Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I Like Bicycles
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Pike serviced at the start of the season and there's a slight amount of stiction that has developed over the past month. I really don't wanna cough up $50+ for another overhaul, so... Would it be ok if I squirted some Tri-Flow on the stanchions?

·
EDR
10,697 Posts
"Squirting" oil of any kind is likely overkill and will only attract more dirt. I'd recommend applying some Triflow to a makeup sponge or something similar. I use the triangle shaped ones my wife has laying around. Then wipe the stanchions. The idea is apply an extremely light coat of oil. I ride in very dry dusty conditions so this works for me. Any more lube and the stanchions are caked with a dusty oil mix of muck.

What you can do though if you are having stiction issues is gently pry the dust seal away from the stanchion. Use a plastic screwdriver or pick or whatever you have on hand. You can then squirt a few drops of lube directly under the seals. Then cycle the fork hard a few times wiping off the excess. I actually do this every month or two and I try to wipe the stanchions with a sponge every ride or two.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
[QUOTE='size]spend $8 on a bottle of oil and an hour of your time and do your own maintenance. rs forks are really easy to work on, you'll get to know your gear better and save a bunch of money.[/QUOTE]

X2! Change the oil out with 15 ml of quality synthetic motor oil (5W-30 or 40) in each leg. Pull the lowers off and clean UNDER the dust seals first! Easy to do!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Gman086 said:
X2! Change the oil out with 15 ml of quality synthetic motor oil (5W-30 or 40) in each leg. Pull the lowers off and clean UNDER the dust seals first! Easy to do!

Have FUN!

G MAN
Yup... Synthetic engine oil is the trick. I removed the foam rings also. Push also does that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.