Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2 wheel drifter
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my new cane creek double barrel. I was looking forward to setting up the shock but found it nearly impossible to fit it onto my frame. The front mount was tight but fine but the rear one (on the swing link) was off by just a bit. Super frustrating and I'm wondering if any other free owners that have put on a cane creek had the same problem. Unfornately the fellow at cane creek is on vacation for the next week so if anyone here has some ideas I am all ears.

thanks

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Sounds like the wrong size bushings.

I had no problems!
Contact Malcolm at Cane Creek for help.

Attachments

·
2 wheel drifter
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does sound like something that needs to be sorted out on cane creeks end. Bummer is malcom left today for vacation :madman:. Lets hope there someone else there that can get this sorted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
For those that have been able to get the CCDB to fit, how's the ride? Compared to a DHX 5 coil or 5th element?

Thanks

·
2 wheel drifter
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got in touch with the folks at cane creek - looks like the link on my vpfree might be a touch off. Pretty good customer service though - said to measure the spacing with calipers and they will custom make some. Cant stand the thought of waiting though.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
blackbart said:
I got in touch with the folks at cane creek - looks like the link on my vpfree might be a touch off. Pretty good customer service though - said to measure the spacing with calipers and they will custom make some. Cant stand the thought of waiting though.
If it's not to far off, just grind down the ones you have.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
fosbibr said:
For those that have been able to get the CCDB to fit, how's the ride? Compared to a DHX 5 coil or 5th element?

Thanks
The CCDB doesn't feel like any other shock. The continuous oil flow is so buttery smooth.
I will say, if I could've done w/o my bike, (VP Free), I'd have sent my DHX to PUSH and got it done and saved the money on th' CCDB, however, after getting my CCDB, I did send my DHX to PUSH and it is awesome, right up there w/the CCDB. I have to give the edge to the DB though. It is waayy too adjustable & works so well that not many other shocks come close to it. It is nice to have the PUSH'd DHX as a back up. Anyone wanna buy a 8.75 x 2.75 5th Element, used one ride to adjust it?? I was gonna use it as a bk up to the DHX, but the CCDB changed all of that. The 5th is still a good shock, I'd prefer a 5th over a "stock" DHX any day. DHX is too mushy for my riding. But a PUSH'd DHX is a different story all together.

IMO.......DB = best
PUSH'd DHX = better
5th Element = good

·
2 wheel drifter
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the reducers are not the normal type - they are small cups that are pressed against o-rings on either side- a precise grind would be tough as there is not much to hold on to and getting them even would be a challenge. I suppose if I used a flat file and grind them down manually it might work. I might have to give it a go, especially if they are going to send new ones.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
blackbart said:
the reducers are not the normal type - they are small cups that are pressed against o-rings on either side- a precise grind would be tough as there is not much to hold on to and getting them even would be a challenge. I suppose if I used a flat file and grind them down manually it might work. I might have to give it a go, especially if they are going to send new ones.
You aren't gonna use'em anyways, grind them puppies & ride !!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
blackbart said:
So I just got my new cane creek double barrel. I was looking forward to setting up the shock but found it nearly impossible to fit it onto my frame. The front mount was tight but fine but the rear one (on the swing link) was off by just a bit. Super frustrating and I'm wondering if any other free owners that have put on a cane creek had the same problem. Unfornately the fellow at cane creek is on vacation for the next week so if anyone here has some ideas I am all ears.

thanks
I had quite a bit of trouble with my CCDB on my Free as well - the fit was very tight and I kept popping the bushings out - took a lot of effort but I finally got it - I would say before you grind, keep trying and play with it a bit

then grind

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
macrider said:
I had quite a bit of trouble with my CCDB on my Free as well - the fit was very tight and I kept popping the bushings out - took a lot of effort but I finally got it - I would say before you grind, keep trying and play with it a bit

then grind
This is what I did too. I though it was tough to get in cause I was fumbling around w/onehand.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
This is what I did too. I though it was tough to get in cause I was fumbling around w/onehand.....:rolleyes:
I cannot even imagine trying with one hand - I fumbled with those things for like an hour - dropped them, they'd roll around the garage and under something etc. etc. - I was becoming convinced there was something wrong - then it went together and I realized it was just me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts