Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I'm new here and as well to the MTB scene.

I purchased a schwinn sidewinder from wal-mart. yes I know it's cheap but at least to my knowledge I know swapping out some parts might make the bike worthwhile ( I could be wrong). the bike came with grip shifters and I don't like them.. the bike is a 3 x 7 speed and I wanted to know what trigger shifter set would be compatible? I know I need a 3 x 7 set but the one I saw mentioned a ratio I think 2:2 and I don't know what mine is or what that's referring to. also what front dérailleur would you guys suggest. mine looks flimsy and crappy.. my rear dérailleur is a shimano tourney so any thoughts guys thanks...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Most people here advise that it is not worth putting any money into them. Those bikes aren't really designed for trail use. It's probably fine fine for riding greenways and paths.

If you still want to spend your money instead of saving to buy a better bike, Shimano makes the tourney der., so shimano shifters will work.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Pretty simple, as you've already noted you'll need a 3X7 shifter set up. That's going to limit you somewhat as it is. From there you have Shimano derailleurs so you'll need Shimano shifters or at least Shimano compatible shifters. The 2:2 ratio that they were talking about, more appropriately 1:1, is the ratio of cable pull to the amount that the trigger moves. There is a difference. Shimano derailleurs require a 2:1 pull ratio. SRAM derailleurs require a 1:1 (2:2) ratio. So the shifters that you were looking at would not be compatible with your current rear derailleur. For front derailleurs it makes no difference, the pull ratio is the same for all of them anyway. It's the rear where you can end up with compatibility issues. So any Shimano 7 speed shifter will work with your current rear D. You'll just have to dig for them is all. None of the current Shimano "series" components come in 7 speed. However they do make what they call "non-series" components that do. You'll just have to search for them is all.

As far as which front derailleur to get. Considering the bike you don't want to put a lot of money into it. I'd say go with something like a Shimano Alivio front D. They run about $13 and are pretty solid.

So, bottom line is, stick with shifters that have a 2:1 pull ratio and you'll be good.

Good Dirt

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
red93crxhatch said:
hey guys I'm new here and as well to the MTB scene.

I purchased a schwinn sidewinder from wal-mart. yes I know it's cheap but at least to my knowledge I know swapping out some parts might make the bike worthwhile ( I could be wrong). the bike came with grip shifters and I don't like them.. the bike is a 3 x 7 speed and I wanted to know what trigger shifter set would be compatible? I know I need a 3 x 7 set but the one I saw mentioned a ratio I think 2:2 and I don't know what mine is or what that's referring to. also what front dérailleur would you guys suggest. mine looks flimsy and crappy.. my rear dérailleur is a shimano tourney so any thoughts guys thanks...
SRAM makes a Shimano compatible 7 speed trigger still
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=16532&category=773

An Alivio 8 speed front derailleur would work great up front
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=22931&category=76

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Wow, those are high prices for low end stuff. I would just deal with the twist shifters and save my money.

You may find that you like the twisters after you get used to them. That's all some people will use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Squash: Thanks for that. I wont be able to buy a bike soon but yes I do plan on getting a real mtb.. ill just play around with mine or ill consider buying those parts.. we'll see.

mtnbiker72.. Thanks on that ill see if its worth spending that.. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts