Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't really want to spend this much but its looking more and more like this is the minimum to spend to get a bike of subjectively good quality.

-I can get an trek x-caliber 6 for 750 at a local chain bike store with some service.

-They also had an x-caliber 4 for 550.

-A smaller store(I loved that place) had a Giant Revel 29er for 605.

-I was thinking about buying the Airborne Guardian 2.0 for 675 shipped.

Thoughts on these options or perhaps some other online option I don't know about. Local craigslist is pretty empty of anything in this category.

Thanks!

(taxes where applicable included in pricing)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I looked at X-Caliber 4 vs Giant Talon 27.5 5 and went with the Giant because the specs seem better, it rode nice and i liked the shop folks more than the trek dealer

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
The Revel 29er is really basic, and with similar (or worse) components than the X-Cal 4, it costs way too much. If you want to (and can) buy the X-Cal 6, that bike has far better components than the 4.

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
The problem with those bikes is the cheap fork.
Go for the Marin Bobcat 29 on ebay. Alivio/Deore drive and a Raidon air fork with a sealed no maintenamce oil damper, adjustable rebound damping and 4.5lb weight with the tapered aluminum steerer tube.
2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 17" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay
You get two years or more of skill development without needing a new bike. M615 brakes for an upgrade sometime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice. Thinking about the Marin. Edit: bought the marin for about 550 including shipping. Now to decide to bring it to a shop or put it together myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts