Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to install a X01 crank onto my Santa Cruz Tallboy with a GXP Shimano bottom bracket. When I put the dive side on, a large amount of the spindle shows on the non drive side, meaning there is a gap of about 5mm after tightening everything up. I assume this means I need to put a spacer on one side or the other (or both?) but nothing came with the cranks and I can't seem to find anything about a spacer from searching. Everything I find, including the instructions that came with the cranks say that for a BB shell of 73mm no spacers are required, and if I put any more spacers, other than the 1 current spacer on the driver side, between the BB and the frame there isn't much thread left to secure the BB. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I may have found my problem. I thought that the Shimano BB would work with SRAM cranks but it looks like I'll need to get a specific GXP BB.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Looks like you've figured it out. No need for anything pricey, the $30 SRAM bb at Jenson works just fine and will last several years or more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts