Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
Na it will screw up the bikes handling for sure. My buddy tried it with his 888 sl ata but reduced it after a bit of riding.

·
I bike long tyme.
1,107 Posts
Voiding warranties aside......"messing up the geometry" is a relative term that's relative to the type of riding you plan on using it for. Trail riding...yeah, your geo will be whacked. Use it for DH and your HA will be right in line with most dedicated DH frames (64-66) though your bottom bracket and standover height may raise more than you'd like. You'll slacken about one degree for approx every 20 mm of axle to crown length you add.

·
UNDEAD
485 Posts
Why do you think you need a dual crown in the first place?
There are plenty of single crown options available these days that will give you more freedom of movement on the bike.

yeah...and as said before it will really rake out the bike and void the warranty.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't know if you all are serious or not. The axle to crown on a 888 is only a few millimeters more than a 66/ Totem. With sag its actually going to run lower than a seven inch single crown. Yes, it will void your warranty. Yes, there are a lot of dudes that run their SXT with dual crowns. No, it will not screw up the geo. Head angle will be relaxed a degree, BB up 1/3 of an inch. Still, I would not run one on mine, but it is unquestionably possible.

·
dirt visionary
6,522 Posts
The Sxtrail is designed around a 160mm fork. It is optimal with a 160mm so yes going up to a 200mm fork will be a big step and will do a number of things to the way the bike rides . I had a 170mm 66 and I did not like the bike being so raked out for freeride and trailriding so I stuck with a 160mm. I also have a 200mm888rc2x and when I had it on the bike it felt like I was on a chopper . Even at 160mm I can still rock the steep rugged crap with no problems.

Even if you do go with a 888 and run alot of sag the bike will be unbalanced . I feel it would be very hard to balance the bikes suspension out without the front feeling too soft and the rear a bit firm.

JMO

·
Registered
654 Posts
I run right now a 180mm fork on the SX. It feels really nice. 200mm will make the bike handle crappy. I'd say 180mm is the max to go. A totem should feel really nice on the sx.

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
As a former SX trail owner, I had a 66SL and was all stoked on having the 178mm (it never did get to 180mm) of available stanchion showing. But honestly, it rode badly on the DH course at Fontana in anything but wound down to 150mm. Cornered bad. But I'm just one dude, who knows what others may say.

·
Registered
172 Posts
idaho biker 90 said:
I run right now a 180mm fork on the SX. It feels really nice. 200mm will make the bike handle crappy. I'd say 180mm is the max to go. A totem should feel really nice on the sx.
It seems to me like we are all speculating. I have my bike setup with a Totem and dig it as a 7&7. I'd like to try it with a 160mm fork, but I'm pretty sure I'd be worked after a day of downhilling... 180mm Fox with adjustable travel, where are you? With 180mm in the front I can tune the suspension to feel perfectly balanced. Sure, less travel will make it handle quicker and jump better, but the extra squish has it's benefits as well. I don't think he would be looking to put a 888 on his bike unless he's into some gnarly DH. With an 888 up font, you're talking a 30mm difference between front and rear, not a lot. It's not qoing to change the geo anymore than a 7" single crown. Maybe it's exactly what the quy is looking for. Just as an aside... I rode DH with a guy last weekend on an Ellsworth Moment with a Fox 40 and he loved it. Not what I would ride, but it worked for him.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.