Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what will be the best trails to ride for a Beginner? This will be my 3rd time up there but this time i am going to rent a bike since i wont have room in my car for mine . I am soo looking forward to hit some sweet DH .

For the last 2 July 4'th weekends i have been up there but i am going up Tuesday-Friday this year so i hope the it will be a Ghost town.

Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:
 

·
Kid In The Helmet
Joined
·
206 Posts
Shy Ann - Long Trail - Lonesome Whistle - Boot Camp - Boulevard - Free Speech. these trails should keep you entertained for a good amount of time...then as you progress you can start to jump up to some of the more difficult trails.

do yourself a favor and upgrade to the demo program and get yourself a brand new super sweet bike! I recommend the SX Trail.

have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
Just stay off of Trestle DH and Be All You Can Be. About everything else should be super fun. You might not be the fastest - but who cares!!?
 

·
formerly Nomad rdr
Joined
·
188 Posts
What Klaus said. My 12 year old son and myself went yesterday and the only "hard" trail on the mountain is Trestle. Everything is rollable and there are no true big drops. It is a pretty safe place to hone your skills. Everything is marked and there are no big surprises. It was a fun place to ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys. When i am up there i always watch the guys come down and watch in envy. This year my wife said to go and they ( her and my Sis inlaw ) will watch my Nieces so i can enjoy a day on the Mtn. I am going to enjoy the late riding Wednesday because they keep the lifts open till 7..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
Can you really roll the drops on Be All You Can Be? I hit them all the time but not sure I would try and roll them.
 

·
~~~~~~~~
Joined
·
5,932 Posts
On the flip side of the OP, what's up with the steep techy gnar stuff? I'm seeing plenty of jumps and berms but I'm hoping for an update on some truly scary trails. I know the terrain is there, and whatever happened to i2i?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
MBX5 said:
Can you really roll the drops on Be All You Can Be? I hit them all the time but not sure I would try and roll them.
Be All... requires a 2-3 ft drop off the wood in the beginning. But if you pop off the wood and land on the tranny, then it's actually really smooth. Two strong pedal strokes on the wood and the tranny is a sure thing.
I'm not sure if you can roll the exit air off the wood at the end either. Again, a small pop and you're in the tranny and it's smooth goodness.
There's a pretty big step up in the middle. Once you round the berm, start pedaling. You can roll it on the left, but you'll need speed. So, pump everything you can, especially the dip right before.
Enjoy, I do :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
green world should be open by next weekend so beginners can have a great experience. "Rain Maker" which is what the jump trail is now officially called will have a new section open hopefully for Wednesday afternoon. Big berms and nice big jumps. More singletrack on the go including upper No Quarter which will send you into the existing section at about 20-30mph to allow for some more speed through the whole trail. More trails or sections of trail will be opening up straight through until closing day.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
Any chance some of the existing stuff will be worked on? The berms are starting to show some signs of wear, chatter bumps, etc...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
yes, maintenance will be a priority. The crew was focused on GW and RM. Now that the end is in sight it will be buffing up the existing stuff.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,171 Posts
gldk said:
yes, maintenance will be a priority. The crew was focused on GW and RM. Now that the end is in sight it will be buffing up the existing stuff.
Thank you, sir! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,826 Posts
Went up to WP today and had a great time. Rode everything in sight from Trestle DH to Shy Ann and everything in between. Some friends up from NM were amazed at how good Trestle and SV are.

We have now hit SV, Keystone and Trestle. Man, are we blessed. If you can't have fun on a gravity bike at any of these areas, you just don't have a pulse. Imagine riding the best rollercoaster on earth as many times as you can until you just can't ride any more.

These are salad days for DH in Colorado..get out there and ride! The areas are all working really hard to show you a great time, and the trails are just awesome.

As for Be All U Can Be, I wouldn't recommend it if you are going to roll the drops, as pointed out, you need to at least pop the launches, but to me the jump in the middle of the three wooden drops is the danger. That thing deserves respect. If you are riding that line for the first time, take it easy as that thing has a nasty kick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
That was my thought on Be All U Can Be just a small pop makes it to the transitions but I for one would not want to roll the drops. I've had a few people ask me when I was starting the trail if you could roll it but never felt comfertable telling them yes.
 

·
I heart the drops
Joined
·
1,105 Posts
chris I would recomend hitting the new greenworld trails along with long trail and shy ann in that order.
 

·
Mojo0115
Joined
·
1,667 Posts
honkinunit said:
Went up to WP today and had a great time. Rode everything in sight from Trestle DH to Shy Ann and everything in between. Some friends up from NM were amazed at how good Trestle and SV are.

We have now hit SV, Keystone and Trestle. Man, are we blessed. If you can't have fun on a gravity bike at any of these areas, you just don't have a pulse. Imagine riding the best rollercoaster on earth as many times as you can until you just can't ride any more.

These are salad days for DH in Colorado..get out there and ride! The areas are all working really hard to show you a great time, and the trails are just awesome.
I couldn't agree more! My weekend so far has gone as follows:
Friday - duck out of work early and get up to Sol Vista in time to see Steve Peat and hear the stories of his riding. Rip Sol Vista trails from 5-7pm.
Saturday - Ride Winter Park from 9.30am-4.30pm, drive down to Sol Vista and ride Stranger, Cheezit, Silky, etc from 5pm to 7pm.
Sunday - Take a "break" from Frazier valley and drive over to Keystone for a day more DH goodness. Haven't been to Keystone for the past 2 seasons and it was fun to get back there.
Monday (today) will be Winter Park with friends again.

Spoiled Rotten is how I describe us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
zzsean said:
I couldn't agree more! My weekend so far has gone as follows:
Friday - duck out of work early and get up to Sol Vista in time to see Steve Peat and hear the stories of his riding. Rip Sol Vista trails from 5-7pm.
Saturday - Ride Winter Park from 9.30am-4.30pm, drive down to Sol Vista and ride Stranger, Cheezit, Silky, etc from 5pm to 7pm.
Sunday - Take a "break" from Frazier valley and drive over to Keystone for a day more DH goodness. Haven't been to Keystone for the past 2 seasons and it was fun to get back there.
Monday (today) will be Winter Park with friends again.

Spoiled Rotten is how I describe us.
:thumbsup:

Hmm Yea but that is why we live here right?
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top