Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get out weekend May 2-4. Going from Denvah area, willing to drive 5-6hrs, want to bang out 40ish mtn bike both days, short ride Sunday on way home. Four dudes of questionable standards, willing to punish selves. Suggestions?
Wyoming?
I suppose Eagle would work.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
SS: it's volunteer everyone else Mondays!

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
The Barber Floyd

Salida. Hit up TomP for details.
Yes. Two long-ish rides are now open: Cottonwood and the Bear Creek/Methodist section of Rainbow Trail. Here are linky link to GPX files that show the way I like to ride 'em:

http://tom-purvis.com/gpx/cottonwoodLollypop.gpx

http://tom-purvis.com/gpx/RainbowBearSandsDoubleLittleLost.gpx

We have springtime bluster going on right now, but no moisture. Both of those rides touch 9,000 feet, but neither have any appreciable snow/mud.

Now then. I have a little statement to make. I think I'm preaching to the choir here, but here we go.

Salida has seen steady growth in trail miles and notoriety in the last couple years. We expected that, and nobody is surprised that we're getting popular. We all knew that Salida's vibe could be threatened by an influx of visitors.

I've been hearing stories lately about lycra rudeness on our trails from people who aren't from here. It's going to happen, and we aren't so sensitive here that we can't handle a little of that. But this is my appeal:

When you come to Salida be part of Salida. We are a ridiculously friendly community. Almost to an annoying level. Go into Safeway and total strangers will strike up conversations with you. Sometimes lengthy. Same thing happens in restaurants and watering holes. Or out on the sidewalk.

When we're out on the trails, it's social hour. Anybody we see is going to get a hey there how do you do. We stand around and yak in the middle of the trail.

When you're here, pretend like you live here. Don't be in a hurry, let the strava striving go for another day. Stop for others not because you're supposed to, but because what the hell, it's a nice day and why not say howdy to the other nice people out there.

We want you to come and we want you to have a nice time. But it would be cool if we could encourage everybody to be a Salidan when they're visiting Salida. Be Floyd the barber from Mayberry. Be Sam the butcher from brady bunch. Mister McFeely.

Who knows, you might actually find that you enjoy it.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
The curmudgeon has spoken... :lol:
Well yeah, but I thought the curmudgeonly tone this time was very...

vaginal.

Or something.

Seriously, I just popped back in to mention that work is under way RIGHT NOW to create a new section of singletrack at the top of Cottonwood. Gonna make a really tasty ride just a little tastier.

That is all.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
... I just popped back in to mention that work is under way RIGHT NOW to create a new section of singletrack at the top of Cottonwood. Gonna make a really tasty ride just a little tastier...
Further to the news about Cottonwood, just now on the Facebookery this image appeared:

My friend Tony Boone cutting new trail with Baby Flo. She's his new piece of trailbuild gear, a half-width sweco. Twenty four inch bench cut.

You all might know Tony's work. He did Curt Gowdy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Salida is always good, except for the jaded locals screwing up my Strava times. Kidding. Have a friend that lives up on the flat west of Nathrop that always keeps the fun going and interesting.
Thanks for the info guys, appreciated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts