Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't do xc racing, i mostly like going out on trials for 3-4 hours so I would prefer a more comfortable and durable bike. The frame I have was designed for XC racing, can I just use that for the purpose I want it with just adding my riser bar sun singletrack wheels and fox vanilla forks? Thanks.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Ride it as is

You've been riding this bike for some time now. Just because it's a racing geometry frame does not mean you have to use it as a race bike. The only issue you might have is if you start doing very aggressive riding or stunts (e.g trials riding). As for upgrading the bars, wheelset and fork, that's more personal preference than anything. The upgrades you mention do seem very sensible. I'd do it and see if you're more comfortable on the longer rides. Another thing to consider is swapping out the stem. Racing bikes tend to have longer stems with little or no rise to them. This gives you that stretched out position in the cockpit so often associated with racing. If you want a more upright position, I'd consider a shorter stem with a more significant rise. Again, it's personal preference and may or may not be what you're looking to do with the bike.

Bob

·
Registered
193 Posts
I too have a racing xc bike. It had a long stem at 6 degrees and relatively flat bars. As clyde says, this gives you a stretched out feel which although great going up is not so great coming down..I too am in the process of changing to shorter stem (infact changed it today to 80mm 15 degrees) wider tyres, and riser bars.
Unfortunately I haven't progressed enough to give you feed back but feel sure that these relatively small changes (I'm not considering changing the forks -80mm) are bound to make a difference. The main area I want to improve is coming down steep and technical terrain. If I have any news (should be testing the shorter stem in the next couple of days) I'll post.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alexandros said:
I too have a racing xc bike. It had a long stem at 6 degrees and relatively flat bars. As clyde says, this gives you a stretched out feel which although great going up is not so great coming down..I too am in the process of changing to shorter stem (infact changed it today to 80mm 15 degrees) wider tyres, and riser bars.
Unfortunately I haven't progressed enough to give you feed back but feel sure that these relatively small changes (I'm not considering changing the forks -80mm) are bound to make a difference. The main area I want to improve is coming down steep and technical terrain. If I have any news (should be testing the shorter stem in the next couple of days) I'll post.
Great, thanks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alexandros said:
Oraia. Euxaristo poly. Den xanaeida ellina sto site, einai poly euxaristo auto. Prepei na exeis kai esy ti mania pou me exei piasei kai emena me ta mountain bikes gia na vriskesai edo.. Ti podilato exeis?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Markleo said:
Oraia. Euxaristo poly. Den xanaeida ellina sto site, einai poly euxaristo auto. Prepei na exeis kai esy ti mania pou me exei piasei kai emena me ta mountain bikes gia na vriskesai edo.. Ti podilato exeis?
Kai go elega pote tha petiho kanenan ellina. Scott XC hardtail. To girnao sta aglika gia na min nomizoun oi ipolipoi oti tous snobaroume.

I tried the bike with the shorter stem today and it has left me more confused than I was so I posted a thread to see if anyone has had simillar experience http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2693960#post2693960

:thumbsup:

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Markleo said:
It's all greek to me :confused:

Sure you can ride a race style bike where ever you want. I know guys who ride fixies and cyclocross bikes on technical trails. I prefer the creature comforts of full suspension, and gears but as long as it has wheels I think you can roll it down the trail. In fact there are a few crazy folks in my area that ride trails on unicycles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.