Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Despite 2+ hours of muscling and a gallon of soapy water, I cannot, for the life of me, mount a recently purchsed IRC Mibro 2.25 UST tire on my Bontrager UST rim. What is the deal? Anyone have this problem? If so, what did you do to get them on? Any help would be appreciated.
:madman:

B

·
Registered
271 Posts
yyzyyz said:
Hey all,

Despite 2+ hours of muscling and a gallon of soapy water, I cannot, for the life of me, mount a recently purchsed IRC Mibro 2.25 UST tire on my Bontrager UST rim. What is the deal? Anyone have this problem? If so, what did you do to get them on? Any help would be appreciated.
:madman:

B
I mounted mine on XM819, and despite the instructions, I used tire levers:nono: , carefully. I spraved some soapy water on the levers too, so the tire "slipped" up the lever onto the rim. I raced the tire on Sunday with no problems.:thumbsup: Actually, I have used a lever to mount every UST tire the first time and have never had a problem. They all hold air well and function perfectly.

No more struggling for me. F it - I'm using the levers!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Use a tire lever!! If you have any common sense you will not damage the tire or the rim, its ridiculous to struggle that long when a few seconds with a lever will mount the tire.

·
Registered
22 Posts
me too!

I was just searching this for the exact same reason. I worked on mine for about a hour and just gave up. Decided to go to the Trek store which is very close to my house. They said to bring it in so I did. Well 2 guys try to do it with their hands and gave up. Then another guy went in the back and brought back a big steel tire lever. He then put the rim on the floor and stood on it while he worked the tire on. Took him about 5 minutes so I didn't feel so bad. So I would recommend going and buying a heavy duty steel set of tire levers and just work at it. Basically the tire was on about as far as I could get it. Probably about 12 inches left to seal. He stood on the rim and just worked a little from each end at a time until it finally went into place. I want to change tires but I'm afraid to even try. Cost me $5. Not fun at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.