Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trials bike finally done! My main reason for building this was to try some new things. There's lots going on here.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

20mm rear through axle, dedicated Magura mounts, chainstay yoke all made on the lathe. BMX chainwheel opened up to accept White Ind trials freewheel with sandwich plate on back.
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part

Dedicated Magura mounts with rectangular tube offset.
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle part Bicycle wheel

20mm dropouts with no pinch bolt, just a little set screw on the axle head.
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

380mm chainstays and 0 BB drop.
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part

The stays were supposed to be 7/8" x .035" but I accidentally grabbed 13/16". Seatstay brace kindly bent by Bellman.
Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle tire Bicycle part

Serial number stamped in brass and brazed on (idea stolen from Capricorn).
Spoke Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Rim Bicycle tire

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Head tube turned from 1 5/8" chromoly.
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle wheel

Thanks to all this who gave me advise.

-Joel

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Like everyone else said, well done! I think all of the lathe work you did on this is really awesome.

How does it ride? I 2nd action shots! :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Great job, definitely different to the run-of-the-mill trials bikes thats for sure! Love the yoke, and the dedicated Magura mounts.

Just one question though - why the layback seat post? Surely a straight post would be better so you can slam it?

Anyway nice work! I request a weight and action shots too! ;p

----edit----
beat me to it! LOL nice move!
----edit----

·
Registered
571 Posts
Joel,

How super sweet is it to begin with an idea, refine it into a design, then bring it to fruition through skill and hard work...congrats.

I'm envious that you made time to build yourself a bike that incorporates so many new design ideas that you've not had the opportunity to use before.

Once you get the controls set up and dialed, then you need to finish the bike with a custom high rise stem/bar combo, she'll be the talk of the next show you attend.

cheers,

rody

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
RaD!

Since nobody has yet complimented you on the yoke, that's a great idea (one of those head-smacking "why didn't I think of that" ones, even).

Are those 24" wheels? My sense of proportion is all goofy, but I'm used to seeing mod bikes with 20" wheels and something just looks weird to me. Maybe I'm crazy.

BTW, I was going to comment "don't hurt yourself", but it looks like you're on the way...glad to see that this bike will get ridden and not just ogled!

-Walt

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
That is a very sweet bike. Looks really strong like you could run over it and it would be fine. Very cool indeed!

Drew

·
Belltown Brazer
693 Posts
Neat-O

Joel, I really like the unfiled fillets and the clear. And all the little details are sure cool. How wiggly were the chainstays with that yoke before you installed the seat stays? I tried the "slice of tube" yoke too and found that the chainstays were wiggly. Those seat stays sure do look like they can resist some wiggling tough....and the through axle rear wheel would help too I guess.

I always admire your work!

B

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Clockwork Bikes said:
Tires are 26 x 2.35" and the chainstays are only 380mm. The yoke was made from a 3.5" tube and cold roll flat bar.

Thanks, Joel
That's a pretty super awesome idea. :) I bet a lot of people are going to try it after seeing. Those are some tight spots to braze, how did you hold it all together, and get the brass to adhere in those tight spots? Did you just braze from the outside, and let it build up a fillet on the inside via capillary action, or did you lay down a fillet on the inside as well?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts