Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
I've got a Stiffee
Joined
·
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a trigger shifter guy, until I saw Pricepoint had an XO rr der/XO twist shifter combo for $189. I've been slowly trying to get the weight down on my Burner without changing out my 2.1/2.3 Nevegal tire combo so I figured since these twist shifters are lighter I'd give them a try. I have to say after 2 rides I've been quite impressed with these twist shifters. I'm not new to the XO rear derailleur, but each shift is so crisp and clean you can hardly hear it shifting. Not only can you dump a bunch of gears quicker, but since each rear gear is individually numbered you never have to look back to see exactly what gear you are in. I've always thought those twist shifters were "gay" when I saw someone elses bike with them, but hey don't knock em till you try em and so far I really like them a lot. The only complaint is the adjustment period, especially when shifting the front derailleur. That is going to take me some time to get those shifts down as quickly as with a trigger shifter. It did get my bike down to 27.0lbs now, that's with a Talas and the Nevegals :D

Just wanted to share my experience although I don't think I'm going to rush out and buy twisties for my other bikes. For my Burner though, they fit the bill perfectly. Also cutting a good inch off my grips was mandatory, and I see they make lock on grips made for twisties so I may get those. I never thought I would go with twist shifters, but now I'm really glad I did.

Anyone else switch from triggers to twisties and find it as pleasant as me, or did you end up hating them?
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
Can you shift 2 or 3 gears in the rear while braking steadily? That's what I loved about Sram's triggers over rapidfire (in addition to the overall superior action). Sram shifting is all thumbs (in this case a good thing).
 

·
I've got a Stiffee
Joined
·
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tscheezy said:
Can you shift 2 or 3 gears in the rear while braking steadily? That's what I loved about Sram's triggers over rapidfire (in addition to the overall superior action). Sram shifting is all thumbs (in this case a good thing).
True true, but I don't find myself doing that too often.....especially on my Burner. If I'm a gear or two out going into a steepish climb with a bike that light I can get away with it. That is the 1 drawback, but not a huge one for me anyway. I do have the X9 triggers on my Pack and that is a nice feature. My other 2 bikes have Shimano XT's so that isn't really even possible on those anyway. Good point though ;)
 

·
...
Joined
·
1,316 Posts
I can shift a couple...

FXRob,
Ive had twisters on my bikes for about five years now for and would never go back. Trimming the front derailler is prolly the biggest reason I like them.

Cheezy,
I can change a couple and still be on the front brake, you just use your thumb more. Of course I also ride with my index finger (not my pointer) on the levers.
 

·
fried stuff with cheese
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Funny. I had the X.O. twist shifters on my spot and then switched to the X.9 triggers. I loved them so much I put them on one of my other bikes as well. (X.7's this time) The X.0 twist shifters are now on my hardtail. I will admit this, I really liked the ability to micro adjust the front der. with the twist shifters. That's about it though. The triggers just feel so fast and smooth.
 

·
singletrack lush
Joined
·
215 Posts
FXRob said:
Just wanted to share my experience although I don't think I'm going to rush out and buy twisties for my other bikes. For my Burner though, they fit the bill perfectly. Also cutting a good inch off my grips was mandatory, and I see they make lock on grips made for twisties so I may get those. I never thought I would go with twist shifters, but now I'm really glad I did.
Glad you see the light. Ive been using Sram twist shifters for six yers now (learned to shift on Rockets now I have X0) and been a 'twistie' advocate ever since. I use triggers on occasion on friends bikes or rentals, but never had the urge to switch. If it ain't broke why fix it,right?
But I can't understand why twist shifters they've been getting a bad rap from some.
I think twist shifters are a much compact and cleaner design, nothing sticking out.
Allow you to have all your fingers wrapped around your grips at all times,
offer more natural and intuitive way to shift gears.. think motorcycle throttle.
Dumping a handful of gears at once is another useful feature.
Like you said, don't knock em till you tried em.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
FXRob said:
I've always been a trigger shifter guy, until I saw Pricepoint had an XO rr der/XO twist shifter combo for $189. I've been slowly trying to get the weight down on my Burner without changing out my 2.1/2.3 Nevegal tire combo so I figured since these twist shifters are lighter I'd give them a try. I have to say after 2 rides I've been quite impressed with these twist shifters. I'm not new to the XO rear derailleur, but each shift is so crisp and clean you can hardly hear it shifting. Not only can you dump a bunch of gears quicker, but since each rear gear is individually numbered you never have to look back to see exactly what gear you are in. I've always thought those twist shifters were "gay" when I saw someone elses bike with them, but hey don't knock em till you try em and so far I really like them a lot. The only complaint is the adjustment period, especially when shifting the front derailleur. That is going to take me some time to get those shifts down as quickly as with a trigger shifter. It did get my bike down to 27.0lbs now, that's with a Talas and the Nevegals :D

Just wanted to share my experience although I don't think I'm going to rush out and buy twisties for my other bikes. For my Burner though, they fit the bill perfectly. Also cutting a good inch off my grips was mandatory, and I see they make lock on grips made for twisties so I may get those. I never thought I would go with twist shifters, but now I'm really glad I did.

Anyone else switch from triggers to twisties and find it as pleasant as me, or did you end up hating them?
I love SRAM twist shifters. I will never use triggers again after having them now on 2 bikes.

and as far as pricepoint goes....yeah, they have some incredible deals right now. though i feel guilty not buying from Larry or Chad I could not help it. I just picked up the FSA K Force DH Carbon bars for only $49 !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,564 Posts
Trigger/Twist

I recently installed X9 with a trigger rear, and twist front shifter set up. A great system.
 

·
I don't do PC
Joined
·
7,401 Posts
Count me in the twister camp, I've been on twist shifters since they came out with ESP back in '97 I think. I tried a full XTR setup for 6 months back in '02 but I switched back due to some of the reasons mentioned above and cause the Sram drivetrain shifted better overall IMO. I would try some Sram triggers if they could get rid of the chain rub up front.

The new XO's are the best yet for sure, super light action and crisp shifting. The ability to dump some gears, or better yet, downshift a handful of gears is the twisters best attribute probably.
 

·
Mr.Secret
Joined
·
643 Posts
I'm also a twistshift guy, they're light and having a friction front is what I like. Prior to 9-speed cassettes it was Suntour XC-Pro topmounts all the way. One negative I've noticed with twists and riser bars is that when you've got the bar turned to either extreme (right/left), you've got to be careful that the derailleur housing doesn't hangup on the face of the stem. If they are I put a ziptie around the stem with another ziptie looped through it (the first ziptie) to route the der. cables through to keep bad things from happening.
 

·
Shot Down in Flames...
Joined
·
1,218 Posts
Gripshift shifts so much better than any trigger. I've been using twisters since the SRT600 back in '95. The current X.0 set-up is by far the best shift set-up ever.

And yes, I can dump or pull multiple gears while braking as hard as I need to. Regardless of what Shimano wants you to think, that's been the case all along with twisters.

Hand positioning is very important when using Gripshift. Most people who dislike it make the mistake of grabbing the whole shifter, when you should be only using your thumb and pointer right where the shifter meets the grip.

Let's summarize. Shifts better, lighter, can dump multiple gears at will, no external parts to shear off in a crash, adjust FD trim... what's not to love?

Nevermind, it works pretty good for Kabush.



D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
I have done the thumb shift, finger shift and twist shift. They all have their points.
My big problem with twist shifters is that they make my carpal tunnel even worse. The twisting action just does a number on me.
Right now I use a shimano drivetrain (XT) with the SRAM trigger shifters. I use the rapid rise rear deraillure because I like dumping gears for uphills. My thumbs are sensitive too, so shifting to a lower gear going uphill requires very little thumb pressure.
I am with you guys on front cage rub with triggers, but oh well, I just turn the music up.
Again the big deal is to make sure things are aligned cleaned lubed and adjusted. Any drivetrain regardless of the maker can be a nightmare if neglected.
I was thinking the other day on a ride that an electric shifter mechanism mounted on the rear chainstay pulling a short totally enclosed cable to an existing derailluer would be the bomb. Just run wires to the bar and have two buttons for shifting.
 

·
Mr.Secret
Joined
·
643 Posts
richwolf said:
I have done the thumb shift, finger shift and twist shift. They all have their points.
My big problem with twist shifters is that they make my carpal tunnel even worse. The twisting action just does a number on me.
Right now I use a shimano drivetrain (XT) with the SRAM trigger shifters. I use the rapid rise rear deraillure because I like dumping gears for uphills. My thumbs are sensitive too, so shifting to a lower gear going uphill requires very little thumb pressure.
I am with you guys on front cage rub with triggers, but oh well, I just turn the music up.
Again the big deal is to make sure things are aligned cleaned lubed and adjusted. Any drivetrain regardless of the maker can be a nightmare if neglected.
I was thinking the other day on a ride that an electric shifter mechanism mounted on the rear chainstay pulling a short totally enclosed cable to an existing derailluer would be the bomb. Just run wires to the bar and have two buttons for shifting.
Electric....hmmm.....remember the Browning elec. cranks? :p
 

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
cummon baby! lets do the (non) twist!

believe it or not, i have a opinion on this. i know. its quite out of character for me. though i understand very well that twist shifters have a sound place in the industry, theyre not for me personally.

i first tryed the srt's back in '93 and did not like them right off the bat. every time i pulled up on the bars i got a unintended shift and quickly purchased a bike with 7 spd lx. the following yer i think it was, i had been coersed into trying the newer, better x-rays with the same issue. why i trusted those who claimed the unintentional shifts would be cured, i cant say but i can tell ya they were wrong.

fast forward another 2 yerars. i had a bad fall and just about lost my right arm above the wrist and lost substancial muscle tissue in dec of '95. after "healing up" so to speak, i tryed em yet again and found the twisting action to be uncomfortable at best. that was the end of my time testing twisters for personal use to this day. i will say the action is drastically imporved over those of just a few years back but they still dont work with my altered body. i do have a best friend whos always liked em, now more than ever since he dislocated a thumb and says he can no longer use a paddle shifter, sram or shimano, for much the same reasons i cant use twisters.

i think its well documented here that i may be the only person outside of shimano enginers who like rapid rise. it allows me to downshift under severe load as needed, when needed as opposed to the more traditional style where i needed to shift ahead of the pitch of the climb to keep it from freezing up or back off the power by 20% or more to allow the chain and der to do their jobs. once on top i can toss up to 3 gears in one hit and pedal like mad on the way down or over the following flat trail, and this is also a nice feature as opposed to a series of single, rapid shifts where i may not get good engagement or run out of gear faster than i can keep up with whats needed for power after im done spinning like a fool. keep in mind that im not a power climber so a high cadence spin is my only friend, therefore i may need more upchange once on top than the next guy. same thing as i make my way up. i need every last bit of help i can get so backin off or shifting too soon can turn a always ugly grind into a embarrasing and miserable hike for me.

ok, so im different or wierd in more ways than one and what works for me is possibly much different than the majority and thats cool by me.

one other thought. as my tuneing skills continue to improve, i find front der rub, even on 9 spd, is much less commom with a indexed system but its not eliminated with every combo of parts. if thats the sole reason or main reason for goin to $200 to $400 worth of xo bits, then you may be doin it for the wrong reasons. on a side note, its ok to admit ya just want somethin bling no matter the cost. i feel ya here folks and im guilty as hell.

and one more thing. i dont have the numbers in front of me but id suspect the diff between a xo or xtr pod set and a xo twisters weight might be damn close to being negated by lock on grips. not that i dont love em mind ya, i run odi's on 3 mian bikes. im willin to take the hit for great feel and never turnin a grip off the bar.

please proceed to tear this post apart by the seams. hehe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
Ya I remember the Browning electric transmission. Never rode one but it had it share of problems and I think you had to use their chainrings.
Mavic made (still makes???) an electric rear derailluer for road bikes that worked pretty good. One of my rich friends had one.
To me the biggest weakness of the rear derailluer system is the long cable run and what happens to it when it gets old and dirty. It becomes a pain to shift, both literally and figuratively. The best cable system I ever had was the gore system which I don't think is any longer made.
I might be in the minority too but I like the rapid rise system.
It is important to realize that there are lots of reasons to hate or love a shifting system. Hand size, physical problems amongst other things make one system work well for one and not for another.
 

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
sorry rich. the mavic elecroshiftorama was crap if ya ask me and most other poor fools who had to work on it.. a fine idea with poor exicution. if ya ever owned or worked on one yould be givin me a high five right now. they dropped it after one year i think, back in '98 maybe. gore is long gone too. i did try that stuff a cpl times. once i paid for it, another on warranty. worked great but not for long till it went south inside the housing, even when installed by the gore guys themselves. $50 out the window. thats alot of beer my friend.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top