Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what happen to all the buzz... any new bikes being built, being ridden, new reviews?? I was very excited about the 29er and to read new reviews, etc but it seems to have fallen down the charts in discussion.

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Check in with Bstiff. He's been on one for almost a month now. Everytime I see him, he's raving about how the bike keeps getting better and better the more he rides it. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I love mine. I had a few issues with the rear end pivots loosening but it didn't make me like the bike any less. I am running it in 5.5" travel mode for a change of pace and think I may like it better.

Intense was awesome about dealing with my issues and shipped a new frame, so I am actually on my second. I don't have anywhere near as many miles on this frame yet, but will definitely give an update if I see a recurring issue.

Ken

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks!

I appreciate the info. Looking forward to hearing more as you go along. Very interested in this bike as well as RIP 9. Like the xtra travel even if there really isn't a fork yet, but I'm waiting anyway, so there's hope for that to happen. Can you speak the the rear suspension? I'm currently on a Maestro from Giant, very similar to DW-Link and I don't know much about single pivot suspensions. That is my main concern with going T29 vs. RIP 9. Love to hear your take.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tracer 29er

I have been riding the Tracer 29er for 29eronline as well as getting feed back from other riders.

We at 29eronline Love the Niner Rip9 and CVA suspension.

The Tracer 29 is much more plush then the RIP9 and the RIP9 is no slouch. I have been running it in long travel mode for the majority of the test so far. I ran it for a little bit it in the shorter travel mode and preferred the long travel. I will switch it back for comparison sake for a few rides.

This bike really needs to be run with a 140mm fork. We are running it with a Fox f29 Rl fork. The fork does not do this frame justice. Still I love the way it handles. other testers are blown away by its cornering ability. It does fine in the slow tight stuff but really shines going fast.

The RP23 is not doing this bike justice. If you can I would try another shock. It is very easy to use all the travel up doing even small drops. I would prefer using a shock with bottom out adjustment.

I have really no complaints so far as far as handling and the suspensions performance. Our medium frame weighs 7 LBS 13 OZ so very reasonable, about 9oz difference compared to the RIP9 with paint and only a couple of oz from the Turner(if I remember correctly). and I believe about 7 oz lighter then the WFO9.

I would say, and take this with a grain of salt because they are so different, the rear end is as plush as the Turner Sultan(just more of it) It pedals as well as the Sultan but not as good as the RIP9. It is as stiff as almost everything out there even with the 135mm standard drop. But has a better bottom out(more friendly) then the Sultan and is more capable to handle rough terrain then the RIP9. It reminds me alot of the WFO9 but is lighter and plusher using the same shock.

That's all I have for you so far. I am sure this will evolve over then next couple of months but you will have to check the review out when it makes it to E-print.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Muchas Gracias Caoboto!

Thanks for the pre-review. Just the kind of info I was looking for. Sounds like perhaps a new REBA 140 would do nicely. I'm most interested in how it handles the slow technical stuff as well as fast technical descents. It seems the operant descriptor from RIP 9 owners is "FUN!" That's pretty hard to beat, but it sounds like with a new fork the Tracer29 might be up there too. I'll be sure to catch your full review. Thanks again!

·
caffeine dependent
186 Posts
ignazjr said:
Check in with Bstiff.
I'll consider myself called out.

First, the disclaimers: I've been riding hardtails and softtails, 26" and 29", for over a decade. I test-rode two dual-suspension bikes in the last year: dirtydoug's DW Sultan and ignazjr's (Dave's) Tomac Snyper. Thus, I don't have a lot of basis for comparison. I come from an XC/single-speed racing background, and with the decision to go for longer rides on more difficult trails, I was getting frustrated with the lack of versatility and fatigue I was experiencing with very long or difficult rides.

That said, I've been very pleased with the way the Tracer rides. I had some initial concerns getting the suspension set up, but after two or three rides and some input from Dave, I was able to sort the suspension out to where I'm very happy with the bike. Now that the bike is working well, I am able to go for long, difficult rides that used to leave me frustrated and uncomfortable. Now, I'm disappointed when I reach the end of rides, particularly stuff like Little Raven/SSV near Boulder, where I feel confident cleaning the whole descent (except for those two spots where trees are on the trail right now).

Dave and I built the Large T29 with a TALAS 120 with a tapered headset. I run the rear in the 5" setting, and I tend to use the front lockout and rear pro-pedal, and drop the front for longer climbs. Dropping the front end makes enough difference in the steep-climb handling for it to be worthwhile to reach for the switch. Front and rear lockout/pro-pedal leave enough compliance to get the bike through all but the chunkiest climbs. Climbing without the lockouts dramatically increases the feeling of the weight of the bike (just over 34 pounds).

With descending, as I mentioned above, I feel very confident that the bike will go where I want it to. The big wheels and suspension devour almost anything I encounter. I haven't been off of any giant hucks (more than a couple feet, although I like to get some air under the wheels off of rollers when I get a chance), but the tail seems really plush, and the 120 in the front seems plenty adequate for local uber-chunky descents.

The bike is set up with wide bars and 90 mm stem, to go with the tapered headset and 15QR in the fork. The front end feels very stable. I don't notice any flex from the fork, and I haven't run into circumstances where I felt the head angle was too steep (i.e, no sense of pushing/washing out the front end).

As I mentioned in another thread regarding the VPP, there is absolutely no pedal feedback from rear-suspension activity in climbing, as compared to a very definite sensation of the tail's activity on a DW Sultan. The Sultan really felt like it was "digging in" on bumps, but the Tracer just motors along. Climbing is very comfortable.

The only complaints that I have with the bike are similar to those of other 29ers (On-One Inbred 29, Voodoo Dambala, some James hardtail, and a Salsa Dos Niner). I've always felt like the bottom bracket seemed low, compared to the sensation of the bike riding a little further away from the ground. Also, like other 29ers, the bike feels a little long on very tight, steep switchbacks. However, I think these complaints are endemic to 29ers, and would only be a surprise to someone who has never ridden a big-wheel bike before.

As a side note, I built the bike with a Rohloff gearhub in the back end. I was worried that the weight of the rear wheel (~8.5 lbs!!!) would tend to adversely affect the rear end's compliance. I haven't noticed this to be the case.

To finish the disclosure, I haven't ridden other dual-suspension 29ers (desides the DW Sultan). I can't offer a subjective comparison with, say, the Tallboy, or that Specialized thing, or a Pivot or Niner or whatever.

To be honest, I feel like the T29 works very well for me. The bike seems to work very well for the way I ride, and what I like riding it on.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I had a test ride on the T29, I can't say that my breathe was taken away.....
The bike felt slow, heavy and no much fun in it.
I use to ride 29" HT, so the 29 is not new to me.
I tried the Kona Hei Hei 29 (2008 model) and i felt faster, quicker and all a round better.
The T29 had the 120 Fox at front, I think that if the bike had a 140 fork, a wider wheels and maybe a better shock it could become another creature, a better one.

I need more time on the bike, but I am pretty sure that the frame supposed to be on the more aggressive side, as it was described before by Jeff,
"T29 in works with Hammerschmit & a bit more AM build , with 2.35 panni's, 142 QR12 rear.
Notice G2 drop out is in back (18") position and set up with -1 degree Cane Creek angle adjust head set (68 HA )."
(maybe the spider 29" 2 is gonna be the fast and nimble not the T29).

I cant take it for another test ride, so before I will push the trigger to buy one I need to hear your thoughts, especially from the guys that ride it with 140 at the front.
Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
tracer 29 at 29eronline

esku, can you tell us a little more about the set up you rode? What tires, rims? Was the travel setting set on the shorter travel setting(hole furthest from shock) or the long travel setting(hole closest to shock on swing link)?

Also were you in the small chain ring alot?

One thing I feel I have to say. This bike is about tech. ability and confidently rolling over things. Also it corners awesome and has incredible climbing traction. It is not the fastest up the hill. The Medium test sled I have is 7LBS 13OZ. In my opinion this is an excellent weight for a 5.5 travel bike. It does not feel as light pedaling even as the 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper 29. It definitely takes plushness a couple of steps further then the Specialized. Different strokes for different folks. I like them both for completely different reasons. the reason I mention this is to illustrate the point of how different similar rear travel bikes can ride and each one has positives and negatives.

The Tracer has to be set up correctly. It really does best as far as plush terrain swallower with close to 30%sag. If the bike was set up closer to 20% it will not even remotely live up to it's potential. These are of coarse opinions.

I am also curios to here what you were expecting to feel when you rode this bike. I love the Tracer 29 but am very realistic as far as it's strengths and weaknesses.

I am in the process of trying to source a Reba 140 to test this bike with the fork it was really designed around. When that happens I will post up again

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
I rode a Tracer 29 at Outerbike from the SRAM tent. I was really looking forward to riding this bike as I thought it might be the longer travel 29'r I was looking for. I currently ride a 2010 Sultan and have owned. 2008 & 2009 sultan. I also have a 1st year jabberwocky. During the week I rode a Rumblefish, Sultan and the Shinobi as well as the Mojo HD and the proto RFX.

The SRAM mechs were maticulous in setting it up. I probably waited 20 minutes while they went over every inch of the bike. It had the new X0 2x10'drivetrain, the Reba 140 up front and a Rockshox rear shock in the 5.5 travel position. I'm 5'7" so I grabbed the medium they had available.

I rode around the bar M trails in Moab where I was taking the demo bike out to the rockin A trail to give them a good workout. The trail is solid rock but not real smooth with lots of small ledges and steep ups and downs. A great place to test a suspension.

On the smoothr dirt/sand trails leading out for the rockin A the Tracer was a great climber and pedaled with no noticeable bob. The 2x10 drivetrain was awesome too. The riding position was a little more up-right than im used to but it was not bad. Starting down the rock I noticed that the suspension was a little harsh. I adjusted the rebound to speed it up and also took out a bit of air. It got slightly more compliant but still not mind blowing. When pedaling through the rough sections the bike kept feeling like the suspension was hanging up and not letting me accelerate. This is an area I think the Sultan excels in. The Tracer just did not pedal as well as any of the other 29'r I tested. Climbing in the rough made the suspension feel locked out and not as active as I would have liked. It did well soaking up the ledge drops and handled the twisty sections quite well. On the way back to the demo tents there is a downhill section of doubletrack that I used for highspeed stability testing. Surprisingly the Tracer was a little on the sketchy side. I felt lime I couldn't go as fast as I wanted to.

Overall I was disappointed in the Tracer 29. It felt more like a shorter travel, twitchy XC bike than the long travel go anywhere bike I thought it was. The 110mm travel rumblefish was much more compliant and confidence inspiring. Maybe the suspension was not broken in maybe setup was wrong but this first ride impression moved the Tracer 29 to the bottom of my desired bike list.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If those photos are the bike you rode, it doesn't look like it was in the long travel setting. The top hole is for the 5.5" travel. I have noticed a huge transformation in my T29 by moving from the 5" to the 5.5" setting. YMMV

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Pair0dimes said:
If those photos are the bike you rode, it doesn't look like it was in the long travel setting. The top hole is for the 5.5" travel. I have noticed a huge transformation in my T29 by moving from the 5" to the 5.5" setting. YMMV
I verified that it was in the lower hole. If you zoom in on the pics you can see it too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
SSINGA said:
I verified that it was in the lower hole. If you zoom in on the pics you can see it too.
Sir - lower hole is the 5" setting. That is what I was getting at. Not trying to be snarky here, just clarifying the point.

In your post above you said "aIt had the new X0 2x10'drivetrain, the Reba 140 up front and a Rockshox rear shock in the 5.5 travel position. I'm 5'7" so I grabbed the medium they had available."

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
then the SRAM guys were wrong - as they informed me it was set in the 5.5 setting. The ride was still sub-par when compared to the other 29'r bikes I rode (which were all less than 5" of travel)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: SSinga

Ssinga, first off thanks for your comments. I have read your comments about the Sultan in the Turner forum so I know where you are coming from. I owned and tested the Turner Sultan. It is really hard to match the plushness of the Sultan.

If the T29 was set up in 5" mode(it looks as though it was) I agree with what you said. It really is a different bike in 5.5 inch mode. It is noticeably plusher all through the travel in 5.5 mode.

Second I have been riding the T29 with the rp23 shock. from what I hear the Monarch has alot more built in platform then the RP23 with propedal turned off. Also the size of the air can could change things. I did not notice if the Monarch was a high volume shock ?

So basically I will take your word for it when you say it rode harsh. It probably did. I am not sure why Intense is sending people out on a bike with the Monarch rear shocks instead of the most commonly speced Fox shock.

As far as pedaling, I agree it pedals fine. there are better pedaling bikes. I still love riding this bike. I am not getting the same high speed jittery feeling you get even with a 120mm fork.

I enjoyed reading Ssinga's review it is always good to hear a different perspective.

i think I remember you were from GA. If you are ever in NC and 29eronline still has the Intense T29 I would love to let you ride it with me on some local trails.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi guys
You all talk about suspension and plushness,
I had no problem with the sus' or the plush', a bike is not just that.
I had a problem with a.... let say the "FUN FACTOR", I just couldn't find it.

I ride Intense for a long time, loved the Uzzi VPX, the SS, a bit less the Socom (but still much fun) actually I think I had most of intense bikes.

Can the T29 be a bit more than just a paddling platform, can it jump from any "kicker", can it roll fast on the trails, can it give you a big smile in the and of the ride :confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
SSINGA said:
Surprisingly the Tracer was a little on the sketchy side. I felt lime I couldn't go as fast as I wanted to.
well, the tyres are not exactly AM or enduro capable, don't you think?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.