Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
bikespotter
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now I have it,
My dream trimble frame, I am well chuffed and almost feels like it was worth the stress but I now have some questions as its kind of different to others I can find pictures of.

first is .. what year is it ?

It has the inverted 4 design but also has the longer headtube and fatter lower seatube of the red X-frame in the firstflight museum !
I know the decals won't be original as you can see they have been (well done) cut out by hand using a blade.

second, having found the front mech clamp size to be a problem I made up a bigger band endless clamp mech using a jubilee clip which has solved the problem but I have also noticed the two holes which lead me to think it must have had a braze-on assembly originally, but what triple front mech would have been used as I don't recall shimano making one bitd ?

I am also stuck with the top tube cable stop, It didn't come with one so I have been trying to find an alternative but no luck as yet as it seems to have a very different thread to anything I can find ? any Ideas guys, or do you have one kicking around in your workshop you don't want ?

also just out of interest I am 90% sure I am going with some marzocchi's up front and managed to get a long enough threaded NOS steertube, but do you think the steertube would fit into a Rockshox mk1 crown or is that something I can only find out by trying ?

all help or comments grateful.

;)

·
bikespotter
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Bushpig,

Yeah, nice to get a bargain every now and then eh.

Paints not bad for a rattlecan job but someones sanded an area behind the seat tube away :confused: so its going to a nice chappy in france for some paint, same guy who did jezza's trimble last month actually

going with some marzocchi's and a roo bar & the paint plan is ~

Just really stumped with the top tube cable stop :(

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Actually, if I recall correctly, I think that might be the original decal...

You can just use a road front derailleur on the braze-on style mount. They work fine although the arc of the cage is a little big for mtb chainrings... The WTB/Trek team used them in 87.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
That's the very first 1989 year version I'm pretty sure... it has longer dropouts with more cutouts than later frames did. The one was a year or two newer, like 1990/91. Also the front derailleur was the endless band clamp model without the clamp. My Alpinestars Ti Mega used the same mount and front derailleur.

·
bikespotter
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DeeEight said:
That's the very first 1989 year version I'm pretty sure... it has longer dropouts with more cutouts than later frames did. The one was a year or two newer, like 1990/91. Also the front derailleur was the endless band clamp model without the clamp. My Alpinestars Ti Mega used the same mount and front derailleur.

managed to make an endless clamp mech fit after seeing one of the firstflight bikes and it seems to be pretty sturdy, the other thing, it doesn't have the rear mech cable guide either, its just a zip tie !

The mech guide must have been a later addition ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.