Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
boris the blade said:
it is shimano's new 2X6.5 drivetrain, all the pros are using it. :D yes i am being sarcastic as hell.
im obviously new to the site and to mtb terms. I pretty much just a weekend biker but i want something better than what i got. I considering the 6700 disc or the 8000. Whats you thoughts on those two models?

·
self destructive
169 Posts
honestly i would also take a look at a gary fisher tassajara disc or hoo koo e koo (similar to the trek 6500 and 6700 respectivey) if you local bike shop is also i fisher dealer. The 6700 is a nice bike, from what you stated in your post that you are just now a weekend rider looking to maybe do some more riding in the future the 6700disc would be a good bike. With that being said if you are looking to start racing then the 8000 may be better suited for you. the 8000 will be a ligher bike with better performing components than a 6700, although that is not to say the 6700 is not a good bike. My advise would be to see if you local bike shop (LBS) has either to test ride and see what you like best. If there are any more details about your riding style that you would like to share that would make helping you eaiser.

Welcome to the board, i was not trying to come off a total jerk although it looks like i may have. I hope this helps put me in better favor.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
I love my 01 8000 and I don't race. I test rode a 00 version before making a decision though. Test rides are very important to make sure you like the ride and for fitting/comfort.

Stu

·
Registered
129 Posts
Stuart B said:
I love my 01 8000 and I don't race. I test rode a 00 version before making a decision though. Test rides are very important to make sure you like the ride and for fitting/comfort.

Stu
The 05 6700 is right on par with the 01 8000 (actually a bit better imho) The 05 8000 is gonna be quite a bit lighter and better suited for racing. Cant really go wrong with either

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
gunsworth said:
The 05 6700 is right on par with the 01 8000 (actually a bit better imho) The 05 8000 is gonna be quite a bit lighter and better suited for racing. Cant really go wrong with either
You are probably right

Mine was circa 28lb when I bought it. I imagine that is what the 6700 weighs these days.

Mine is 24.75 at the mo. I think they made a lot of improvement in frame weight since mine was made too.

Both bikes are 71/73 and have the same top tube length.

Stu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.