Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, this year for our vacation, we're staying close by... Nothing to serious... but just traveling and camping in areas we don't get to visit because they're a bit far for a day drive... I'm looking also for good camping spots and good swimming holes for after the ride!

Places to ride on the list:
Hinesburg :: Close but i didn't visit there in the past 2 years...
Pine Hill :: Heard only good stuff...
GMNF :: Don't know what's available there... but it's right in the middle of the first two... I'm guessing i'll find camping there...

What else?

Is Killington worth it for XC-AM type of riding. My girlfriend is a good rider... but if there is too much rocks, she won't have has much fun as good singletrack... She's a strong intermediate rider who mostly has her wheels on the ground.

Let's say i'm not going further south then Rutland... What am i missing?

Here's the rough itinerary:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...25813,-72.14447&spn=1.546304,2.460938&t=h&z=9

Thanks!

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
You should put a few hours in at Middlebury since it's right on your route. Good singletrack just east of town.

There are new singletrack routes and bridges going in at Pine Hill as we speak. Tightly linked berm turns :thumbsup: :crazy:

JZ

·
Registered
515 Posts
Millstone for sure. You should plan a long day in Hinesburg or two days and hit Sleepy Hollow and the Carse trails.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Eric. I've been trying to get you to come down to ***** ********* for what I think is the best single track in the state. It's not really intermediate friendly though. PM me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
there is a ton of singletrack in Pittsfield VT, near Killington, and you can camp at Gifford Woods State Park. Let me know, and i'll connect you with the Pittsfield guys. I'll be riding there soon (next week or so), i'll post a report.

Rode Millstone last night, first time in 4 years, very cool place. Rode Waterbury on my new Cove hardtail tonight, rockin' as always. Montgomery fest on Saturday afternoon, Waterbury ride and work session on Sunday. More please. PK

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks PK! I'll keep in touch.

Dave: Yeah, i've been meaning to e-mail you.

Millstone :: Is a place i visit every year 2-3 times... I know the area and people pretty well. We won't visit on that trip but i know i'll ride this place this season..

I don't know the Middlebury area... Info?

·
Registered
456 Posts

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
nh

uh, oh, doh, um, ah hell, take the best of all areas in vt and just spend the week in, uh, oh, sorry rob, ugh, never mind. just do what everyone else suggests. with the skiing still quite good and no one enjoying it, it'll be a couple of weeks b4 i join in on the bug fests in the lower lying areas on the two wheeled pain device. summer is too damn long. enjoy

rog

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
There is some good riding on the T.A.M. (trail around middlebury) and on chipman hill right west of town. Combined, it's worth it. Beginner to intermediate singletrack.

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
I've ridden Middlebury only twice...once with some knowledgeable locals on a half day/half night ride, and again on my own, at night, lost in the dark half the time. As explained to me, there are sort of 3 layers of trails there....the TAM trail itself, a wide multi-use trail; The xc singletrack that surrounds it, and a harder to find layer of more technical xc singletrack that goes over the rocks and ledges rather than around them. A local guide would be helpful....check with the Alpine Shop in town, I think there are group rides from there. Also google middlebury bike club for a local contact and group ride info..

The trailhead is a little east of town on Seminary St. Extension....big dirt parking area on the south side of the road....I think the sign says Battell Woods. From there a bunch of singletrack is on the south side of the road, or cross the road north and the trails will take you to the Chipman Hill climb, an excellent view of the valley, and some very cool singletrack down the northeast side.

JZ

·
Registered
41 Posts
Killington is worth stopping by. There is XC/AM riding. Also check out Pine Hill Park in Rutland since it looks like you will be going through the area.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Killington is worth stopping by for a ride. I haven't explored the whole trail network by any means, but the trails I did ride were single diamond and blue square rated and were fairly smooth and fun.

And I will third the Pine Hill recommendation. Very good array of riding with more trails being constructed this summer too.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Wow. I'm not sure how we all left Kingdom Trails off the list. Now there's a vacation destination. Maybe everyone got stuck on the "travel itinerary"? Kingdom Trails is super buff and a joy for a guy and gal couple of days of endless riding. There's total signage and beautiful VT hills to enjoy. And plenty to rip.
http://www.kingdomtrails.org/

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Raineman said:
Wow. I'm not sure how we all left Kingdom Trails off the list. Now there's a vacation destination. Maybe everyone got stuck on the "travel itinerary"? Kingdom Trails is super buff and a joy for a guy and gal couple of days of endless riding. There's total signage and beautiful VT hills to enjoy. And plenty to rip.
http://www.kingdomtrails.org/
Yeah, but KT is local to us... We don't need to plan and go ride it... We can ride there whenever... We're focussing on some central vermont spots we don't get to visit often...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts