Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here actually own a set? In search for the best combination of weight and power, I found myself seeking the Piccola. But since then, I've decided to sacrifice a little weight in favor of a bit more power. Although, at 150lbs, I see no need for Maxima power, so I've settled on the Direttissima. But there are almost no user reviews of this brake. The only actual feedback I received was from one member who's had to send the brakes back, so that was not encouraging. I know they are rare and expensive, but surely there's a few more people out there who can share actual experience?

Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have read all the mag reviews. And I think Pinkbike actually encountered some issues as well...

I'll probably still get them...provided I have confidence "complications" are the exception and not the norm.

·
Ride Fast Take Chances :)
3,587 Posts
Best feeling brake ever. Good luck getting parts in a timely manner and forget about getting them serviced by a shop.
They are magical thought.

·
3,587 Posts
So you've got them? And if so, have had any challenges?
Not mine but I've tried them and they are head and shoulders above everything else. Owner bolted them up with no problems and was ecstatic with there performance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 2 sets of diretissima on both of my bikes
They are the best ever!! I’m 200lb and the are far stronger than everything I’ve tried with superb feel

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not mine but I've tried them and they are head and shoulders above everything else. Owner bolted them up with no problems and was ecstatic with there performance.
I hope this is my experience, as I've ordered them up!

I'm guessing most will simply jump up to the Maxima now, but I'm certain the Diretissima will have ample power for me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi !

I just received a used pair yesterday, but without rotors.
Would you recommend ordering trickstuff rotors, or may I use my guide rotors, or magura rotors ?

For information, I ordered some adapters to clamp my sram trigger to the lever, but it's total bullshit. When using the adapter, the bolt head is facing the ground, which makes adjustments not really easy. I can live with that. However, once you install the trigger with the brake lever, the brake bolt head becomes unreachable. If you want to adjust your level position, you will have to first remove the trigger, then you can adjust your lever. I think considering the price of their product, they could have thought this to be a little more user friendly. I'm going to try to have refund for the adapter.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Not apples and oranges....but..
I had a set of the Piccolas a few years ago.
Took about 3 or 4 months to get them.(I ordered orange)
They worked very well....but didn't have much pad clearance ( about the same as Formula R1s) and would drag once in a while (tapping the brake a couple times would usually reset the piston enough, but a pita during a race)
Then I crashed and broke the lever and damaged the master cylinder.
It took forever to get a replacement....about 7-8 months I think...and the cost was ridiculous .(I probably should have just bought new complete new set and had spares)
It was a good brake and super light....but I moved on

·
Registered
626 Posts
Not apples and oranges....but..
I had a set of the Piccolas a few years ago.
Took about 3 or 4 months to get them.(I ordered orange)
They worked very well....but didn't have much pad clearance ( about the same as Formula R1s) and would drag once in a while (tapping the brake a couple times would usually reset the piston enough, but a pita during a race)
Then I crashed and broke the lever and damaged the master cylinder.
It took forever to get a replacement....about 7-8 months I think...and the cost was ridiculous .(I probably should have just bought new complete new set and had spares)
It was a good brake and super light....but I moved on
Damn you and your good points!!!

·
3,587 Posts
codes work great, are easy to come by, and easy to bleed.
Aaaaahhhhhahahahahaha.
Codes are great if you don't want to stop. Not even in the same league as the trickstuff brakes. Then again I love the Shimano XTR 4 pot brakes, but they don't hold a candle to the feel of them either.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts