Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what is probably a stupid question. But I cannot figure out how to remove my pedals.
I have currently have a pair of Shimano M520's that came with my bike and I was hoping to swap them out for a pair of platforms for some winter riding (for easy dismount when necessary).
There is a hex bolt on the inside of the crank arm and also a 15mm nut on the outside of the crank arm. I've tried wrenching both with no luck. I am afraid to put too much pressure on either side in case I am going about it all wrong.

Is it just a matter of shooting the threads with some penetratiing oil and trying again or something else altoghether? Could somebody please set me in the right direction?

PS - I am aware of how the pedals are threaded - thats not the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They can be stubborn and as long as you know you are turning the correct direction, my trick is to put the 15mm wrench on and while holding the end of the wrench use my free hand to give my holding hand a good whack to shock the wrench, always works for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like the classic stuck problem. Yeah as Davcruz said as long as you are sure you are going the right way give em a good whack. Watch out for that sprocket.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Sometimes it takes a lot of torque to remove pedals.

- the hex and the 15mm are on the same part. You can use either but it may be easier to to force it open using the 15mm.
- Rotate wrench towards the rear of the bike to remove pedals (the threads are in different directions).
- I try to angle things so that I am pushing towards the BB, so that the cranks stay in place more easily.
- Some penetrating oil may help. So will a gentle "tap" with a hammer on the wrench. A "pedal wrench" is a 15mm wrench with a loooong handle.
- when you install the pedals, put some grease or anti-seize on the threads to prevent sticking, and do not over-tighten.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
for the drive side its the normal lefty loosey righty tighty but for the non drive side it is the opposite. i like using the wrench flats because they are bigger and not as easy to strip out. just put the wrench on and turn it the proper direction. a light tap with a hammer will work too if they are really hard to move. put some anti sieze on the new pedals before installing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Get a 2-2.5 foot length of pipe or old tubing and wrap an inner-tube around one end to use as a handle. Slide the other end over your wrench/ allen key/ whatever. Best tool ever. I've seen a pedal have to be drilled out because it was overtightened and not greased, so watch out.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
NOTE for the drive side (right pedal) it is anti clockwise to loosen as per normal ...

For the left pedal it is clockwise to loosen ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts