Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
bikespotter
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from the UK ;)

Bought myself a new project last year, ever since I saw the moonhead trimble I have always wanted one for myself so I set about trying to save up my pennies for the next one that came along and to my suprise I got one :shocked:

was in quite a state when I got it, bit of a home paint job so it had to go away to france for new paint.

I was quite used to traditional - simple paint jobs but since this was an unusual frame I thought I would go for something a little different....................Rasta was my first thought

this is Kris BTW, painting on the stripes - stayed up all night apparently :thumbsup:

I had hoarded quite a few red bits for a future fat chance project that never came along so they seemed perfect for this .

Trimble inverse 4 frame..........early fatter lower seat tube area ? any info appreciated.
Trimble roo bar combo............as made by brents brother
Marzocchi Z5 fork
Chris king gripnut headset
Onza ules grips
XT rear mech
XT thumbies
XT front mech............custom jubilee clip jobbie
Hope hubs
Sunrace 7 spd screw on freewheel
Sun Ringle CR18 red rims..................to match the hubs of course
Panaracer magic tyres
Ritchey skewers
Rockwerks brake levers..................................tektro really but they are light and cool
Control tech front canti's......................so easy to set up
Revenge industries U-brake......................again really easy to set up
Kooka Rasta forged cranks with middleburn & sugino rings..............perfect for this build
XT chain
Suntour XC seat post
Turbo leather saddle
Acor seat clamp

Ok , before you all start - its not a period correct build , it was never really intended to be, more of a 'celebration' of colour .

;)

·
bikespotter
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DeeEight said:
front mech, rear mech? damn brits...
:rolleyes:

Ok,OK,OK derailleur - happy ? tsk

Rumpfy said:
Great attention to detail. Looks like quite a journey.

How long to finish it from start to end?
bought it last year in september off ebay, you know - the guy who had four of them and two roobars ! , took 3 months to arrive in the UK since the guy charged $100 for $35 for snail mail shipping, I actually had written it off as either lost or I had been conned.

Got the last piece, the top tube cable guide from one of the retrobike members (who kindly made one up for me) last weekend so I guess that makes it about 10 months.

Kinda chuffed with it really, thought it was too big for me at first but it is actually quite a comfortable size.

could really do with a rasta pauls front and rear mechs :blush: ooh sorry, I mean't derailleurs :p , but I aint that rich so I will be happy with the deore XT stuff - at least it works ;)

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Wow! Very nice. I like the rasta a lot. :)

I have a Trimble frame sitting around waiting for something to happen to it. Your pics encourage me to start thinking about it.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
retrobikeguy said:
what sort you got ? inverse 4 or cross ?
Mine is an Inverse 4. The cable routing on mine is a bit odd on mine with all of the cables having internal routing.

·
He be a moose too.
2,171 Posts
One thing the Trimbles are good for when painting is they have a much larger 'canvas' upon which you can develop a pattern. Think of a steel bike with thinner tubes. Fades are great but stripes wouldn't work as well as we see here. Seems like the painter made the most of that.

'Guin

·
Registered
319 Posts
laffeaux said:
Wow! Very nice. I like the rasta a lot. :)

I have a Trimble frame sitting around waiting for something to happen to it. Your pics encourage me to start thinking about it.
me too. needs a crack repair though. need to start hoarding parts. one day...

oh - nice work, rbg!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.