Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Your best bet is likely going to be somewhere in southern NJ with lots of sand that drains well. Check out the JORBA site for trail info. Wish I could help but I've only ridden central NJ trails. If you need to ride in PA it's probably going to have to be on pavement. We all feel your pain, but please respect the dirt and don't ride trails until they are dry and ready.
Yup, I'm not even going to bother this week. Maybe next weekend with all this rain.

This is actually my first time trying to ride through winter(Well, till Feb. since I'm getting surgery done on my ankle and I'll be out for good 3-6 months) Is it like this through every winter time? Where you only get to ride when you are really lucky?

I do have Chester Valley trail on my backyard so I could do that but I really wanted to test out my new set up. :( Oh well.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Its awesome out, I'm going riding in about a hour in shorts! Stick to places that are rocky and drain well or places no one else rides and you maintain. Moon is a good example, I can only think of 1 trail there that gets wet enough to worry and its all rock on the bottom so they only thing your messing up is your shoes lol

Just stay away from Nox, that place is closed for the season now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Thumbs up with those recommendations! Got alot of Ridge top and rocky stuff down here too all around Tamaqua, Summit Hill, Mary D, Nesquehoning, and Jim Thorpe. It's been sweet riding this winter!!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I guess I'll have to try either French Creek or Marsh Creek then. :( Maybe Brandywine like one other said.
Marsh will be horrendous...does not drain well at all.
FC may be better, same for BW...but if the rocks are wet, and/or your tires are packed when yo hit them...well, be prepared.
Mt. Penn might be the best, aside from the sandy places in NJ.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Rode trex a few nights ago- snake, hp1, broken arrow, firemans, and poohs woods open. Dead ends at Brian's / buck run Xing. Didn't even get a thorn flat :0 totally different spatial experience without the AO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
This weather is the primary reason I got a roadie. Unfortunately, I have lyme (contracted last year) and got bit again before Thanksgiving. Still recovering.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I rode the southern 3/4 of the border trail from the covered bridge all the way around and down firemans, back to the covered bridge. Then up broken arrow and back down the rocky road. Two wet spots that could be easily avoided. It is all good to go.
Remember that Killdozer, buck run and brians trail are gone.

·
Registered
694 Posts
any update on trail conditions?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great question, I was also interested because I see they are planning to host the Halloween enduro again (Link is up on Bikereg) but based on this thread the only trail that sounds like it would be viable still is broken arrow
I was up last Thursday (9/8) and it wasn't too bad. Super dry and loose like everywhere else right now, but totally rideable.

I heard rumors of adding a 4th stage this year but I don't really see how considering it seems like theres barely enough for 3 stages.
-Brians starting at the parking lot through HP1
-Pooh's Woods through HP2
-Broken Arrow

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I haven't been there in awhile but I heard they have been working on fixing up some if the trails.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm heading up again today. They have been doing trailwork for sure. Trails are pretty clear and not overgrown and I know they've starting working on fixing berms

·
Registered
668 Posts
So, for whoever isn't caught up, Brian's trail just ends. You can ride to the Border trail and then get on broken arrow. Note, you can see Killdozer and the HPs but you can barely get to them and they're unrideable. Absolutely heartbreaking. I rode down broken arrow. There was a huge tree down at the bottom and then another on Fireman's Trail. Nice out today but this just wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
So, for whoever isn't caught up, Brian's trail just ends. You can ride to the Border trail and then get on broken arrow. Note, you can see Killdozer and the HPs but you can barely get to them and they're unrideable. Absolutely heartbreaking. I rode down broken arrow. There was a huge tree down at the bottom and then another on Fireman's Trail. Nice out today but this just wasn't worth it.
Yeah its been that way awhile now. I rarely go there anymore and I live minutes away. Losing Dozer and HP3 + the insane deforestation killed it for me. There are plenty of rad places to ride in the valley, go check them out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went up there last week after being away 2 years. It was quite a shock. I wish I lived closer to nox or jacobsburg.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts