Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm on the lookout for tips and tricks on getting perfect rear derailleur alignment. The Shimano manuals are a little confusing so I'm interested in hearing techniques you may use or have developed in getting it just right.

Regards

HillBilly.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
first make sure your deraillier & hangar arent bent
1) loosen cable
2)shift fd to small gear for rr, big gear for high normal
adjust stop
tighten cable
3) shift rd to opposite (see #2) gear, shift fd to opposite
adjust stop
shift to middle front, middle rear
shift rear up 1, down 1, up 2 , down 2, go through all the rear gears
if its not shifting cleanly adjust cable (1/4 turn at a time) untill it does

thats pretty much it

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Actually I interpreted the thread to be about making sure his RD and hanger weren't bent, not set up his shifting. In that case you gotta go through the whole process (in which I see little to fault with your advice......) not just the rear.

FWIW in an issue of Mountain Bike action or whatever that rag is I pick up at my LBS about six months ago they ran a 2 page article called "three minute derailleur tune-up". With pix and some narrative to help understand the whole mechanism.

While I have yet to do it in three minutes the instruction was priceless, so much so I clipped it and laminated it in plastic and it hangs in my workshop.

That was six months ago. Since then I have only had to do a minor tweek or two, it worked so well they stay dead on.

A preliminary search of their website shows they ain't giving it away for free. The article is written by one "R. Cunningham" which seems to be the case for a lot of their content. Perhaps if you tell them the name of the article they will sell you a back issue. It's worth it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.