Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On your race bike are you using Trigger Shifters or Twist Shifters ?

I am building a new geared race bike, Niner SIR 9 with a 1 X 9 Set up. I plan on using a Sram XO rear Derailer and I am looking at Twist Shifter.

I have only used trigger shifters on my other bikes with Sram Derailers and was thinking about saving some weight.

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Depends on what you're comfortable with. Twisting requires you to move turn your whole hand to shift, and makes simultaneous braking and shifting a little more difficult.

That said: twisters allow you to shift across the whole gear range in one go (not too sensible, but at least it's possible ;-) ) so they get my vote. I really can't stand triggers anyway, as I'm forever accidentally downshifting.

·
No. Just No.
5,386 Posts
I have bikes equipped with each of twisters, Shimano Rapid Fire triggers (thumb/index finger), and SRAM triggers (all thumbs). Tuned properly they all work great, and although it may feel a bit strange at first to switch from one to the other you can easily adapt to any of them with a bit of usage time.

That being said, my personal preference at the moment on my race bikes are the twisters, but I wouldn't find anything unusual about other people preferring one of the styles of triggers either.

See if you can find some bikes with each of the 3 above to spend some time on, keep an open mind to get used to it with a couple of hours of riding ( 2 minutes of riding then saying you don't like it is not a valid trial) then you'll have a more informed opinion that works best for you.

·
Registered
341 Posts
great question

One I am still debating myself.

When I got my first MTB, it had gripshifters. Loved them. When I resumed riding again last year, my Hoo Koo E Koo had them - still loved them.

The TREK 6000 that I picked up and will use for my duathlons had a failing RHS shifter and a cheapo thumb shifter on the LHS - YUCK (yes the bike was beat up). Ditched these ASAP and installed trigger shifters. The JURY remains OUT on whether or not I'll keep them in place. What I need to do is take the HKEK out on a difficult trail and see how I like shifting it under adverse conditions - something I have yet to do.

I'm guessing I'll like the grip/twist shifters more, but I do not yet know for sure.

·
Registered
272 Posts
try it out

jeffh said:
On your race bike are you using Trigger Shifters or Twist Shifters ?

I am building a new geared race bike, Niner SIR 9 with a 1 X 9 Set up. I plan on using a Sram XO rear Derailer and I am looking at Twist Shifter.

I have only used trigger shifters on my other bikes with Sram Derailers and was thinking about saving some weight.
Why don't you just buy it, try it and then decide? It's not like you can't sell the twister if you hate hate it and go back to triggers... And then you'll know which one you prefer. :)

GL,
-don

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
went to twist this year, and other than a couple of wrong-direction shifts while learning, I really like them. They dont feel as 'heavy' to shift as the Sram triggers, but are more exact than the Shimano stuff

·
CoopsDad
52 Posts
Sram XO twist shifters are the way to go hands down! The only downfall is when your hands get cold, they are hard to shift. During the last few miles of Leadville last year I could barely shift. They are like campy on the road, especially in racing cause you can rip through all gears in no time. Either way you can't go wrong with Sram!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help. :thumbsup:

I'm going to give the Sram XO twist shifter a try, At lunch today I went down to my local LBS and picked up a set and also a mid cage rear derailer, I can't wait to get it on the bike and go for a ride.

-Jeff

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do one of each

I actually have an X0 twist shift for the front and an X0 trigger for the rear. I found that the X0 trigger front was so sensitive and if i hit anything during the shift from the big to the middle ring, i would very often accidentally click the shifter a second time and go all the way down to the little ring. That made me crazy...it was almost like dropping a chain. It was not a matter of tuning the shifter...it was just so sensitive, which was fantastic on smooth sections.

I love the adjustability and the crisp, precise shifting of the trigger shift.

Anyway, it is possible to buy the shifters individually.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Hey Jeff - Scott here! Great ride at Wall Point a couple of weeks ago. (What was Carmen's Max HR saved as on her Garmin?)

If you have not ridden with the Grip Shift, one thing to watch for: If you hold the bars with your forefinger/thumb, like a few people do (me being one of them) the part that you hold onto can be "mobile" when you do not want it to be. If you grip with your outer fingers/palm and brake with your index and middle fingers, then you may really like the Twisters. They shift well, but like others mentioned - are hard to brake/shift with. I ran them a number of years ago, and made an effort to change my instinctive grip. My roomate was the tech rep for race support for SRAM, and wanted all his buddies riding the stuff. Great while I remembered to change my grip, but one afternoon I forgot, and dropping into an arroyo, while braking hard, the mind slipped, and so did the shifter! I dislocated 2 fingers and messed up my right hand pretty badly. Couldn't ride and had to walk out a few miles to the car, then drive a manual tranny home about 60 miles. I went back to triggers after that. Try them out - I'd like to see the SIR with the 9-spd on it!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scott thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

I picked up a set today and maybe I'll get the 1x9 set up on this weekend with the new SRAM shifter.

I think Carmen hit 199 on one of the climbs, or was that whole ride one big climb.

I also just put the Lefty Carbon SL this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
Little of Both...

Switched to SRAM X.O twists last year after 6+ years or so of Shimano triggers.

Loved 'em. Only problem I had was during an EXTREMELY muddy 24 my gloves/grips were so caked with slippery mud that I could'nt twist.

This year I'm going with SRAM X.9 triggers on my race bike and the X.O twists on my second bike.

If I had to choose 1- I'd go with triggers. I will say I've never used SRAM triggers, but will know in about 1 month if I like 'em or not :)

Good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Jeff, your singlespeed ^^^ is possibly one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever seen. You did a real nice job building that thing up! :thumbsup: Just thought Id let you know.

·
It's always greener
290 Posts
Hey Jeff,

I'm loving my X.0 twist shifters, the most positive shifting action this side of Campy road. If you can figure out the best for you setup (grip to gripshift relation to brake) you'll love it. Cheaper and lighter taboot.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I picked up some XO twist shifters last week to 1X9 the Niner for racing but rensho is coaching me to race it SS for now in CCCX 32 X 18 but I may need the 1X9 set up for Sea Otter

Right now the 1X9 kit is just setting there waiting to be put on the bike, All SRAM XO with a DT wheel and Stans arch rim.

Hope to see you at CCCX this weekend, It should be dry and with the sun out it might be in the 70's in Monterey :cool:

·
Registered
97 Posts
pro and con

I too have the XO twist and love them, the ability to cross the cassette quickly will be beneficial on a 1X9 if you are riding an unfamiliar trail and get surprised by a climb or obstacle and have to grab an easier gear quickly since you cant dump the front ring like a 2 or 3 ring setup.

the only down side is that the twist shifter is thicker than alot of the full length grips so your grip thickness on the two sides of the bar may be different and may feel weird. probably get used to it quick.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
I've never heard someone say "Dude, I had this massive crash this weekend and broke my triggers!"..either. Nope. Never.

XTR Triggers on the race FS. Sram triggers on the 19lb race HT. XT triggers on 2 more.

Raced the XTRs hard since early 03 and never ever have broken a(any of them for that matter) trigger shifter. Never worn one out either. Still light as heck. 'Works fine last long time'..I always say. Run what floats your boat I also say.

Heres a boring pic of some "heavy" triggers on a 21lb FS race rig just because.

PS. my girlfriends twistgrips are flat worn out. But, they are 7yrs old...

·
Registered
341 Posts
wow duckman... nice ride

Those are some sweet looking controls there and nice colors on that bike! :thumbsup:

More pics somewhere?

I just put twisters on the bike I'll be riding in the next couple of races and MAN did I LOVE training with these babies! Never been fond of triggers and putting the twisters back on just reminded of all the reasons I really prefer the twist shifting.

You gotta just do what you prefer!

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
The frame has been retired to beater/trainer status now(02 NRS M frame at an average 5lb 8oz with ti/alum pivot hardware and ti shock bolts). My current FS race bike is a 23lb Intense Spider.

21lb 2oz as shown(I actually got it down in the high 20lb range at one time).

Stans alum rotor(1st gen) with ti/alum rotor bolts. 2nd lightest discs(03 B4 Pros with B$SL 100% alum hardware)ever made at 570gms total. I also had the even lighter but problematic 03 B4SLs(which are THE lightest discs ever made). Fork pic'd was an 02 Zoke Marathon air at a true 3lb 4oz(the big 32mm sanctioned Noleen fork only weighs 3lb even, or same as a Sid).

I broke the saddle after 2 full seasons of racing. :(

Sprint bike and endurance bike. Old pic a couple days before the 24HOA in Atlanta back in 04. I raced both NRSs for 4 seasons depending on the race(black NRS was low 23lb range. Also note somewhat unique titanium spoked 24 hole UST819/Hugi240 build=1621gms). Blue bike as backup for that race

Current race HT at 19lb 2oz with Stans ZTR wheels. I built it up with the components for the most part from the blue NRS.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.