Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got into the whole trials thing and i am wondering what the most important/fun skills you should learn. I already have the "side hop: (i think thats what its called) down.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yeah, trackstands, and all sorts of balancing in general. Learn to stay in one place, no matter where, for hours, or however long you need to hop your way up the obstacle. Learn to pivot on both wheels, this will be VERY important if you ever compete in trials (not that I've done it, I've seen videos, and these people would be screwed if they couldn't pivot on both wheels).
Also, LEARN TO LURCH! Lastly, don't ask this forum for serious help. Try here -->http://www.trials-online.com/forum/

Don't kill yourself!:thumbsup:

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright thanks. ive had trackstands down since i started all mountain riding and i can pivot well on my back wheel. i still need to improove pivoting on my front wheel but i have the general idea. Ill work on the lurch next

·
Registered
92 Posts
how long have you guys been riding to get things like backhop, pedal kicks and lurching down?

i'm still having trouble rocking without lifting too high (could be from suspension fork)

i have to reduce it from 100mm, i think it might make things easier

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
aznsap said:
holy crap that stuff sounds hard. i don't even know where to start. i'm having trouble just learning how to manual.
manual is a great place to start...practice it whenever you are on your bike, just riding down the street, going to the store whatever, just practice pulling up and keeping the bike there

then once you get your manual down pat try riding at a slow speed, kick you pedals to get your front end up...go past the balance point untill you start falling backwards...ease the brake so you will lose speed and regain balance then use a technique called back hopping (kinda like using a pogo-stick on your back wheel) and keep your balance, try hopping in circles and just around

once you get that down add in the same move you used to get your front wheel up, but this time put your weight forward untill you start falling down, kick the pedals to regain balance and hop...it should end up in a forward motion hop which with practice can get quite high and far.

its easier said than done and will take months of practice...just like anything whorthwhile it is not easy but once you learn them you will open the aray of tricks you can do and use

·
h-town hucker
284 Posts
psyber_0ptix said:
how long have you guys been riding to get things like backhop, pedal kicks and lurching down?

i'm still having trouble rocking without lifting too high (could be from suspension fork)

i have to reduce it from 100mm, i think it might make things easier
i would go with a rigid. the trials videos that i've seen; the riders have all had rigid forks, or a lesser travel such as 100mm or 80mm, or they have stiffened their forks out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
rigid is very harsh on your wrists, a lot of the riders in vids are already good enough to ride smoothly.

in the trials forums several rode 2 years with suspension forks. 80mm or less

then purchased mod bike (no seast, trial specific frames)

also tootallafrok messes with geometry, lessening the headtube angle.

i ndedgoing with a rock shox j4 so its adjustable 85mm (with LOCKOUT) so its rigid, semi lowpro, and its stiff enough with the lockout not to mess with rocking or whatever tricks are involved. ust in gas itwillblow offand allowforfull travel for big hits, but then go back into locked
mode

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
In most videos I've seen, the people would benefit more from rear suspension, not front. They NEVER land on their front wheel, always on their back. I suppose that's just an aquired skill.

Oh, the g1ant, don't go with a mod unless you are sure you'll NEVER want to sit down. Personally I'd get something you can put a seat on, just so you can sit down on the ride home when you're all tired and stuff.

Go with a stock! Ryan Leech is a good trials rider (I've actually seen ams do better stuff, though, on mods) and he has a suspension fork, a seat, and full 26 inch wheels. You don't need suspension, as long as you've got a bigass rear tire. But trials bikes run those anyway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
no rear suspension as it would suck all your energy out if you are trying to lurch or backhpop. suspension will compress and would throw off your balance. they dont have a seat so they use their body to deflect impacts. i.e, jump, land on rear wheel then squat down low enough to sit on tire. this allows the center of gravity to be lower and places weight behind the rear axle so you can balance on landing. then ease the front down. rear rims are beefy-wide with fat tires to help cushion.

stock is a bike with 26" wheels front to back, or that of anormal bike configuration. some frames geometries hold the abolity to do both very well. i.e Norco moment, planet x jackflash and such. you just want a good standover height (for bailing) and a low seat so you have moreroom to maneuver. also shorter rear chain stay helps getting up on the rear wheel (and easier to manual) vs longer chain stay (think bmx bike, rather easy to pull back into the rear wheel)

mod bikes are supposed to be easier to use since they are small and light. but thats for dedicated trials. it would suck to commute or use for anythgin else.

suspension helps smooth out the bumps, but it would be easier (when you are good enough) to go rigid. that way all the force you are putting into the bike isnt absorvbed

·
tuck-n-roll master
636 Posts
theg1ant said:
I just got into the whole trials thing and i am wondering what the most important/fun skills you should learn. I already have the "side hop: (i think thats what its called) down.
the most important trials skill is patience :D . oh yeah, don't forget that in trials you can simply roll over a lot of stuff. many guys forget that and end up winded from pedal kicking over EVERYTHING. in comps, you only need to get past stuff, not show off.

·
Registered
92 Posts
its not impossible to do on a frotn suspension bike though. many people who dont do competitions but who do it for leasure may or may not have a suspension fork. usually less suspension the better. it makes riding around in general a bit comfortable.

the hardercore you get into it, the better you are at riding smoothly, then you can truely benefit from a rigisd setup.

read the trials-online.com FAQ. its covered there. suspension is not the work of satan.

·
Too Kool for Skool
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no way am i gettin a mod. I just am trying to learn some skills to improve my urban and xc riding. There are several ttf's on the trails i ride and some of them require some trials like skills so im trying to pick a few up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.