Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can cause this...
I scheduled to do a muscle endurance ride this morning. My goal was to keep my heart rate around 153. I couldn't get it above 146 even though I felt like I was working harder than that. Last week I had no problems getting my HT up there and keeping it there.
My diet was not that great the day before and I didn't really eat before my ride and I usually do. Can Diet be a factor?

I am in the base 2 phase of training now and wouldn't think it would be possible to be over-training. I've incorporated rest and recovery days and even had a recovery day the day before. I thought I would have had fresh legs.

Two of my kids came and slept with us that night too. So I kept getting woken up through the night. Maybe I didn't get enough rest? I'm just wondering if this was just an off day.

Anyone else experience this once in a while?

Thanks,

·
Banned
822 Posts
LaMar said:
What can cause this...
I scheduled to do a muscle endurance ride this morning. My goal was to keep my heart rate around 153. I couldn't get it above 146 even though I felt like I was working harder than that. Last week I had no problems getting my HT up there and keeping it there.
My diet was not that great the day before and I didn't really eat before my ride and I usually do. Can Diet be a factor?

I am in the base 2 phase of training now and wouldn't think it would be possible to be over-training. I've incorporated rest and recovery days and even had a recovery day the day before. I thought I would have had fresh legs.

Two of my kids came and slept with us that night too. So I kept getting woken up through the night. Maybe I didn't get enough rest? I'm just wondering if this was just an off day.

Anyone else experience this once in a while?

Thanks,
Whenever I can't get my HR up, it's a sign of a) fatigue b) sickness or c) fatigue about to turn into sickness.

Take the day off. I very much doubt that aerobic riding in a traditional "base" phase would lead to overtraining.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
for me hydration and not having eaten can cause this, also lack of sleep, recovery & rest, - it makes a difference. that is one of the downfalls of HR training. those are the rides you need to depend on the perceived effort, not HR.

·
Registered
738 Posts
yes

duke of kent said:
Whenever I can't get my HR up, it's a sign of a) fatigue b) sickness or c) fatigue about to turn into sickness.

Take the day off. I very much doubt that aerobic riding in a traditional "base" phase would lead to overtraining.
+1

If you can't get the hr up and it feels like you are working hard, I think you are better off taking a nap than trying to push through.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Usually I eat a small snack the night before and then eat right when I wake up. This morning I was running behind and just went out the door without eating. That was a mistake. Sounds like it was a combination of a few things.

Thanks for the responses!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.