Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bicycle day (Klunkin with Albert) was a huge success. So much so, we are planning next year's event already "Have another Hit!".

Puttering out in the woods and sunshine with our destination to the far flung trees of Beer Joint was our ultimate intention. We began assembling at the Scales east of the town of Caspar.

Motor vehicle Mode of transport Land vehicle Transport Car

Here we met a gaggle of eager folks on older bikes which were in great condition. Unfortunately, there were no true balloon tire Klunkers from the 70's. Maybe next year? Not one cushy carbon fiber in the lot. A fine presentation of steel and aluminum two wheeled conveyances were assembled at the start point. The oldest was a 1967 Schwinn Stingray which was ridden by the master of ceremony: Rick Riley - Head Klunker.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Hat Bicycle

The Best in Show Klunker was a beautiful 1995 Manitou Susser custom full suspension collectible own by John Loudon, current president of the MCC.

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Wheel

A group shot of the old timers. Two people (Brian and Marjorie) drove up from Santa Rosa just for the event.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

We rode the trails slowly to get comfortable on bikes some of us have not ridden in over 20 years. No rowdy out of control folks here, but a slow, loquacious ride to soak in the spring's beautiful full fledged green scenery on perfect tread.

I recently put my old Ritchey Ultra back together blowing off 22 years of ancient dried carbon dated mud.

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

Straddle hanger for the front brake cable:

Iron Metal Bicycle Bicycle part Bicycle tire

We arrived at Beer Joint to indulge ourselves in the rewards of a wreckreational ride. Beer Joint had a trove of micro-brews stashed along with combustibles to make the day more exciting. BJ is blessed with a natural refrigerator found in an old downed redwood log where the temps are a constant 50°. A perfect spot to lingered for an hour or so.

Wheel Tire Bicycle frame Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Finally, it was time to present the Klunker Grand Prize, a bottle of Pinot Noir to the owner of the oldest bike successfully ridden to Beer Joint. The Grand Klunker - Rick Riley's bike the 1967 Schwinn Stingray won it by a decade plus some. Second place went to a 1982 Specialized Stumpjumper.

Bicycle helmet Helmet Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Soil Bicycle wheel

The ride was a success! maybe next year we'll have some Electric Cool Aid...

Thus endeth TRIP report! Come in Major Tim...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm currently resurrecting an authentic Mill Valley/Mt Tam klunker circa late-70s. Gotta find someone who has some 105-gauge spokes and ability to rebuild/straighten the rear wheel, and the old thing is on (off?) the road again after 30+ years. I'll have to look your event up next year, but save me some Gatorade- don't drink beer!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Got Juice?

I'm currently resurrecting an authentic Mill Valley/Mt Tam klunker circa late-70s. Gotta find someone who has some 105-gauge spokes and ability to rebuild/straighten the rear wheel, and the old thing is on (off?) the road again after 30+ years. I'll have to look your event up next year, but save me some Gatorade- don't drink beer!
One of the older bikes ridden was a non-Ibis once owned by Scot Nicol. I think it could be this one in this picture?

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

Just give me a heads up next year (before April 19th - Sunday) and there will be a bottle of whatever flavor Gatorade you like in the redwood refrig. That bike you're refurbishing will be a super Klunker Kontender for the first place prize.

Next year's theme song "Fresh Air" by Quicksilver Messenger Service (1970)
"...ooo, take another hit
of fresh air!"
Making wheelies easy...
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel Bicycle frame

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.