Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my FSR expert for about 5 months now. I've pretty much stuck to propedal all the time except on long downhills. Well yesterday after one of those long downhills I forgot to switch back to propedal for a rather rocky climb. It seemed to me that for the rocky stuff the bike actually climbed BETTER with the triad in the open position. It seemed to stick a little better. I was pretty much staying seated the whole time. I had read a review in MBR (british mag) where they recommended propedal for smooth climbs and smooth singletrack and open for rough climbs. I'm starting to think they may be right. Any of you '04 Stumpy riders have a comment?

·
gnuH
1,164 Posts
Propedal

I tend to agree that open is better for climbing in rough/rocky stuff. Propedal basically 'firms up' the first 10-15% of travel, which can make it a bit harsher thru the rough. Instead of absorbing the rock, the rear gets pushed up, lightens up a bit and therefore gets less traction. More evident in muddy/slick conditions.

Rule of thumb for me when climbing:

slow technical stuff = open
everything else = propedal, and pick the smoothest line

Going downhill = open, although as mentioned above propedal only effects initial travel and shouldn't make any difference when bombing downhill.

Sometimes I forget what mode I'm in and just ride. It goes great in both modes.

Don't use the lockout much, except on long road sections.

KR

·
Registered
272 Posts
There are two main places I ride. One of the places is overall real technical with a lot of ups and downs and always rocks and roots. I always keep my bike in open for that. The other place is a little tamer, with a lot of singletrack and fireroads, i usually keep in pro pedal. I also think the front and rear feel more balanced with the rear in open.
My boss has a SJ with a F100X and i am surprised how well both ends match. Although the rear in propedal doesnt totally lock out, it certainly comes close and matches the front end nice even on pavement.

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MTBFreerideCT said:
There are two main places I ride. One of the places is overall real technical with a lot of ups and downs and always rocks and roots. I always keep my bike in open for that. The other place is a little tamer, with a lot of singletrack and fireroads, i usually keep in pro pedal. I also think the front and rear feel more balanced with the rear in open.
My boss has a SJ with a F100X and i am surprised how well both ends match. Although the rear in propedal doesnt totally lock out, it certainly comes close and matches the front end nice even on pavement.
I rode my weekly rooty loop yesterday with it open. Much better! Now the stumpy feels as plush as I thought it could and climbs the rooty,rough stuff better. I made a couple of moves that were rather difficult in propedal (climbs over roots) with no problem. IMHO if I had to choose one or the other I'd take open. I think that is another reason to upgrade to the triad over the lower end propedal only fsr's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.