Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I should have included a disclaimer that a puller is a much better method and that personally I wouldn't do it any other way. You could damage the cranks with the riding and loosening method though several claim success. If it were a situation where a puller was not an option...well, no I even carry one in my car tool kit, so no personal experience there.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Not ever having pulled a steering wheel I had no idea, but now that I think of some I've seen, that was cool you could use something already in the toolbox...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Not ever having pulled a steering wheel I had no idea, but now that I think of some I've seen, that was cool you could use something already in the toolbox...
It was a slight pain to use but it worked ok, I can see how a real crank puller would be much easier! I was going to make one but I couldnt find a bolt that large with the same threads as the crank. I was going to cut the end off of a bolt, drill out and tap the center so I could run a smaller bolt through it to press the crank off. I went ahead and ordered a crank puller from PricePoint for the next time.
Aaron

·
dreaming of bottlerockets
315 Posts
Waaay back in the day before I had a crank puller I used a block of wood + precision hammering. I only did this 2 or 3 times before realizing how much harder it is than using the actual tool for the job.

Don't do this if you care about your cranks. My drive side crank got to the point where I could pull it off without using a crank puller, but it wasn't bad enough to really affect anything.

EDIT: Forgot to mention these were ISIS cranks (Hussefelts).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.