Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just comparing the models offered by each of these companies and wondering how they compare.

Trek offer the Superfly which is their XC FS, then the Fuel Ex which is their 'trail' bike then the Remedy which is more all mountain.

Giant offer the Anthem which is the XC equivalent of the Superfly then the next model is the Trance. Just wondering is the Trance more comparable to the Fuel Ex, the Remedy or is it somewhere in between?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've demoed both the Fuel Ex and Trance in close proximity.

Personal preference will vary but I really enjoyed the ride characteristics of the Trance over the Fuel Ex. How much climbing will you be doing? If you're into XC more than trail and All Mountain the Fuel Ex I found climbed a bit better but for overall enjoyment I personally liked the Trance.

Will you get a chance to demo either of them? What's the main purpose of the bike going to be?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a XC hardtail so I am looking for more of a trail bike with more travel and more trail geometry to make the descents more fun/comfortable. But I'll still need to climb to get to the descents LOL.

I actually bought the Superfly FS8 and whilst it's a great bike it feels too similar to my XC hardtail. A buddy is interested in buying it so I was thinking of switching to the Fuel Ex but then the Trance caught my attention as it is a great bike and the 2014 models are now on sale. I always thought it was more of an all mountain bike like the Remedy and thought it was too much bike for my needs but reading the reviews it seems like a pretty nice trail bike.

I guess I just wanted to know if I am comparing apples with apples.

I can probably demo both, definitely able to demo the Fuel Ex.

My goal is to have two bikes with a definite point of difference i.e. a lightweight XC hardtail for the longer, smoother trail rides and a burlier trail bike for steeper, slightly more technical riding.

The Superfly is a really nice ride but I just feel like it is too similar to my HT bith being XC bikes.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Here's a thought for you. I ride a Giant Anthem (29er). I demoed a high end Fuel (carbon, XTR) for giggles while considering buying something that could stand a little more beating than the Anthem, which really is a great, fast XC machine, but I'm a clyde, and the warranty on the Anthem doesn't cover "jumping" - mostly not a problem for me, but bear with me. The Fuel didn't pedal as well as the Anthem did, which I'd be able to accept (we're talking XC race vs Trail here, right?) but the ride was also less compliant, and trail chatter more pronounced, which hardly seemed right. A Trance (29er) is more plush than an Anthem, and honestly, it doesn't pedal that much worse. All things considered, I think I'd consider myself a fan of Maestro.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a thought for you. I ride a Giant Anthem (29er). I demoed a high end Fuel (carbon, XTR) for giggles while considering buying something that could stand a little more beating than the Anthem, which really is a great, fast XC machine, but I'm a clyde, and the warranty on the Anthem doesn't cover "jumping" - mostly not a problem for me, but bear witnh me. The Fuel didn't pedal as well as the Anthem did, which I'd be able to accept (we're talking XC race vs Trail here, right?) but the ride was also less compliant, and trail chatter more pronounced, which hardly seemed right. A Trance (29er) is more plush than an Anthem, and honestly, it doesn't pedal that much worse. All things considered, I think I'd consider myself a fan of Maestro.
That's interesting because Trek hype the DRCV on the Fuel pretty heavily but you think the Maestro is better for soaking up the small bumps even on a 100mm XC bike vs a 120mm trail bike?

The 100mm travel on my Superfly is pretty sweet. I'll have to demo the Fuel Ex and the Trance to compare.

Was the shock properly setup for you?

·
Registered
86 Posts
The base Trance 3 has more suspension travel than any model fuel and a bit slacker geo. I find find it's more fun and plush than my previous 12' Anthem 29er and my 13' Stumpjumper FSR comp. Not many people complain about the Trance for a reason, it's a great trail/all mountain bike. Plus it's 27.5 if that matters to you? Not sure if the Fuel is offered in that wheel size yet?

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
That's interesting because Trek hype the DRCV on the Fuel pretty heavily but you think the Maestro is better for soaking up the small bumps even on a 100mm XC bike vs a 120mm trail bike?

The 100mm travel on my Superfly is pretty sweet. I'll have to demo the Fuel Ex and the Trance to compare.

Was the shock properly setup for you?
Exactly my point, regarding the hype. But yes, the Anthem was a smoother ride. In theory, the shock was properly set up for me. I rode at a Trek demo day, and a guy with a Trek shirt on asked me my weight, pumped the shock and the fork up, asked me to get on, checked the sag, made an adjustment, and sent me on my way.

Just to be clear, I hope the actual comparison that's happening here is Trance 29er vs Fuel, not Trance 27.5 vs Fuel. If that's the case, I'd be willing to bet there's a lot more to question than just the suspension.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you thought about selling the hardtail and keeping
the Superfly? Then get a Fuel or Trance. Just something
else to consider.
Hey better still keep the Superfly and hardtail (Scott Scale) AND get a Fuel or Trance. A quiver of 3 bikes is not considered excessive around here is it? :)

Not sure whether the bank manager (wife) would agree though.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly my point, regarding the hype. But yes, the Anthem was a smoother ride. In theory, the shock was properly set up for me. I rode at a Trek demo day, and a guy with a Trek shirt on asked me my weight, pumped the shock and the fork up, asked me to get on, checked the sag, made an adjustment, and sent me on my way.

Just to be clear, I hope the actual comparison that's happening here is Trance 29er vs Fuel, not Trance 27.5 vs Fuel. If that's the case, I'd be willing to bet there's a lot more to question than just the suspension.
Thanks for clarifying. Yes the 27.5 vs 29er has crossed my mind too since Giant are pushing the 27.5 and there seems to be much more 27.5 stock available. I like 29ers and would prefer to stick with that but then I'm willing to try 27.5 to see what the hype is about and whether I enjoy the tweener size.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I will say, once you cut through all the hype, it is actually is a great product. I work in a shop that offers a wide selection of demo bikes, so i at least get to try out lots of things, but my last 3 personal bikes have all been Trek Fuels. The DRCV works great in my opinion.

You cant go wrong with Giant though, they make banger bikes as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.