Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last thursday i went out with a buddy on one ot the muddiest rides ever , and naturally i decided to clean th e bike real good ; in other words i wanted to take apart all the bearings to clean them and give them a lube .

So what's obvious is that i'm really having a hard time putting it back together !! Not that i don't know what piece goes where , but i'm having difficulties with the lower link , and especially putting back the bottom link on to the BB ( hope i'm clear enough ) .

On top of that , what's really freaking me out here , is that when i swing by hand the rear end of the bike , th bottom link isn't centered on the BB ( I'm working with the bike upside down ) , in fact it's way closer to the drive side than the non drive side, and that's why i can bearly put back both washers , unless i kinda push the rear end sideways , but then i can't manage to put back the bolt.

I know i shouldn't hurry things , so i'm taking my time to put it back , but it's really driving me nuts , and i'm beginning to wonder if i screwed up or worse, if the rear end is somewhat "twisted".

I'm hope I made myself clear enough for you guys to shed some light on my problem. :(

thanks a lot in advance , and merry christmas to you all :)

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
julmug2 said:
So last thursday i went out with a buddy on one ot the muddiest rides ever , and naturally i decided to clean th e bike real good ; in other words i wanted to take apart all the bearings to clean them and give them a lube .

So what's obvious is that i'm really having a hard time putting it back together !! Not that i don't know what piece goes where , but i'm having difficulties with the lower link , and especially putting back the bottom link on to the BB ( hope i'm clear enough ) .

On top of that , what's really freaking me out here , is that when i swing by hand the rear end of the bike , th bottom link isn't centered on the BB ( I'm working with the bike upside down ) , in fact it's way closer to the drive side than the non drive side, and that's why i can bearly put back both washers , unless i kinda push the rear end sideways , but then i can't manage to put back the bolt.

I know i shouldn't hurry things , so i'm taking my time to put it back , but it's really driving me nuts , and i'm beginning to wonder if i screwed up or worse, if the rear end is somewhat "twisted".

I'm hope I made myself clear enough for you guys to shed some light on my problem. :(

thanks a lot in advance , and merry christmas to you all :)
I just went through this, replacing my bolts and swinglink yesterday a.m.

I also noticed the "twist" effect but I think you're feeling all the accumulated play in all the other links, not any twist in the rear triangle itself.

First bolt I put back was the connection between the rear of the shock, the two small black arms, and the top of the swingarm. There should be a thin washer between the big black end caps, and a heavier washer that sits partially inside the swingarm. So, starting from the allen wrench end: allen wrench end cap, thin washer, swingarm, heavy washer inside the swingarm, black stabilizer, shock hardware, black stabilizer, heavy washer inside swingarm, swingarm, thin washer, flat-sided end cap.

Next, I attached the swinglink to the swingarm end first. You should have a pair of very thin washers and a pair of medium-thickness washers. IIRC the thin washers go on the bolt behind the BB and the mid-thick washers go on the bolt on the swingarm. Does that make sense? The washers go between the swinglink and the frame.

The final attachment -- and it was a real pain in the ass -- was the swinglink to the back of the BB. It's really awkward if your chainrings and crank are still attached, because you need to finesse that washer in between the swinglink and frame, and that's pretty awkward to do while trying to line everything up.

Look at some close-up photos of the swinglink to make sure you've lined it up correctly, and that the link goes "down" from between the BB and the swingarm.

None of this probably made any sense, but you get what you pay for! :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't worry that made all sense !

In fact i put everything back together just like you did , except i took my cranks off .
And i really can't manage to fit the washers on both sides of the BB and put the link back ( because off that "twisted" watchamacalit ) . I did once , the bolt wouldn't go all the way because the "outer" washer wasn't properly aligned , but how am i to get that alignment spot on ? That's my reall problem . I'll try to post a pic if i can find a camera .

·
Registered
107 Posts
My order of assembly:

1. Top links to frame
2. Box link to bottom bracket
3. Box link to rear tri.
4. Rear and shock to top links

If you have problems with washers falling out, a dab of thick grease works wonders...

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thanks guys , i finally got it together :)

i guess it also helped to go eat in between so the second time around i wasn't so angry and it all just fell in place .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.