Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Vista Cx and have taken a ride with it a couple of times. I figured out how to reset the trip computer, but how do I make it stop? After I finish the ride and shut it down, then start it back again in my office, it keeps gathering data even when I'm not riding, screwing up my average speed, etc. Also, when I reset the trip computer, what does it do to the tracking (i.e., does it start a new track?)?

Also, after I load a track into mapsource, where's the trip data? (like average speed, cumulative climbing, etc.)?

I guess what I'm saying here is that I'm not ready to get rid of my cyclometer (Avocet 50)yet until I can figure out how the eTrex can give me the same data.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I recently got the same gps. The way it saves data is a little screwy. If you save the track using the gps at the end of a ride, it strips away the time data. So you have to load the active log into your computer and then you have all the data, but you also have that last point at your house since you just turned on the gps in order to upload the info to your computer.
You can edit the file to take out that last point, but it should be easier than that.

I think there's an opportunity for a good 3rd party software for the garmin etrex.

·
Registered
29 Posts
>>but how do I make it stop? <<
Correct, you don't. Write down the values in a spreadsheet for future comparisons

>>Also, when I reset the trip computer, what does it do to the tracking (i.e., does it start a new track?)?<<
It starts a new track segment in the active track log memory every time it loses lock &/or is turned on

>>Also, after I load a track into mapsource, where's the trip data? (like average speed, cumulative climbing, etc.)?<<
It isn't there. I save the trip as a GPX and run it through a one of a couple free GPX tracklog analyzers that calculate all that stuff. Google for "AnalyzeGPXTrack.exe"
It gives something like this:
Input file: C:\My Pictures\PLPP06a SnowShoes\test.gpx
Output file: C:\My Pictures\PLPP06a SnowShoes\test.txt
File parsed successfully
3 waypoint(s).
1 track(s).
Track SnowShoe:
1063 trackpoints.
Elapsed time = 0:55:41
Total distance = 1.15 miles.
Net distance = 0.01 miles.
Average speed = 1.24 mph. (1.9 kmh)
Total elevation gain = 547.21 feet.
Total elevation loss = 542.48 feet.
Net elevation change = -4.73 feet.
Minimum elevation = 5357.40 feet.
Maximum elevation = 5474.10 feet.
Elevation range = 116.70 feet. (35m)

3 waypoint(s) encountered:

-------------
There was also a really cool web based analyzer that gave all kinda cool graphs & charts & maps & produced a PDF of the trip but I lost the URL
------------------
Garmin owns MotionBased which records raining data but not sure if you can make eTrex family work with it or only Edge & forrunners?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Try TopoFusion.

It makes these things a lot easier. You won't have to edit your downloaded active track data to get what you want - TopoFusion automatically splits it for you!

It also gives you control over the climbing elevation calculation (filtering) so you can get consistent & reasonable results. I use 1 meter filtering for hiking, 2 meter for road biking, & 3 meter for mountain biking (actually 3 for all cycling until now).

Whether or not you can replace your bike computer is another topic though. You should be able to get very close matches between your computer & the GPS for distance if your bike computer is calibrated accurately (actual tire measurment) & if you get good GPS data. Be sure to turn your GPS on early so it has good satellite locks BEFORE you reset the stats & start your ride.

The ride time or "moving time" on the GPS may not match closely enough if you are picky about accuracy for the time related things (ride time, average speed, etc.). I don't think the GPS has a user setting to configure moving time, but it should. In general Garmin does not give the user enough control over all these type of settings.

I keep the GPS in my pack or jersey pocket & still run a basic (very cheap) bike computer.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mike/Guru

If you want to keep the track log from finding our house or office when you turn the GPS back on don't let it find the satellites. I have a Legend C and use the menu button on the on the left side to get the menu option use with GPS off. This way there is no added data after the ride. Then I use TopoFusion www.topofusion.com and save the active log TF then gives you a great readout of the data for each ride. Also you might want to check the tracks setup page to see what the interval is set at. The Legend C is set by miles I use .01 for daily rides up to 40 miles and always have plenty of memory space and get a fairly detailed track. What ever your unit has I would set it to the most sensitive setting first. If you find you are running out of memory you can always set it higher.

When you save the track you will loose some of the data as the unit crops the track to save space. When you go to reset the trip computer you should have the option of what data fields are cleared and weather or not to clear the track log or not. I usually let it reset the trip data, odo, max speed and clear track log, but don't let it delete saved tracks, waypoints or routes.

·
Registered
699 Posts
MikeDee said:
I just got a Vista Cx and have taken a ride with it a couple of times. I figured out how to reset the trip computer, but how do I make it stop? After I finish the ride and shut it down, then start it back again in my office, it keeps gathering data even when I'm not riding, screwing up my average speed, etc. Also, when I reset the trip computer, what does it do to the tracking (i.e., does it start a new track?)?

Also, after I load a track into mapsource, where's the trip data? (like average speed, cumulative climbing, etc.)?

I guess what I'm saying here is that I'm not ready to get rid of my cyclometer (Avocet 50)yet until I can figure out how the eTrex can give me the same data.
On the eTrex Legend all you do it go to the satellite page, click the options, and select, "Use With GPS Off." The Vista Cx should be similar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.