Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised to not see any mention of the Triple-D race coming up this weekend in Dubuque on this forum? Anyone else here doing this race?

http://savedbythebike.blogspot.com/

Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do for lights. With the snow you don't need anything too bright, and I am hoping to only spend about two hours in the dark so, I'm thinking I could get away with something smaller and lighter here. I'm wondering what other people are doing.

·
Registered
927 Posts
that's a long trek for me, I live in Bend OR, but have fun!

I don't think there is anywhere in Oregon that you can ride 52 mile and only have 1,400' of total elevation gain. Sometimes I wish we had more flats to train on.

Cheers,
BFE

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the snow, it feels like you are always pedaling uphill. If there was some correction factor for snow I'm sure it would make your Cascade Cream Puff seem like just a long ride on a rail-to-trail ;)

·
rocky iv style
178 Posts
any race that only has 4 finishers in its first 2 years combined has some level of difficulty. and in all honesty, you could cut out all of the climbing and it would be just as difficult. all of the climbing is spent getting out of town and the one big one is basically on a sidewalk. the brutality of this race hits when you death march the heritage trail. 30 below windchills kinda suck too.

·
Registered
927 Posts
FishMan473 said:
In the snow, it feels like you are always pedaling uphill. If there was some correction factor for snow I'm sure it would make your Cascade Cream Puff seem like just a long ride on a rail-to-trail ;)
I have to say I have never ridden long in the snow, and by no means am I knocking this race. I'm sure you are a harder man than I. Anyone who can brave the elements for some 3+ hours on a bike in the dead of winter in the midwest has got to have a set of iron-balls. You should come out west and see how the CCP stacks up....if nothing else our humble pie is tasty.

BFE

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have been part of triple d for both of its years and just rode the trails with coordinator lance andre on sunday. trails were in great shape and very rideable. barring a total snowpile in the next couple days this year should be a banner year. pugsley's are nice and 29ers are totally usable so hopefully no death marching although i know we have some tricks set up for this year.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
glad to hear the trails are fast now.... I hope the snow machines get out there in force after this coming storm. Right now they are saying 4-5 inches for Dubuque. I think "fast" trails for 60+ miles is hard enough. I'm looking for a challenge, not a death-march!

·
Registered
243 Posts
FishMan473 said:
glad to hear the trails are fast now.... I hope the snow machines get out there in force after this coming storm. Right now they are saying 4-5 inches for Dubuque. I think "fast" trails for 60+ miles is hard enough. I'm looking for a challenge, not a death-march!
i would recommend not attending then... we have gotten 4-5 inches so far and I can't believe that the trails will get packed down enough in time for the race... not coming is slightly in jest because it is a fun event with a lot of really cool people and while you are hiking through the snow you actually have time to talk to them. just don't come if you are easily angered when the trails become unrideable and the placing is determined by who stuck it out and hiked longer than someone else.... oh and don't complain if you get frostbite... seems to happen at triple d

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, I'm thinking that again this year this "race" is going to be about (for me anyway) pushing as hard as I can for as long as I can and seeing where I end up. I am expecting conditions very much like 2008 (looks like less of a headwind though), I'm feeling better prepared this time around, but I know my limits too.

Funny thing: I have been having some problems with fit on my snow bike and I have been tweaking it to better match the fit on my road and mountain bike. I spent over an hour measuring and tweaking last night before deciding that I'd be walking so much on Saturday that fit didn't matter very much.

See you out there,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.