Try it! Doubles are just intimidating to look at. They aren't bad at all! If all else fails take your brakes off your bike..........worked when I was younger.

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_cart/FrontEnd/Products/not_bikes_category.aspx?categoryid=208#dvds

·
Registered
228 Posts
Another good tip is tweaking. Practise turning the front wheel a little or leaning the bike over a bit on single jumps. This is an extremely good tip and has saved me many times. Doing this helps you get used to the bike in the air and will teach you how not to over shoot or under shoot a double. You see after you have gotten used to tweaking the bike in the air you can get used to pushing the front end down ( if you are over shooting) or pulling the front end right up ( if you are under shooting). Practise this on a single jump. Draw a line as if it were the tranny of the double, then practis gapping, tweaking, pulling up, and pushing down. As you progress more move the line up until you eventually feel confident enough to try a big double then you already have learn't these tips incase of an over shoot or under shoot.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,936 Posts
pntbutta said:
Just relax! If you're scared of wreciking............don't be! It's going to happen if you want to be good! But if you are relaxed it's a lot less likely to happen. Be confident. You can jump them no prob. If you get wrecked........ no biggie. Get up shake it off, do it again. To relax take a deep breath and exhale as you go up the face of the jump. You can't be tense and exhale. Try it! Doubles are just intimidating to look at. They aren't bad at all! If all else fails take your brakes off your bike..........worked when I was younger.

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_cart/FrontEnd/Products/not_bikes_category.aspx?categoryid=208#dvds
word, pay close attention to what this guy has said......
dirt jumping is the school of hard knocks, no two ways about it....

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
word, pay close attention to what this guy has said......
dirt jumping is the school of hard knocks, no two ways about it....
I've been pretty lucky. I've never crashed dirt jumping before. The coat of frame wax on my hardtail still shimmers like the day it was born.

·
Action Sports Trader
389 Posts
Just hit it!!!!!!!!!

What the hell is up with this site lately. People are asking questions like how to not be a pu$$y. Just hit that [email protected] as fast as you can and you WILL MAKE IT. IF YOU DON'T, BIG FU$KIN DEAL!! DUST YOURSELF OFF AND TRY AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
JBsoxB said:
go for it...
lol... sorry i was a bit un clear...

when you get towards the top of the lip try to do an almost bunnyhopping motion and it will give you an arc.(sp?)

leanback and point the nose down, when you land (depending on what bike you're riding) use your knees to absorb a lot of the landing...

that's a basic runthrough of what goes through my mind...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Wtf

Sam you remind me of the big dumbass ******** in my shop class in highschool. "You ain't skeerd of it are ye?" "Don't be a ***** " Give it a rest cowboy...I'd bet the farm you're one of those gung ho country boys that we could probably talk into trying anything once just to laugh at you. Your mentality will have someone spoon feeding you and changing your diaper for the rest of your life...

·
Action Sports Trader
389 Posts
VooDoo13 said:
Sam you remind me of the big dumbass ******** in my shop class in highschool. "You ain't skeerd of it are ye?" "Don't be a ***** " Give it a rest cowboy...I'd bet the farm you're one of those gung ho country boys that we could probably talk into trying anything once just to laugh at you. Your mentality will have someone spoon feeding you and changing your diaper for the rest of your life...
Wow!!! Let me quote you before you call any one a *******, "Push comes to shove we can saddle up that donkey and ride outta here." Man you sure are a dumbass!!! Please check your own quotes before you start the name calling.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.