Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trex conditions...this morning weather was fantastic, hit just about all of it, 10.8 miles worth, a lot of riders, trails slightly tacky, just a few water/mud corners, very grown in just about everywhere, sight lines extremely short if not at all leading to many riders going too fast and runnin wide, tread/benchcuts are very narrow, much evidence of riders slightly off and narrowing it down even more, new re-route is nice, still flowy and fun! Thanks again to those who try to keep that high maintenance place rideable. Anthem 29er.

bdwargs

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
We are at a point where we can spend tons of hours cutting back and it is grown in a few days later! It is tough. I spent 3 vacation days there a few weeks ago with a high weed brush cutter and a saw and it's like I was never there :lol:

Very hard to create good sight lines due to the uneven ground off the sides of the trail, can't get the brush cutter off trail, plus all the Autumn Olive of course. Would need to remove whole plants. It grows so ungodly fast.

As an update to the Killdozer drama, Wildlands Conservancy and Lehigh County are definitely going through with the burning, so we will be losing Killdozer. Forever. :( But we have confirmation we can rebuild elsewhere... Unsure where though. The goal will be for another fast swoopy trail like Killdozer but it depends on environmental studies. And theoretically not through Autumn Olive so better sight lines!

Ride Killdozer while you can! Probably only about 1-2 months left. The goal is to still have Trexfest before the burning commences. Still figuring that out.

Speaking personally, I really wish WC would have thought of this grasslands restoration BEFORE all the people put their time and money into making Killdozer and HP3. But so it goes.

Anyone reading this, please sign the petition and especially note if you live in Lehigh County on the comments of the petition. I have a thread about it going in this PA forum. We still need to keep that rolling.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Are they actually doing Dozer and HP-3? All I saw was Dozer and you don't need Dozer out there to keep a loop. You can jump right from Brians trail to HP3 or Dozer to Brians if you wish now.

I rode there Wednesday and came home with bloody arms from getting beaten by over growth. I've cut a few times out there this year from trimming back to clearing tree's off Broken arrow. I cant believe how fast it grows in.

·
Registered
349 Posts
That is such a bummer (and this is serious understatement of how sh!tty it is to lose killdozer). I've only ridden there a couple times but it was super fun. I was looking forward to riding there more as I have a business deal going on up in Allentown and will be up there a lot this fall. I hope to hit it a few times before the burn. Any idea when the burn is starting and they will close trail(s)? I signed the petition. Its a real shame for all you locals and guys who put in the sweat equity up there. Hopefully you get to rebuild some new trail that is equally fun.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I must be missing something... how does the burning permanently close KillDozer and HP3? Are they concerned about runoff erosion after the burn? Just trying to wrap my head around this.
Signed and shared when it was first posted btw.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
It is 100% definite, we are losing Killdozer and HP3. Sometime in September!!!

There is a verbal confirmation that VMB can build trails elsewhere, but they must be approved by Wildlands Conservancy...

This is copied from one of the Trex trail builders on the Friends of Trex Facebook page:

"The official reason/stance from the "powers that be" on the Killdozer area being in the crosshairs is trail density and proximity to the Gamelands across Mill Rd. they say it is impossible and unsafe to do controlled burns, in that area, with that much trail and that wide of trail. They also want to draw birds and wildlife from the Gamelands area.
Is it a plan? Sure. In 5 years will it work or even continued to be pursued? IMO, doubtful.
There will return some sort of abbreviated trail to that area. So the "grassland" can still be enjoyed.
They've also promised we can rebuild the lost mileage , and possibly more, elsewhere on the North Range .
We will be working that plan to Wildlands and back to the County ASAP.
We will also plan on fixing the problem areas/bad pitches on the North Range Border Trail. Expanding not only the usable trail area , but the Multi-use area as well.
The Central Range will also be back on the table.
It's a temporary setback. A heartbreaking one at that. But I believe the Trexler Game Preserve , in the long run, is a project that is finally moving forward again after being on hold for almost 2 years."

So, hopefully in the end it will be even better there. We need everyone to come to TrexFest this year even if Killdozer and HP3 are gone. We need to show the county how much the trails mean to us.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Rode today

Trails were great, a bit overgrown in spots but its expected.
lot was full by the end of our ride. trex is a great spot..hate to loose killdozer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Will probably be at Trexler with my son tomorrow and it's good to hear conditions were decent. I've taken several archery deer from that area, run, and ride the trails so it'll be interesting to see it post burn.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Anybody have an update on Trexler and if they started the burn/work up there. I am going to be passing through later this week and was going to try and ride there if they didn't start work. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I rode Sunday. It is the best it's been all summer. Andrew or someone from Action Rental (?) has been mowing with a skid steer on a lot of sections, and there's been trimming back by riders of Killdozer and HP3 and Broken Arrow. Those need some trimming before the race to make them optimal but GO RIDE! It's good right now.

Oh, as of Sunday they are not near Killdozer or HP3 with the AO removal. Hopefully that holds out a few more weeks...

·
Registered
349 Posts
That is great news. I went on the VMB website and facebook trying to find info and it said someone mowed, but was talking about thorns and that the contractor started work, so I didn't know what what up. I am psyched to get what will probably be my last ride on Killdozer. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I rode it today for a couple hours and it was fantastic. The weather was perfect, the trails were in great shape and cut back and I didn't see another soul on the trails. I think I had a religious experience. You forget how lucky we are to be able to get out and ride; having a bike, a place to ride and a healthy body, are things I take for granted too often.

They were cutting the brush. Over on Killdozer you could hear them and they sounded close. I kept expecting them to bust through the trail. those little CATs they use really tear up that brush; they literally mowed down the hillside opposite the trial head on the north range.

Get out there while you can, before Killdozer is gone.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I rode there around lunch time today for a couple hours and it was incredible! Since they mowed the area the sight lines are incredible and I wasn't constantly getting nailed with shrubbery! Awesome day for a ride up there!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Get out there while you can, before Killdozer is gone.
I know I already posted this, but can somebody please explain the thinking behind closing the trails permanently in the areas where they're clearing the olive? Anybody know the reason? I'm not trolling just very curious and bummed I won't be able to make it there in time...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
The grasslands that Wildlands Conservancy is planting there, they don't want a trail ripping through because it will disturb whatever wildlife they want to lure there.

The local mtb club is "partnering" with Wildlands to build trails elsewhere on site to replace what was lost (plus re-do sections of Border Trail to make them more mtb friendly, but I'm pretty sure Wildlands doesn't give a **** about biking at Trexler. The Trexler Trust and some within Lehigh County do, and fortunately so, as that is why the trails exist and why we are able to get more after we lose KD and HP3.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The grasslands that Wildlands Conservancy is planting there, they don't want a trail ripping through because it will disturb whatever wildlife they want to lure there.
Smells like BS to me. Unless they mow or otherwise control the growth of trees or other (native) shrubs in that area, it'll all be 1st succession forest soon anyway. I'm all for conservation, but do it in an area that the population you're hoping to re-establish won't become a genetic dead-end due to the island effect. The entire preserve there isn't big enough to support diverse populations of many species. Has Wildlands stated what they want to lure back? Will the area be permanently closed to hunting?
I hope that the support for MTB from Trexler Trust and the County is strong, b/c this sounds like an excuse to start chipping away at trails in the park. Are the new trails definitely happening? Routes approved and staked out?
I'm not trying to be a d*ck to you, Jared, so I apologize if I'm coming off that way. Keep us posted on the new trails - hopefully I can arrange a trip to the in-laws when you're working so I can come pitch in on the new stuff.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I'm not a part of the talks but there is an official understanding that VMB gets to build trails elsewhere. There was a settlement years ago with Trexler Trust and the county where there had to be a lot of chances for recreation there aside from hunting. The mountain biking is part of that. But on the other hand, Wildlands is a consultant to the county there. So users must be vigilant and vocal in their support of the mtb trails.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Agree with wrc2006 - in a couple years I would bet you start seeing shrubs and trees not too long after the grass, unless they manage it. Those wilderness types have good intentions, but seem to have a tunnel vision problem....Losing Killdozer, besides being an awesome trail, really reduces the riding at Trex. When I go there I usually do two to three laps on Killdozer and lap other trails, like half-pipe to get some miles in, with killdozer gone, that's a pretty big hit to the system. Hopefully they let you build some replacement miles. Too bad they won't keep the trail through the proposed grassland. That would be some cool riding, ripping single track through the grass with great sight lines. Doesn't seem like the decision makers gave much consideration to the affect on mountain biking.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Got 2 laps in on killdozer today. Showed up about 15 minutes after the rain stopped. Handful of damp spots but otherwise great conditions.

Didn't see or hear anyone working to clear brush.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts