Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 2010 EX8 and have logged about 80 miles on it so far.

The front brake howls while I am riding. It does not start right away, usually after the first couple of miles. They quiet up when I use them. I can also make the noise go away when I apply a very small amount of brake.

There is also a ticking noice comeing from the front. Sounds like I have a nail in my tire. Tick tick tick tick tick. :madman:

Any suggestions? I wanted to see If I could fix it before I took it back to the shop for a free adjustment.

·
Registered
983 Posts
uhuh.

You can also loosen the two allen bolts that hold the caliper on. Then spin the tire and lightly squeeze the brake lever. While holding the lever, tighten the caliper. That will help center it.

If both of those methods don't work, then go back to the shop.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i've been battling with the brakes on my ex8 with mixed results. try what trhoppe suggested and align the calipers with the CPS bolts. avid brakes are hit or miss, there are tons of threads on here about them.

for the ticking sound, it has to do with where the rim is welded together. i solved it by taking the tire off, moving the rim strip out of the way where the weld is, and squirting a some tri flow in through the spoke holes on both sides of the weld, aiming towards the weld. hasn't clicked since. there is a thread somewhere on here with pictures if you need them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
timmaayyy said:
for the ticking sound, it has to do with where the rim is welded together. i solved it by taking the tire off, moving the rim strip out of the way where the weld is, and squirting a some tri flow in through the spoke holes on both sides of the weld, aiming towards the weld. hasn't clicked since. there is a thread somewhere on here with pictures if you need them.
Thats what i did It went away after about 2miles and about 100miles later still no sounds. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts