Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going on a couple hour ride tomorrow and I was wondering how people keep their water cold. I am used to riding in the north where a hot day was in the upper 70's but this will be in Birmingham, AL and I am sure it's going to be near the 90's. I will need a lot of water and will have a backpack with me with a 1L reservoir and a few water bottles. Is my best bet just using a foldable cooler and stuffing it in my bag? Stupid question yes but I love me some cold water.

·
Registered
332 Posts
camelbaks do great. and you may need more water than you're bringing...I can easily take down 1.5L from my 3L camelbak bladder in just over an hour on a good hot day (I've done it on 100+ days with 50% humidity). be careful out there, it may come as a shock if you're not used to it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Freeze it all.... make sure you leave room for expansion.. also a block of ice on your back will help keep you cool.. i suggest for one of your bottles filling only like half way and freeze.. that way before the ride you can fill the rest of it with water so you have something to start drinking right away

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good call on freezing the bottles, thats probably the route i'll take. I have a 2 hr drive to the trail so i'll have to load up a cooler in the car too. I know it's going to be hot and i'll probably have 4 water bottles and my 1L reservoir.. I might get a bigger reservoir for this trip or just write out my will.

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oak Mountain in Birmingham, AL. I've seen it's 17 or 20 miles. Some have done it in 3 hours, others around 5 hours.

·
Registered
49 Posts
jdreher55 said:
Oak Mountain in Birmingham, AL. I've seen it's 17 or 20 miles. Some have done it in 3 hours, others around 5 hours.
i would think a good 1/2 gal-gallon of water before the ride would be enough for with everything you are carrying... also SALTY foods...remember.. 1g of salt per hour in hot/humid conditions... and im guessing you're already bringing some carbs to keep that energy high

·
Registered
49 Posts
let me add this...
Few people think of salt when they are feeling thirsty, but many findings suggest that what you add to your water may be as important as the water itself. Many emphatically believe that a high quality sea salt can do more to help combat dehydration than water alone. This new understanding has many people adding salt to their water bottles.

Sea salt has been used throughout history as a healing aid. It is effective due to its natural mineral content. Recent data lists over 90 essential nutrients present within pure sea salt. These healthful components combined with filtered water have many wonderful benefits for the individual.

Sea salt, which is nothing more than dried seawater, often appears discolored, grey or slightly dark, and has a natural touch of moisture. This moisture does not mean that the salt has absorbed humidity or that it is spoiled. Sea salt should not be used in shakers unless they are specifically designed for the product. Instead, you will need a spoon or you can pinch it with your fingers.

Many people notice that no matter how much water they drink, they still feel dehydrated. This is due to the lack of healthy salt inside the body. Adding sea salt to your water and food satisfies thirst longer because the mineral content holds more of the water you drink within your body.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I usually fill my camelbak with as much ice as I can then fill to the top with water. It usually stays cool for the 2-3 hours it takes me to ride the entire loop at oak mtn. btw, it's right about 17 miles. I was riding it last week and the humidity was just insane. Good thing you've planned to bring plenty of water. Enjoy the ride!

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
Gatorade makes a powder now that can be bought at Dick's that is mixed with water in your hydrapak....really salty and actually works. I have been using it for the last month and swear by it. I had ice to my pack and use an insulated tube cover to help keep it cool. I can ride with 80oz of water and its good and cool for 2+hrs. Get rid of the water bottles and invest in a pack...worth every penny. Also get at least 80oz, a 100oz is even better....you never know what might happen out there.

·
Pimpmobile
487 Posts
It's OK to carry bottles along with a pack... I do it all the time.

I DO need to get a tube cover for my pack though... that first drink of hot water isn't very refreshing!

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
information over load!!! I am a powerbar freak, i love them but i'll have to make sure I get something with plenty of salt. I have no idea how much salt is in power bars. It will take some time for me to get used to this southern summer heat but it's not going to keep me from riding. I just wish every ride was like a race where you had occasional drink stands along the trail.

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HamfisT said:
It's OK to carry bottles along with a pack... I do it all the time.

I DO need to get a tube cover for my pack though... that first drink of hot water isn't very refreshing!
I have found this to be the worst part of my set up. I use an Osprey 32L bag w/ a place for my reservoir and the tube just dangles in the sun light... it's like a sip of coffee.

·
Bike Addiction
763 Posts
jd there is a water fountain to top off your water bottles and bag about a 1/4 of the way around. Its located close to the BMX track. If you will ask around someone will help you find it. Its right next to the paved road adjacent to the track. There's also a BUMP group riding Saturday at 8:30 AM if you can make it. All levels welcome. We wait for each other at places on the trails. We can give you a guided tour.

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
00sable said:
jd there is a water fountain to top off your water bottles and bag about a 1/4 of the way around. Its located close to the BMX track. If you will ask around someone will help you find it. Its right next to the paved road adjacent to the track. There's also a BUMP group riding Saturday at 8:30 AM if you can make it. All levels welcome. We wait for each other at places on the trails. We can give you a guided tour.
Thanks for the heads up. I am really hoping to get to the trail by then so I can beat the heat anyway so I will gladly join if I make it. I am coming from Huntsville. I assume the group will be pretty easy to find?

·
Bike Addiction
763 Posts
As you are coming through the park look for a water spill way and bridge on your right. You will be next to the Golf course, after you pass the spill way there will be a paved road on your right going up hill. Take it about a mile and a half to the south trailhead parking lot on your right.Its the last parking lot on your right before you go through an open gate leading to the falls.(The pavement changes at the gate.) There is a shed,dressing rooms and picnic pavillion. Just ask anybody about the ride. Most people there should know about it. BUMP Group ride. Maybe I'll see you there.
Edit: Which bike are you on? I'll look out for you.

·
Granny Gear Guru
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
00sable said:
As you are coming through the park look for a water spill way and bridge on your right. You will be next to the Golf course, after you pass the spill way there will be a paved road on your right going up hill. Take it about a mile and a half to the south trailhead parking lot on your right.Its the last parking lot on your right before you go through an open gate leading to the falls.(The pavement changes at the gate.) There is a shed,dressing rooms and picnic pavillion. Just ask anybody about the ride. Most people there should know about it. BUMP Group ride. Maybe I'll see you there.
Edit: Which bike are you on? I'll look out for you.
I will be on the all elusive 2010 Specialized Hardrock(black and gold). I should be there before 8:30 if I don't hit any traffic.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.