Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This is my first time on the forums! I just purchased a Trek X-Caliber 4 from a bike shop yesterday, and had a question. I am 5'6" and I got a 17.5" frame. The bike rides extremely smoothly, especially when compared to my previous bikes, since this is the first time I've owned a bike actually meant to be ridden. Anyhow, I've had issues coming to a stop at intersections and standing with the bike. My legs do not reach the floor, and I sometimes I have to get off the saddle to be stagnant at an intersection. Is this normal? Or is the bike too big? And if it isn't, then what are some good ways to come to a halt and still be able to comfortably stand with the bicycle? It feels like the bike is a little big because I've never ridden a bike with a proper frame size.

Anyways hope you guys can help me out, and thanks in advance! :D Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't have much in the way of help to offer, but I'm the same height and also in the market for my 1st bike. The staff at a couple of the LBS I've visited have all recommended a 15.5 frame for me as it gave me good extension without being too tall (I'm a 29" inseam). Did you happen to get fitted prior to selecting the 17.5?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Dept store bikes are meant to be ridden on street with getting on/off motion in mind, which typically translates to geometry that let you transition from riding to standing with both feet on the ground with minimal effort.

You typically won't be able to put both your feet down on the ground with "real" (don't mean to be snobby, after all, we all start from those...) mt bikes. Mt bikes have higher bottom bracket, and the fit is usually measured by your pedaling position while spinning. When your foot is at its lowest in a pedaling cycle, you should have a slight bend in your kee - to maximize your leg power output. From there, it's all about preference. Also your upper body should be leaning forward comfortably, so when you stand and pedal, you still maintain your center of gravity around in the middle of the bike.

If the shop fitted you the bike (if they just sold you the bike without proper fitting, then don't ever go back there), then it should fit well. Now go enjoy your ride!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am also 5'6" with a 30" inseam and I ride a 15.5 X-cal 8 that I purchased last fall. I did add a Thompson seat post for a little extra seat height but the bike feels perfect length wise. I was shop fitted for it and it works for me.
If you were fitted, then as hatake says above, you are all good. They know what works. If not, perhaps give them a ring with your concerns.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Depends

I ride the same exact bike, same exact size. It fits me perfectly and my feet are not flat against the ground when I am on my saddle. I am 5'6 with a 31" inseam. It probably is how the bike is designed to work, if you want your feet to be against the ground when you are stopped at an intersection, lower the seat and that should work fine, but if you are worried about efficientcy, I would recommend just getting off the saddle.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Put one foot on a pedal, the other on a rock when you need to stop. If you don't have any rocks handy, find someplace that does.

Seriously though, 29ers are taller bikes. I'm 5'10", ride a 17.5" and can stand flat (off the seat) with both feet.

If you're hitting your boys on the top tube, then you may not have enough standover - 17.5 might be too big for height. I don't know how important that is anyway, as several threads here address. The balance of the bike's feel is more important.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.